Rally Chat The 'fairness' of booking to attend rallies (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If any one is still upset or confused I'm running a C&CC rally at Lyndon Top Rutland Water till September 1st so if your a member come along, no secret waiting list or gentleman's handshakes to get in just turn up, details on out and about😁

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Back a few years ago I was attending a rally in the Midlands and complained to the organiser that there were very few meets in the South East of England where we live. Her answer was very simple. If you want one why not organise it yourself.

Good point well made I reckoned. So we did. It was bloody hard work but people seemed to enjoy it. And we enjoyed it as well. Then Covid and hip operations came along, and after that sadly we decided that we were too old now.

So my view is that those complaining about how others organise the meets they have put themselves out to do for free should have a go yourselves and run one in any way you want. And if you all do that there will be so much more choice for Funsters that we will all be too busy going to meets to moan.

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
I'm not sure I would ever attend a rally tbh, but i agree with Minxy - this makes rallies a clique. It makes for a core group who know each other very well and everyone else on the periphery.

Also explains why I've never met any funsters on my travels - they're all huddled together somewhere else!!! :rofl:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I'm not sure I would ever attend a rally tbh, but i agree with Minxy - this makes rallies a clique. It makes for a core group who know each other very well and everyone else on the periphery.

Also explains why I've never met any funsters on my travels - they're all huddled together somewhere else!!! :rofl:
Your not in the same field as me then but neither is anyone else

17243994957637816284166507933856.jpg

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Maybe some of the members on this thread should just organise a "moaning meet". You can have your own " moany mates" attending and just exclude those who just go to meets to enjoy themselves and associate with others.
You certainly seem to know each other.
(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A

A core group?

Sixty odd thousand members, just how big is this core?

Perhaps it’s worth reminding everyone that Motorhome Fun does not organise meets or rallies, there are no clubs with clubs, no inner circle, nothing that exists anywhere other than in peoples heads!

Yes members of Motorhome Fun arrange to meet up! Motorhome Fun doesn’t

If every member got of his, her, they, it’s arse ( yes we are all busy and have sick people to contend with 🙄) and organised a meet up, even if it was a single night meet, it would take us SEVEN YEARS to attend them all

That’s ignoring the practical aspects such as location ect

I’ve organised rallies hog roasts, bands, DJ’s etc in the past and I was always glad to guarantee numbers to make sure the spaces were full and financial commitments were met. Was I worried about making sure the whole world knew about it, openness, transparency, fairness? Nope didn’t give it a thought! I’d booked stuff, I’d organised it and I was happy to fill the numbers

Could I have done it differently? Yes, would I? No Anyone can organise a meet, and if you think it should be done in a certain way, fill yer boots, but don’t come crying and bleating that people you’ve never met have let you down and are refusing to cough up what they owe, coz they will!

I do agree that if MHF organised an official rally it should be posted up with a first come first served basis, clear and transparent, which it would undoubtedly be

But if I wanted to host a Rugby meet, I’d be sending out PM’s to all the MHF members that regularly insult each other on the rugby forum, after all its bad enough I’d have to invite Welshman, but imagine a Wendy ball fan wanting to come and keep asking about Scrums or the ‘mark’ rule!

Unthinkable

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Surely if you are organising a rally you want your friends to be at it , if it's open you may get people who you can't stand at the expense of your friends not getting on it.
We see on here folks putting others on ignore for the smallest things, do they do the same at rallies?
If you want to ensure your friend can attend then make it a private event, just don't pretend it's a fully open and equally bookable meet for all Funsters.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
If you want to ensure your friend can attend then make it a private event, just don't pretend it's a fully open and equally bookable meet for all Funsters.
There is no pretence with the meet that you refer to in your first post. It was never on the forum openly. You just happened to find out about it, and didn't/wouldn't want to have attended anyway 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps it’s worth reminding everyone that Motorhome Fun does not organise meets or rallies, there are no clubs with clubs, no inner circle, nothing that exists anywhere other than in peoples heads!
So what do you call it when some Funsters get preferential treatment by being allowed to book before others? That's the main thing that I'm concerned about, we're either all equal or we're not.

If it's a 'private meet/rally' which may have availability for others to attend too once the regulars have booked then say so, just be transparent about it.

Going back to the start of this all and the reason I did this thread I know for a fact that the current way of giving those who are at a rally the option to pre-book for the following year (so it is then fully subscribed) has definitely stopped some Funsters from being active on this forum and possibly stopped them being continuing members. That just goes against the grain of what the forum is meant to be (in regard to rallies).

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There is no pretence with the meet that you refer to in your first post. It was never on the forum openly.
So was it a private meet then? 🤔

You just happened to find out about it
Yes I did, you may not have posted about it but others did:

Thread 'Bridlington 2024?' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bridlington-2024.296203/

Thread 'Vacancy for Bridlington Rally next week' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/vacancy-for-bridlington-rally-next-week.302444/

and didn't/wouldn't want to have attended anyway 🤷‍♀️
How do you know that I wouldn't have wanted to go? I live not far away and may have decided to try to do so as I could have driven home fairly quickly if the need arose, I, and others, never had the opportunity.

I just used Brid as an example for this thread, not as one to single out for criticism, as my concern is for every rally.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
So was it a private meet then? 🤔

Yes I did, you may not have posted about it but others did:

Thread 'Bridlington 2024?' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/bridlington-2024.296203/

Thread 'Vacancy for Bridlington Rally next week' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/vacancy-for-bridlington-rally-next-week.302444/

How do you know that I wouldn't have wanted to go? I live not far away and may have decided to try to do so as I could have driven home fairly quickly if the need arose, I, and others, never had the opportunity.

I just used Brid as an example for this thread, not as one to single out for criticism, as my concern is for every rally.
I think you are forgetting who actually organises these rallies. There should be no expectations. Any rally organised is a bonus for those that are able to attend, whether it is a private invite or one that is made public on the forum. People are giving up their own free time for others.
There were about 15 rallies on the calendar for 2024 (not including meets - those that you book direct with the venue). You have highlighted one that wasn't on the forum.
Emmit has already said that he will give everybody a fair crack of the whip on his limited numbered rallies.
Jaws rally is large enough to be open to all.
I've said that our rally has a list already started for 2025, but there will be places available for any paid up funster to join in.
From memory, there are places still available on Beemobile and MisterB rallies and also at Quackers place.

I really don't see how you can say that there is a lack of fairness in booking rallies.

Do you want to come to Drax 2025? It's not far from you......

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think you are forgetting who actually organises these rallies.
No I'm not and I'm sure everyone appreciates organisers.

There should be no expectations. Any rally organised is a bonus for those that are able to attend, whether it is a private invite or one that is made public on the forum.
Hmmm ... that's it though isn't it, some are more 'bonused' than others.

People are giving up their own free time for others.
Yup, been there, done it, got the numerous t-shirts.

There were about 15 rallies on the calendar for 2024 (not including meets - those that you book direct with the venue). You have highlighted one that wasn't on the forum.
It's difficult to highlight more as I wouldn't be aware of them would I. 😐

Emmit has already said that he will give everybody a fair crack of the whip on his limited numbered rallies.
Which is IMV great. 🙃

Jaws rally is large enough to be open to all.
Great again.

I've said that our rally has a list already started for 2025, but there will be places available for any paid up funster to join in.
From memory, there are places still available on Beemobile and MisterB rallies.

I really don't see how you can say that there is a lack of fairness in booking rallies.
I've already given my views and reasons why, you may not 'see' them but they are valid nonetheless.

Do you want to come to Drax 2025? It's not far from you......
I may well do so, for this year's Drax as we'd got over our horrendous colds by the beginning of July I had considered seeing if there were any places available in case there'd been any cancellations but by then hubby had already arranged to deliver something to someone in Scotland on 1st August so we decided to have a holiday up there. I'm sure we'd have enjoyed Drax especially as you seem to have had better weather than we have been having! 😐

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If every member got of his, her, they, it’s arse ( yes we are all busy and have sick people to contend with 🙄)
Gee, did you mean for that to come over as patronising as it did Eddie? 😳

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
If any one is still upset or confused I'm running a C&CC rally at Lyndon Top Rutland Water till September 1st so if your a member come along, no secret waiting list or gentleman's handshakes to get in just turn up, details on out and about😁
I wish I had known last week (no blame intended) we might have come down (yes we are 5 yr members of the CCC) however we are now using the weekend to get ready for our two week Swiss German holiday🙄🙄

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
I've already given my views and reasons why, you may not 'see' them but they are valid nonetheless.
I was pointing out that those rallies, that I mentioned, were open to all. i.e nothing unfair about the booking process.

It's difficult to highlight more as I wouldn't be aware of them would I. 😐
Why would assume that there were more?

I may well do so, for this year's Drax as we'd got over our horrendous colds by the beginning of July I had considered seeing if there were any places available in case there'd been any cancellations but by then hubby had already arranged to deliver something to someone in Scotland on 1st August so we decided to have a holiday up there. I'm sure we'd have enjoyed Drax especially as you seem to have had better weather than we have been having! 😐
That was unfortunate with the weather in Scotland. It was rather hot at Drax this year....made up for the year before. The good thing about Drax is that we have a room large enough for everyone, so the weather can't stop play.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Just to throw a dead cat onto the ring can I ask who is paying the insurance for these "private " meets/rallies, personally I don't care how Jim uses my subs but I have to say if there are reportedly 60,000 Funsters we couldn't all get on a rally anyway. But is insurance included in the rally costs? if not I can see where Minxy is coming from with regard to two tier membership.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Just to throw a dead cat onto the ring can I ask who is paying the insurance for these "private " meets/rallies, personally I don't care how Jim uses my subs but I have to say if there are reportedly 60,000 Funsters we couldn't all get on a rally anyway. But is insurance included in the rally costs? if not I can see where Minxy is coming from with regard to two tier membership.
MHF has insurance that Jim pays. Anyone organising a rally, as long as they inform Jim, are covered under this insurance. It's basically a public liability insurance. Your motorhomes are covered under your own insurance. It is irrelevant as to whether it's a private rally or a publicised one.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Lisa

If the list is open, we'd love to come again please

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
MichaelT we walked past your van tonight, was gonna say hello but you looked comfy in front of the TV👍👍

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
MichaelT we walked past your van tonight, was gonna say hello but you looked comfy in front of the TV👍👍
Didn't know you were on site, did see a big carthago come in yesterday. Pop round when it's stopped raining, I may brave the bike and park run later.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Why is this topic still being discussed? Jims post seemed unambiguous and frankly makes any further posts pointless!

Because it’s Fun. Jim merely pointed out that Fun doesn’t have any rules (other than those associated with safety) about how rallies should be organised/run. The discussion is eliciting both how current organisers do things and how potential attendees find the ‘booking’ process.

Why would you want to quell that discussion?

Ian

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Didn't know you were on site, did see a big carthago come in yesterday. Pop round when it's stopped raining, I may brave the bike and park run later.
Edit: P155ing down so park run idea cancelled 🤣🤣🤣

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I’m not on site, I just had a drive down in the car to see Rob Turner in the big Carthago, went down to have a look at the mirror cameras, they do look good and from what I could see a very very tidy install, good pictures from the camera too, be interesting to hear how he fares after months of use in different seasons 👍👍👍
No doubt we’ll meet again next time you are down there with a THS with the CCC! I really ought to find out how these THS’s work, I’m clueless🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙄

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I really ought to find out how these THS’s work, I’m clueless🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🙄
TBH Adie, you don't know what you are missing out on. We recently spent a week at Sheringham High School followed by 4 x days at Heacham, both on the north Norfolk Coast. £16 and £13 pupn respectively. Toilets and showers available at both locations, with Social Club facilities at the latter. Bus stops at both locations too.

We don't do sites in the UK these days, but brefer Meets, Rallies, THS, Pub Stopovers, or the occasional CL/CS type location.

I appreciate you are both still working, but especially at this time of year, there are a lot of Meets and THS to choose from, often just an hour from home. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
TBH Adie, you don't know what you are missing out on. We recently spent a week at Sheringham High School followed by 4 x days at Heacham, both on the north Norfolk Coast. £16 and £13 pupn respectively. Toilets and showers available at both locations, with Social Club facilities at the latter. Bus stops at both locations too.

We don't do sites in the UK these days, but brefer Meets, Rallies, THS, Pub Stopovers, or the occasional CL/CS type location.

I appreciate you are both still working, but especially at this time of year, there are a lot of Meets and THS to choose from, often just an hour from home. (y)

Cheers,

Yes I agree jock that’s why I think I’m missing out on some cheap weekends, sometimes all we want is a field for a few nights, doesn’t have to be near town or anything, sometimes a quiet weekend with a few conversations, few beers is all I need!
Where is the best place to find out about THS’s are they advertised in advance?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Yes I agree jock that’s why I think I’m missing out on some cheap weekends, sometimes all we want is a field for a few nights, doesn’t have to be near town or anything, sometimes a quiet weekend with a few conversations, few free biscuits is all I need!
😢😢😢

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes I agree jock that’s why I think I’m missing out on some cheap weekends, sometimes all we want is a field for a few nights, doesn’t have to be near town or anything, sometimes a quiet weekend with a few conversations, few beers is all I need!
Agreed Adie. (y) They are listed in the C&CC's Out & About magazine, and on their App from Google or Apple Playstores.

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back