The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (128 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Northernraider Tam, is Garith, Garith Mark Stephens?
Eh?

Sorry had to read that a couple of times to get what you meant.

No his name is Gareth price , LLC leisure .

Works out of Colin price cars , Colin is either his father or uncle I'm confused which as I'm sure he said he was dead but then the other day he said he was on holiday. .

Thats one of the reasons I dinnae trust the guy because he tells you stuff then it changes again later.

He originally told me the old owner had died. Then he said he suffered from dementia etc .. so I've no idea if the previous owner divid George from Bridgend is alive or dead

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Lol I can see your nae listening ta yer auld Irish pal so I'll say nae more, 🤣
Well hopefully you'll get some peace of mind talking with the garage 👍
It's nowt to do with no listening chief, if that cambelt hasn't been changed and it snaps....I'm fecked.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As ,as been said before, taking it to another garage for them to look if it's been done is just going to lead to them saying yes it wants doing as it's impossible to tell if it's new or not and they won't take the chance of it breaking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Eh?

Sorry had to read that a couple of times to get what you meant.

No his name is Gareth price , LLC leisure .

Works out of Colin price cars , Colin is either his father or uncle I'm confused which as I'm sure he said he was dead but then the other day he said he was on holiday. .

Thats one of the reasons I dinnae trust the guy because he tells you stuff then it changes again later.

He originally told me the old owner had died. Then he said he suffered from dementia etc .. so I've no idea if the previous owner divid George from Bridgend is alive or dead
That's OK then it was just that a Gareth was the directory of Brewery Motors when they were a Ltd company.

Strange history on Companies House Registered in 2011, notice of compulsory strike off in 2013 which they got suspended, then dissolved in 2018, and no accounts filed, probably the reason for the strike off.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right I've just spoke with the guy who fitted the cambelt .. garry listened in.

I'm now sure the belt has definitely been changed.

The guy took photos of it stripped down which he's going to forward to me on WhatsApp. He remembered the van straight away.

He fitted a full cambelt kit with new tensioner etc.

He was asked to do the aircon and alternator belt but he couldn't get them in time and as it was done on a Friday and they were then closed for a week for holidays He refitted the old alternator and aircon belt. He said the alternator belt was in very good condition and suspected it had been replaced recently.

I mentioned the red light to him and he said he didn't test drive the van as he only has a 3.5t licence but that all the timing marks were lined up etc so it's highly unlikely that's the cause of the red light

To be honest the van drives great around town etc it's only on motorways or steep hills that the light appears which in my experience would not be timing...if timings out it usually makes a vehicle hard to start and lumpy drive. The van starts first flick of the key and is very smooth driving.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now

The guy took photos of it stripped down which he's going to forward to me on WhatsApp. He remembered the van straight away.

He was asked to do the aircon and alternator belt but he couldn't get them in time and as it was done on a Friday and they were then closed for a week for holidays He refitted the old alternator and aircon belt. He said the alternator belt was in very good condition and suspected it had been replaced recently.

I mentioned the red light to him and he said he didn't test drive the van as he only has a 3.5t licence but that all the timing marks were lined up etc so it's highly unlikely that's the cause of the red light

To be honest the van drives great around town etc it's only on motorways or steep hills that the light appears which in my experience would not be timing...if timings out it usually makes a vehicle hard to start and lumpy drive. The van starts first flick of the key and is very smooth driving.
Peace of mind achieved. Best result. Likewise mot station leave it alone as there's no good outcome from that.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I think you must get a reader plugged in that’s how I found on mine it was between the throttle pedal and ecu we followed the wiring through and found a connection,took it apart cleaned it never had a problem since .it was the same as yours on motorway inclines red light and limp home mode ,it did it in the dartford tunnel very bum clenching.🥴

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
And is that accompanied by a loss of power, or not Tam?

Great news re the cambelt change. At least that's not eating into your budget now. 👍

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Yes jock… if light is on less power, always on hills or engine under pressure

I would change the fuel filter. I appreciate it isn't a motorhome but I had an issue with a new to me boat. As soon as I put the engine under any sustained load it used to lose power. I thought i was looking at a fuel pump rebuild but was advised to change the filter first. I did do and it run like a dream

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Only need a shunt if I go for the eco worthy batteries. If I go for the fogstar then I can see what the battery is doing with the app.

You can Tam as I did but the shunt is more accurate and also tells you other things such as engine battery voltage, incoming yield from solar

belt n braces, Fogstar battery and Victron shunt is what i’d recommend

Al

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Yes jock… if light is on less power, always on hills or engine under pressure…
Exact same symptoms I had last winter, re turbo boost pressure loss Garry, and it was a tiny hole in the rubber hose causing the problem. You might just get lucky with just tightening up the jubilee clips.
If not that problem, then I can't help, however, SM0129's suggestion re the fuel filter is a good shout. 👍

Cheers,

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s

I'll not say I tealt ye to stop fecking worrying BUT... I tealt ye to stop fecking worrying about stuff! 🤣🤣

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes complete loss of power
Check the turbo pipes for damage, holes etc, or just loose, we had the latter on one of our MHs/PVCs and I'm pretty sure the symptoms were just like yours although ours decided to go into limp mode just as we were overtaking! 😳

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Check the turbo pipes for damage, holes etc, or just loose, we had the latter on one of our MHs/PVCs and I'm pretty sure the symptoms were just like yours although ours decided to go into limp mode just as we were overtaking! 😳
See also post #797.

Cheers,

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just had the Flair out to fill up with lpg £9.60 and fill up with diesel £94. Skint noo after lidl last night tae lol.

Anyway around town the light didn't come on apart from one quite steep hill just before lpg garage. So we took it a wee blast up the a30 .. basically it comes on whenever you increase the demand for power and when it's no longer needed it goes off. I'm convinced it's something simple but the engine stuff is shelved till next week when garry is back from London. Easier to do checks with 2 than one person. Dry today and I need to clean all the moss and grime off from around all my doorseals and windows etc as it's causing little leaks from rainwater channels etc .. so that will be today's job, give all the outside a good wash. Tomorrow I have some electrical jobs to do inside and it's to rain all weekend. Gary's off to London tomorrow to collect cintia. Then we will start the engine analysis and the front wheel vibration and brakes investigation from Monday, generator comes after that.

I'll order the bits for my electrical system over the weekend

Trying to prioritise stuff is the difficult part to be honest as there's jobs need doing everywhere . But as I've to live in it while doing stuff the interior bits are equally important.

So those desperate to see genie etc working you'll have to be patient as its not a huge priority right now .

Will get to it eventually 😁

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
every motorhome needs a genie..

GIF by Nate Makuch

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not if Tam's is the 2.8JTD (albeit belt driven rather than chain), but I agree Jon if it's the older 2.8TDi, ie, mechanical injection.

Northernraider. I too have reservations about the invoice for the cambelt change Tam. There's nothing about it that looks right. :(
Having suffered a cambelt failure at the hands of a "so called" professional commercial vehicle repairers, the MH was off the road for weeks whilst the insurers sorted out a new engine. Get the covers off and have a good snout at the belt.

Good luck,

I'm under the impression they were a different series Jock, Wikipedia seems to agree. I knew someone who thought he had a 3 litre in a Flair similar to yours, had it remapped, it kept on going into limp mode and then he discovered it was actually a 2.8 and thats why the remap was tripping it up.

Originally there were models with three engine options, all of type 8140 of 2.8 liters. A variant was a suction diesel with 66 kW (89 hp), but they rarely sold. Another had turbocharger, intercooler and 78 kW (105 hp). The last variant gave 92 kW (123 hp) and had common rail injection. Shortly after receiving the largest engine variable geometry turbocharger and an output of 107 kW (143 hp).

In 2003 came the F1A engine with 2.3-litre stroke volume and second-generation common rail injection with 74 kW (99 hp) and 88 kW (118 hp), and in 2004 came the new F1C engine of 3.0 liters, based on F1A with timing chain and 100 kW (134 hp) or 122 kW (164 hp). At this time, the old 8140-engine was completely replaced.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ve told him to do all the little jobs over the weekend as I don’t want him under the van or moving mechanicals while I’m away…. I don’t want to come back to a smelly mess on my drive and besides all the local cats will 💩 on him if he’s trapped under the van…🥴

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back