The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (67 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
This very clean roof should not go unappreciated..

Hi ho silver

P.s ... if this is a recent photo though Brian Flairy keep an eye on those seals round your skylights as the front one there is starting to perish and dry up.

I think every skylight in this van has leaked and I've watermarks 😔

Especially the closest hatch in front of the solar. 🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just been on the direct ferries website this morning , ferry on 5th November at 11am from Newhaven to dieppe for Doc ,me and the 4 furbums... £179 . That's very good .

Now do I book it? And assume everything is going to be sorted out by then or is it tempting fate? Remember I'm a scot lol and the ferry prices go up the closer you get to your date and I dinnae like that lol.
Those dawgs make it flipping expensive.
Unless the ferry is getting full prices don't go up much on that route.
They charge £20 to change booking but often don't charge if you talk to them nicely.

I only booked two or three weeks ago may have been £10 cheaper if I'd booked a couple of months ago.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Paid £640 one way from Rosslare to Cherbourg in early July and £260 one way Calais to Dover end of August, then £190 Stranraer to Belfast but that's with all the pet cabins etc
I used to get a fortnight in Ibiza for that amount! 🤣🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Are you sure it's £20. Got charged £15 last time I used them. But you could have 4 screaming children under 5 for free! :ROFLMAO:
Yes it was £15 a couple of years back but £20 each now

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You could put a Maxxfan there if its a 400 x 400mm hole, already got wiring there, dawgs would appreciate it.
I already have a fantastic vent right next to the aircon above the cooker. And then 2 other skylights in the lounge , I think another would be overkill .

But I think the aircon unit has definitely had it

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And I thought my £194 for a return was expensive.

Sometimes we forget how cheap channels crossing are these days. 30 years ago I was paying £350 for a car & caravan Newhaven/Dieppe, that's about £650 in todays money.
In comparison to train fares I guess its not too bad priced. I do think the dog charge is a joke though .

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Re the ferry booking - for me a deadline is necessary but you and Garry seem to be working so hard already a clear deadline might not be needed. The price increase does not seem too bad if you delay booking.
You are doing such a good job cleaning upDoc you should consider charging a fortune to lazy (or old) people like me to valet their MHs. Not sure if that’s said in jest or not🤔😀🤔
Sue

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst November seems a way off I'd hold fire on booking as it's just gonna put you under pressure to get stuff finished, that's what happened with Moby I think (although there were other pressures too) and you ended up not getting him sorted fully and suffered the consequences, bother hassle and cost, whilst away.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You are doing such a good job cleaning upDoc you should consider charging a fortune to lazy (or old) people like me to valet their MHs. Not sure if that’s said in jest or not🤔😀🤔
Sue
Or finding old motorhomes, doing a custom refit job for the next owner!!!

Only part in jest as I think our next van will have to be a custom job.

I do like Doc's office style set up though.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Re the ferry booking - for me a deadline is necessary but you and Garry seem to be working so hard already a clear deadline might not be needed. The price increase does not seem too bad if you delay booking.
Sue
It's something I've considered.

But I've no idea how much folk would pay to have a motorhome washed and polished up etc . And I doubt I'd get enough to make a living out of.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Back in my boat selling days there was boys used to come & valet peoples boats for them in the marinas, 2 Polish boys and if I remember it was around €500 per boat that was for an average boat, 34ft to 38ft obviously the price changed according to size and that was around 2017, have to say they did do a very good job especially polishing the hulls and upper decks I sent a lot of stuff their way
** 1 boat probably took them a day max

Jul 30, 2019
Wirral Peninsula, Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
I'm feckin knackered , Just smiffy has sat on his arse all day ....while I've been grafting . 😁🤣🤣 .

Joking aside my arms are hanging off.

Here's some photos.

The things you've to do to get a short arse on a roof View attachment 950386View attachment 950387View attachment 950388

Panel went up easier than I thought . View attachment 950389View attachment 950390View attachment 950391

1 cup of tea and Just smiffy desperate for a pee ...so needs must he pees in a bottle on the roof lol View attachment 950392View attachment 950393

Bit of a moving back n forth fiasco to mark out ,sand ,clean and glue up the roof but went smoothly View attachment 950394View attachment 950395View attachment 950396View attachment 950397View attachment 950398View attachment 950399View attachment 950400

While he was up there garry cleaned off the old mastic tape seal along the front .

Bugger of a Job he said . New seal all done
View attachment 950401View attachment 950402View attachment 950403

Meanwhile I polished and waxed doc's Arse ..... ooer matron. View attachment 950404View attachment 950405View attachment 950406View attachment 950407

And I made a start along one side ...I've done from the rear to the hab door . You can really see the difference in this photo View attachment 950409

View attachment 950408View attachment 950410

Stopped for the night as my arms are sore. The polisher is great but it gets heavy after a while
Just catching up phew I'm knackered reading it, well done guys (y) 💪💪💪💪you make a great team.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
And they don't check them on way out ... don't even get out the bleedin van .
For the first time ever Alf was checked at Dover when leaving in 2023 .When I asked why as it had never happened before she said that it was due to brexit & ahc's being needed now so they really had to check the chips on all dogs.
But I've no idea how much folk would pay to have a motorhome washed and polished up etc
my mate used a bloke recently who does nothing else.27 pound/hour fixed price of 220. lovely job
And I doubt I'd get enough to make a living out of.
& when contacted in June first date was august 10th

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Tam, I would say get the engine sorted 1st, that Red light coming on would give me sleepless nights, and you don't want problems like that in France especially as we know how much they can charge....when they decide to open that is.:rolleyes: You should do all the hubs & brakes all round also, including new break fluid. Sods law says that what you put aside until later will fail and you will kick yourself.
On the ferry prices, I have a question please.
If I google Newhaven to Dieppe then it automatically goes to The Direct Ferry Website, put in departure dates, plus return if required and it gives me a price, but also an alternative ferry from Portsmouth to Caen with Brittany Ferries for a higher price.
I suspect it may be cheaper to ignore the Direct Ferry site and go direct to The DFDS website and book direct with them rather than a middle man agent....is that the case?
Good luck, keep up the good work, cant wait to see what the engine problem turns out to be, hope its a simple fix.(y)I also hope the economy (mpg) improves for you.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back