The disused railway line and voie vert thread (3 Viewers)

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Whilst I m here, I ve been doing some map planning for one of our upcoming holidays and noted a plan for a voie vert sort of trail from the Atlantic to the Med which is not the canal du Midi but in the shadows of the Pyrenees.
The Pyrenean Piedmont.
What I read was it was supposed to be completed in 2022.
I then found this website https://www.af3v.org/les-voies-vert...ont-pyreneen-de-tarbes-a-lannemezan/#headCart and if you scroll down a little on the left hand side is an option to view the map

Having taken a look at it, there are, from what i can see, a few of the shorter voie verts we have done, missing, however, it is a great little reference tool to check out an area that you might be going to or find yourself in

Worthy of a bookmark for me
1676721437314.png

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Here is a link to info on La Velo Francette which runs from Caen (Ouistreham ferryport) to La Rochelle. We have cycled various stages in the past and much of the route is off-road along canal banks or disused railway lines. The various stages are explained well on the website.

Thanks for this - another one to add to the list!

I had to chuckle at this on the website:

“Note that in France, it is still relatively difficult to travel by train with a bike.”

Which is the exact opposite of what we have experienced in recent years!

BCBC7F2A-90B6-40AE-AC80-943EA1DEC32E.jpeg

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Here is a link to info on the ViaRhona which runs from Geneva to the Med. It's another one that we have done a few stages of and combined a few days cycling south of Tain l'Hermitage with a detour along La Dolce Via in the summer of 2020. Click on "The Route" tab at the top of the ViaRhona home page for detailed info on the various stages.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
We should be off to the Aude and Herault region in April/May where the Passapais is very very high on the agenda as well as Perpignan Thuir, bits of the canal du Midi and one which I think is high in the Pyrenees and yet flat. We also are going to try putting the bikes on le petit jaune train and hopefully cycle back down the main road.

Always looking for anyone with previous experience of these for us to learn from.
Great resource Suavecarve thanks. We have camped at St Pons de Thomieres and done the Passa Pais east to the end at Bedarieux and west for 15 k or so. Surface is hard packed gravel for the most part and not too busy or steep, although it is quite near the busy D908 for most of its length. The “ worst” bit we came across was just west of Olargues where route deviates from old railway and the diversion is a very steep and rough.
However Olargues is a very pretty village and worth a stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Just doing research for trips later this year and found a link to La Flow Velo cycle route that runs between Thiviers (Dordogne) to Fouras on the Atlantic coast (and by ferry to the Ile d'Aix if you like). It's mainly voie vertes with some stretches of quiet roads but you can find details of the stages by clicking on the "All stages" tab on the website.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just doing research for trips later this year and found a link to La Flow Velo cycle route that runs between Thiviers (Dordogne) to Fouras on the Atlantic coast (and by ferry to the Ile d'Aix if you like). It's mainly voie vertes with some stretches of quiet roads but you can find details of the stages by clicking on the "All stages" tab on the website.
We LL be off there in June I think.
Off to the vennbahn in the morning (Belgian German border from Aachen to troisvierges) but unsure which way to tackle it yet owing to weather forecast. At least 2 more threads incoming shortly

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
But beware the one in Spain between Alcaniz and Tortosa - it’s a beautiful track and some stunning scenery. But there are lots of tunnels, some up to 700m and very dark. Which for those of us with ebikes with feeble and badly aligned lights is not good news, particularly when you meet someone coming the other way and end up crashing over the wooden kerb and smashing yourself up!

But for those who are properly set up I can thoroughly recommend Camping La Terra Alta in the wonderfully named Bot - it’s an excellent little site with direct access to the Via Verde, and is ACSI (on the app, not yet in the book.)

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
I have tried to find a link for Portuguese vias verde but no luck. Does anyone know what they're called, or have a weblink?
Jon

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
Thanks, we have found the Spanish one and are using it at the moment.
On vv del Valle del Erasma

I am struggling with Portugal though

Just done
vv Ruta de la Plata
Vv del valle de Loredo
Vv del Pas

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Just done
vv Ruta de la Plata
Vv del valle de Loredo
Vv del Pas
If you can , create a thread or journal with photos and a brief write up of those individually and then put a link into this thread (or if you use another medium for write ups)
I ll see what i can find later for Portuguese disused railway lines

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010

Just done
vv Ruta de la Plata
Vv del valle de Loredo
Vv del Pas
Here's one: https://viaalgarviana.org/en
I've done stages 11-14 westwards from the summit of Foia (@3000' asl, P4N, great start!) and stage 9. It's not all bikeable, some carries involved so not all stages are suitable for e-bikes

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
While I m here technically not a voie verte but if anyone wants to go up the champs Elysee and cycle over la Louvre and under (ish) the Eiffel 🗼 then here's how we did it.
NB rotator cuff injury took over a year to get back to near normal

Bon Chance !
Thread 'Paris by train and then biking.' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/paris-by-train-and-then-biking.270411/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back