The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (7 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Dry day today so ...going to attempt to find this garage leak with Just smiffy applying a hose from the ground up while I sit in the garage with a torch and see if I can see where its coming in . Worse case scenario we may have to remove the rear bumper which I'd rather not do as its nicely fitted and sealed but if needs must. Also going to have a look at the lights situation as I'm convinced it's one bad connection to the rear tail light on rhs that's putting all the lights out on that side. I've a front sidelight and rear number plate light out on the lhs but I suspect that's due to a bulb and corrosion. I've new number plate lights here which I'll fit today and the new headlamps are on order. The leak is on the opposite side to that with the non working taillight . But if there's something leaking behind bumper it's worth checking both sides to avoid future problems. First thing will be to hoover up behind the bumper where the lights are as Just smiffy won't go near there the state its in just now lol

Spiddy webs and dead things everywhere

Speaking of dead things the local cats left me and the dogs a present overnight .

20240909_075359_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240909_075406_copy_1612x1209.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Also going to have a look at the lights situation as I'm convinced it's one bad connection to the rear tail light on rhs that's putting all the lights out on that side. I've a front sidelight and rear number plate light out on the lhs but I suspect that's due to a bulb and corrosion.
We have very recently been there and suffered the same Tam. I tried all I knew, as a 5A fuse in the horrendously inaccessible fuse box kept blowing. At first I thought the corroded number plate lights were at fault. Replaced with new, and the bleddy fuse blew again. Even after isolating all the side marker lights individually, I couldn't suss it out. As my usual leccie chap wasn't availble, I got in touch with another recommended leccie chap. 2.5 hours and £137 later, the @#£%^&> problem was still there. :mad: I pleaded with my usual chap to fit me in. He did, and within minutes of arriving and connecting a test lamp into that circuit, the problem was found. Apparently, the only marker light I didn't isolate in my efforts, was the top RH red marker light.
Behind it is a big structural metal bar. The minimal insulation on the lamp term8nals had worn away over the years, and was causing the circuit to short out. Gordon &^^£#@ Bennett. :doh:

He splayed them and made up a fly lead to extend the terminals, and reinsulated them. Jobs a good un. 👍

Good luck.

Jock. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
Dry day today so ...going to attempt to find this garage leak with Just smiffy applying a hose from the ground up while I sit in the garage with a torch and see if I can see where its coming in . Worse case scenario we may have to remove the rear bumper which I'd rather not do as its nicely fitted and sealed but if needs must. Also going to have a look at the lights situation as I'm convinced it's one bad connection to the rear tail light on rhs that's putting all the lights out on that side. I've a front sidelight and rear number plate light out on the lhs but I suspect that's due to a bulb and corrosion. I've new number plate lights here which I'll fit today and the new headlamps are on order. The leak is on the opposite side to that with the non working taillight . But if there's something leaking behind bumper it's worth checking both sides to avoid future problems. First thing will be to hoover up behind the bumper where the lights are as Just smiffy won't go near there the state its in just now lol

Spiddy webs and dead things everywhere

Speaking of dead things the local cats left me and the dogs a present overnight .

View attachment 946598View attachment 946599
Who the fek that trowel there???

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We have very recently been there and suffered the same Tam. I tried all I knew, as a 5A fuse in the horrendously inaccessible fuse box kept blowing. At first I thought the corroded number plate lights were at fault. Replaced with new, and the bleddy fuse blew again. Even after isolating all the side marker lights individually, I couldn't suss it out. As my usual leccie chap wasn't availble, I got in touch with another recommended leccie chap. 2.5 hours and £137 later, the @#£%^&> problem was still there. :mad: I pleaded with my usual chap to fit me in. He did, and within minutes of arriving and connecting a test lamp into that circuit, the problem was found. Apparently, the only marker light I didn't isolate in my efforts, was the top RH red marker light.
Behind it is a big structural metal bar. The minimal insulation on the lamp term8nals had worn away over the years, and was causing the circuit to short out. Gordon &^^£#@ Bennett. :doh:

He splayed them and made up a fly lead to extend the terminals, and reinsulated them. Jobs a good un. 👍

Good luck.

Jock. ;)

I've checked the fuses and they're OK...it seems to have put out the entire rhs circuit on this , for some reason though the lhs front sidelight and lhs number plate light works off the right hand side circuit and vice versa. I haven't found the fault yet ..

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Spent ages trying to suss out this leak .. think we've found the culprit but need to reseal a whole load of bits round the rear end where sealant has either perished or disappeared completely.

You start one job though and end up doing others in the process and the day runs away with you

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Spent ages trying to suss out this leak .. think we've found the culprit but need to reseal a whole load of bits round the rear end where sealant has either perished or disappeared completely.

You start one job though and end up doing others in the process and the day runs away with you
But think how happy you will be when it's all ship shape and Bristol fashion and you're having a cold beer in some warmer/sunnier climes.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Exactly the same problem Tam with opposite lights functional, etc, however, every time I turned the side lights on, it blew one of two 5A fuses which covers the side light circuits.
With being a Fiat, your fuse layout will be different to ours.........and hopefully more accessible for you.

Good luck,

Jock. :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I've checked the fuses and they're OK...it seems to have put out the entire rhs circuit on this , for some reason though the lhs front sidelight and lhs number plate light works off the right hand side circuit and vice versa. I haven't found the fault yet ..
I was told that if a whole side was out it is probably a failed relay. Passing it on in the hope it might help. Relays should be in the main fuse box under the bonnet.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I was told that if a whole side was out it is probably a failed relay. Passing it on in the hope it might help. Relays should be in the main fuse box under the bonnet.
My main fuse box is inside under the steering wheel. I'm not aware of a relay for sidelights though but I will check.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Got nowhere with the lighting fault today , think we found where the leak was , and have resealed the mouldings on the rear lhs, will retest it with water tomorrow to see if it's cured.

While checking the front sidelight bulbs I ended up removing the trims from round front lights, removed the leaking headlamp washers , blanked off the hose for those and cleaned up behind and around the headlamps, still waiting on my new lights from opie oils .

Went to change number plate lights but the ones I bought from ebay are not the Same size and don't cover exsisting holes so will need to look for other ones .

Will have another look at light issues tomorrow once I check to see if the leak is sorted and seal the other side up to prevent the same thing happening there.

Just smiffy traced the wiring back from the batteries to the big side locker where my electrics are so we've confirmed it's possible to move my battery from the boot in to that locker. That will shorten my cables for a b2b etc and will make all my electrics in the one area.

20240909_130502_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240909_120331_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240909_185622_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240909_185603_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Got nowhere with the lighting fault today , think we found where the leak was , and have resealed the mouldings on the rear lhs, will retest it with water tomorrow to see if it's cured.

While checking the front sidelight bulbs I ended up removing the trims from round front lights, removed the leaking headlamp washers , blanked off the hose for those and cleaned up behind and around the headlamps, still waiting on my new lights from opie oils .

Went to change number plate lights but the ones I bought from ebay are not the Same size and don't cover exsisting holes so will need to look for other ones .

Will have another look at light issues tomorrow once I check to see if the leak is sorted and seal the other side up to prevent the same thing happening there.

Just smiffy traced the wiring back from the batteries to the big side locker where my electrics are so we've confirmed it's possible to move my battery from the boot in to that locker. That will shorten my cables for a b2b etc and will make all my electrics in the one area.

View attachment 946976View attachment 946977View attachment 946980View attachment 946981
Something is ringing a bell here funflair JockandRita Am I right in thinking that one of these episodes turned out to be a corroded bulb holder?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Something is ringing a bell here funflair JockandRita Am I right in thinking that one of these episodes turned out to be a corroded bulb holder?
I had hoped it would be something simple like that but it seems to have no power to any of the lights on that one circuit. So my guess would have been a fuse or a relay or a bad connection in the wiring to the rear... the front sidelight bulb also being out put a spanner in that idea though. But I'll investigate it more today . If no luck I might have to get an auto spark on the case

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
In funflair Martin's case, I believe it was Jon, ie, a corroded number plate light, as they do seem to attract moisture. Thinking the same from Martin's input, I changed both over for new ones, but my problem still existed, initially intermittently, but then it became permanent, hence having to bring in an Auto Electrician.
It's just a pity my usual chap wasn't so busy that he couldn't fit me in sooner. As above, he found the fault within minutes, whereas A.N. Other couldn't in the space of 2.5hrs, but still charged for the privilege. :(

Cheers,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
If not already done Tam, I did a mod which allows me to change the dipped beam from UK to EU, and back again within seconds. It was done on the previous Hymer for me by Peter Hambilton.

Cheers,

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
I had hoped it would be something simple like that but it seems to have no power to any of the lights on that one circuit. So my guess would have been a fuse or a relay or a bad connection in the wiring to the rear... the front sidelight bulb also being out put a spanner in that idea though. But I'll investigate it more today . If no luck I might have to get an auto spark on the case
Just give em a tap, worked for the mot station:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If not already done Tam, I did a mod which allows me to change the dipped beam from UK to EU, and back again within seconds. It was done on the previous Hymer for me by Peter Hambilton.

Cheers,

That's handy to know....I think funflair mentioned that a few days back too.

I've not got the new lights yet but I'll investigate that when I'm fitting them .
Just give em a tap, worked for the mot station:rolleyes:

Yeah they never thought that one through lol. Lying barstewards

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well the leak appears to be sorted. Just some old sealant that had obviously given up over the years . Resealed it all yesterday and just given it the hose test and no more leak . I've given the other side the hose test too and no sign of that leaking but the sealant does look a bit iffy in places so I'll probably just reseal that side too

Still no joy with the lights .. I've traced all the wiring back from every side marker back to the tail lights with no sign of anything amiss , then followed the loom from the rear all the way to the front where it goes up in to the engine bay ... and all the cables amass behind the engine battery.. I think to investigate that any further I'll have to take the battery out. In my mind it has to be a connection or fuse between fuse box and where it branches off to feed the front sidelight as if it was after that I'd imagine the front one would work . It's an annoying fault . All the other lights work and they're in the same loom so I don't think it's been a mouse etc

While I've been rummaging in engine bay I've been looking at various other bits , this engine is nothing like the fiat ducato 2.8 jtd , everything on this van is massive , the turbo is completely different and not a simple job to test the waste gate on this ...the big spanner trick used on the ducato is no good. Even compared to moby it's a proper beast of a truck , the front brake calipers are nearly twice the size , it's a chunky bugger that's for sure.

Access to the engine is not the easiest but I think with intercooler removed it will be much easier. The more I poke around it though the more at ease I become with its condition. Its mostly flakey paint here and there and the mechanics and structure is very sound indeed. I think this lights issue will be something very simple it's just finding the bugger . Will try and remove battery this afternoon and have a look .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back