Rally Chat The 'fairness' of booking to attend rallies (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I discovered something today to do with fun rallies that has quite concerned me and seems to be at odds with the welcoming and friendly fun 'community'.

I always thought that those wanting to attend a rally could only book once a thread was created live on the forum on which they would say they wanted to go and were then added to the list, however it appears that some organisers allow those already attending a rally to book it for the following year.

Bridlington, for example, wasn't even posted on the forum as it was fully booked likely by the previous year's attendees, it was only when someone started a thread asking about it that other funsters became aware of it being held.

Personally I find this very unfair as it means others don't have the opportunity to book and enjoy the rallies and has got me wondering how many others are done this 'selective' way.

The questions I have which I'd like to get answers to and comments on are:
  1. Is it acceptable for MHF/rally organisers to allow this practice?
  2. Do others think this type of booking 'favoritism' is fair?
  3. Should rallies only be available for booking once announced on the forum so they are open to all Funsters equally?
I have to say that this discovery has left a very bad taste in my mouth. 😐

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If a group of people have a great time and all agree to do it again “next year” where’s the problem?

That being the case, what’s the point in advertising an event that’s full?

I’m assuming you didn’t get the PM about the Bridlington rally?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I understand your comments Maz, and can sympathise. There are Funsters who don’t check in regularly and obviously they miss the chance of some very popular rallies.
Personally I think the best solution is for the rally organisers to post a thread advising that bookings will ‘open’ at a specific time on a given date (a weeks notice at least). I know there is at least one that tends to do this.
Imho this gives everyone a fair chance at attending some great rallies.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
In my view you need to take your hat off to anyone organising a rally it's a lot of hard work and big outlay of time and money and not a lot of people are willing to come forward to organise these rallies.
So I can't see any problems in the organiser running that rally how they find fit, after all it's their rally their rules as long as they are executed within the "fun rally rules"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Unfortunately, this is a trait that manifests in most clubs and is completely understandable due to a regular core of people who are more active at attending rallies where friendships and relationships form and people are creatures of habit and want to meet with the people they know and in someways make rallies more appealing. Whether this behaviour is acceptable to the overall membership is questionable if they are being excluded and it becomes a private club within a club. The concern is if rules are made to change the way things operate it may lead to a breakaway rally club so the current members can still meet up with long established friends. Sorry, don’t know the answer but it’s something which impacts most clubs, always talk of cliques and inner circles.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Inviting previous rally attendees before opening up in general has/happened for rallies in the past.

Not being a massive rally attendee, particularly now as I’m doing my house, I have no problem with inviting previous attendees.

If a group of people get together and all get along and enjoy the same activities be it music or whatever all the better.
Especially if space is limited.

Reactions: JJ

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I believe this issue has arisen before and Jim is quite comfortable with the status quo.
I do get your point Mel, but rallies aren't just a location or a site, they are also about the people who attend creating a certain atmosphere or ambience.
It's also, not a commercial operation.
When space is limited, how best to organise?

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I can sympathise with the view that rallies should be open to all, but, then maybe we should all be responsible for organising one as well? I certainly don't have the time or inclination to organise one, so hats off to all those who do, and if they want to organise in a certain way, that is up to them, sadly it might mean we are missing out on some great ones that we are not aware of, but so be it.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I like the way Emmit does it.
The funsters are given fair warning when a rally booking ability goes live and its up to you to ensure you are able or remember to book it.
This ensures there are no favourites and the event is available to all paid up members to book.
Yes we have missed out on this method but it's still the best method in my honest opinion.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
This has been around for a while, there were complaints when it was realised PM's were being sent to advise in advance of a posting and rallies were booked up in minutes by the selected group. Pre booked is not new and not friendly.
Those old enough will remember all of the things that happened at ' facts ', exclude new members joining in and things go very wrong. Other private rallies and breakaways.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
It’s a difficult one but understandable if there are a group of people who want to rally together with the benefits of Fun insurance etc.

I remember a ukulele rally that was organised a few years ago (it sadly didn’t go ahead) but the fastest finger first system meant that it was almost entirely non-ukulele players that booked on it. Some even admitted that they didn’t like ukes but they were willing to put up with them 🤷‍♀️

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It would be annoying but as others have said if the people organising are within what guidelines are set out it's fair enough. We organise a wine tasting for the local U3a it's often overbooked and we operate a waiting list. We did think of offering people on the waiting list priority booking for the next one maybe thats a suggestion.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I like the way Emmit does it.
The funsters are given fair warning when a rally booking ability goes live and its up to you to ensure you are able or remember to book it.
This ensures there are no favourites and the event is available to all paid up members to book.
Yes we have missed out on this method but it's still the best method in my honest opinion.

I don't like the way Emmit does it, far too stressful for an old man!

The last time I tried, I hit the button dead on 1 minute passed ( didn't want to be early and ignored) and I was number 17 on the reserve list! 😄

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It would be annoying but as others have said if the people organising are within what guidelines are set out it's fair enough. We organise a wine tasting for the local U3a it's often overbooked and we operate a waiting list. We did think of offering people on the waiting list priority booking for the next one maybe thats a suggestion.
OR, perhaps just the first few on the reserve list, this would introduce new blood but not at the expense of the ' core' group? 🤔

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Inviting previous rally attendees before opening up in general has/happened for rallies in the past.

Not being a massive rally attendee, particularly now as I’m doing my house, I have no problem with inviting previous attendees.
But is that fair to all Funsters?

If a group of people get together and all get along and enjoy the same activities be it music or whatever all the better.
Especially if space is limited.
How do you know others who haven't attended before won't get along though?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If a group of people have a great time and all agree to do it again “next year” where’s the problem?
It is depriving other funsters of attending, it's either a Funsters rally or a private members group.

That being the case, what’s the point in advertising an event that’s full?
But it shouldn't already be full should it?

I’m assuming you didn’t get the PM about the Bridlington rally?
Nope, never knew about it but couldn't say whether I'd have gone or not anyway, so no sour grapes, I just don't think it's fair.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How do you know others who haven't attended before won't get along though?
You don't, but is it worth the risk to an organiser who has previously run an oversubscribed successful rally, those folk want to do the same again next year.

Nothing stopping you Mel, from organising & running any rally anytime

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
It is depriving other funsters of attending, it's either a Funsters rally or a private members group.

But it shouldn't already be full should it?

Nope, never knew about it but couldn't say whether I'd have gone or not anyway, so no sour grapes, I just don't think it's fair.
Have you supported any "open" rallies not seen you supporting any so why think it's not fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back