The disused railway line and voie vert thread (2 Viewers)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As will be seen below we have found a number of Disused railway lines and voie verts (traffic free cycling routes) in France and the links are all below so you can go directly to one which fancy having a look at.
It would be great if others added their routes and a link so there was just a one place finds all routes.
Shouldnt be limited to just France, it just happens to be where we go on holiday.
We like the disused railway lines for scenery, generally flatter and no traffic. We are relatively fit but not cyclists and have fairly decent e bikes.

I think it would be better to not comment on this thread but to comment on the individual threads and keep this as a Gateway to finding them all nice and easily.

If you know a voie vert or disused railway line that would fit with amateur cyclists then put a link in or create a thread and put the link in here.

Bordeaux town centre from the East

Uzes (Great aire with great wine) onto the Pont Du Gard

Carpentras to Jonquieres (expect it to be extended)

At the top of the Gorges of Ardeche

Lamastre, Les Cheylards, Les Ollieres, St Agreve. 4 sections of disused railway

La Via Fluvia from La Loire to La Rhone

La Dolca de la Payee Privas to Le Poozin

Last edited:
OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I just remembered we did another one/two on the Dordogne but the wife didnt tell me to do a thread but the pictures are on the photo of the day thread and it runs from Saint caprice into Bergerac and the other one goes from Sarlat to Cazoules and the pictures can be seen here on pages 802 and 803 of the photo of the day thread

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I just remembered we did another one/two on the Dordogne but the wife didnt tell me to do a thread but the pictures are on the photo of the day thread and it runs from Saint caprice into Bergerac and the other one goes from Sarlat to Cazoules and the pictures can be seen here on pages 802 and 803 of the photo of the day thread

Mousy

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
1673465989934.png

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Whilst I am here, we will be doing the Vennbahn which runs from Aachen to Troisverges (or something similar) in March this year, there is another one in Luxembourg and potentially following a bit of the Meuse but dont know where yet.

We should be off to the Aude and Herault region in April/May where the Passapais is very very high on the agenda as well as Perpignan Thuir, bits of the canal du Midi and one which I think is high in the Pyrenees and yet flat. We also are going to try putting the bikes on le petit jaune train and hopefully cycle back down the main road.

At the moment our June/July holiday is in the planning stages of following the Danube from Source to either Vienna or Bratislava. This is part of a huge Velo that I think runs from Nantes to Istanbul (or the Black Sea)

Always looking for anyone with previous experience of these for us to learn from.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Not in France but Northern Spain. Santelices.
Old railway track.
Not to far from the ferries

Stopped over for a couple of days last year and a bit of activity from cyclists

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
At the moment our June/July holiday is in the planning stages of following the Danube from Source to either Vienna or Bratislava. This is part of a huge Velo that I think runs from Nantes to Istanbul (or the Black Sea)

Always looking for anyone with previous experience of these for us to learn from.

We’ve cycled La Vélodyssée pre-Covid in two parts - one year from Roscoff down to Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie in the Vendee, and the following year from Santander to Nantes, with bikes on the train back up to Morlaix and the short cycle to Roscoff on both occasions. We’re ‘relaxed’ cyclists, rather than ‘nose to the front wheel’ and can break a journey if a good glass of wine beckons! ;)

The EuroVelo 6 Atlantic to Black Sea route is something that keeps nagging me to attempt, but I doubt we could devote the time to doing it in one hit, so how to plan the sections? Some online blogs to catch for tips.

Do you have any more details of the ‘flat’ route in the Pyrenees that you mentioned?

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We’ve cycled La Vélodyssée pre-Covid in two parts - one year from Roscoff down to Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie in the Vendee, and the following year from Santander to Nantes, with bikes on the train back up to Morlaix and the short cycle to Roscoff on both occasions. We’re ‘relaxed’ cyclists, rather than ‘nose to the front wheel’ and can break a journey if a good glass of wine beckons! ;)

The EuroVelo 6 Atlantic to Black Sea route is something that keeps nagging me to attempt, but I doubt we could devote the time to doing it in one hit, so how to plan the sections? Some online blogs to catch for tips.

Do you have any more details of the ‘flat’ route in the Pyrenees that you mentioned?
We are similar cyclists ! If you look at our threads we have quite an amount of beer being drunk as it seems very rude to pass a cold leffe or even Jupiter. We are not cyclists at all and havent had the bikes out since the last voie vert in September.
We have done bits of La Velodyssee but noted how the wind makes it hard work one way, but we always return the route back to the van so we only do 30-40 kms one way at a time so it takes hour and half or 2 hours return.
I will find this flat pyrenees one again. (Numerous websites visited and didnt bookmark it)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I make you right on that one!

For the Pyrenees in general think I’ll hitch the trailer up and take the quad for some dirt road exploration. Already eyeing the Western Alps and the tracks linking the disused fortifications for summer next year.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I make you right on that one!

For the Pyrenees in general think I’ll hitch the trailer up and take the quad for some dirt road exploration. Already eyeing the Western Alps and the tracks linking the disused fortifications for summer next year.
Keep an eye on La Fluvia voie vert.
They are planning on building an extension to the current one which would then link up La Loire to La Rhone joining at Seyssel.
There were 3 plans in joining it up
1) building a tunnel about 5 kms long through the mountain
2) building a bridge over the trees so you cycle on it above the tree line
3) Something that I cant remember so it wasnt as exciting as the first 2.

Then you will be able to cycle from Nantes to just short of Marseilles (as who wants to cycle into Marseilles!)

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Just been on this site - cycle.travel - and have downloaded the app, which for the moment is only available on ios - iphone, ipad etc. Have to say I was quite impressed, so much so that I have subscribed. For the princely sum of £1.75 per month you can choose which map you want to use for route planning. Amongst others O/S for UK, IGN for France etc etc. I know there are other mapping apps out there but to me this appears very versatile and good value for money. Just my take and not in any way connected with the developer.
Thanks to suavecarve for pointing me in the right direction and for his previous posts!

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Lovely disused railway voie verte in Burgundy from Chalons Sue Saone to Macon passing through vineyards and by delightful villages and towns including Cluny. You can even race against High speed Trains in some places. We’ll be there again this year.
Thanks for this. Any recommendations for sites/aires please?

Apr 21, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail T680
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for this. Any recommendations for sites/aires please?
There is a site in Cluny and one in Cormartin - both have direct access to the trail. Another site at St Boil with easy access to trail. There is an Aire at St Genoux Le National right by the trail. There are others too M. We have stayed at all of the 3 sites above and all are good.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Theres one just across the road from camping st claire neufchatel en bray, the station is a coffee shop. Not sure how far or where the line goes.
Dieppe to Forges les Eaux
We are doing 1, 2 or 3 Newhaven Dieppes this year so will be doing this when we muck up and get back too early !
1676638096979.png

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
There is a site in Cluny and one in Cormartin - both have direct access to the trail. Another site at St Boil with easy access to trail. There is an Aire at St Genoux Le National right by the trail. There are others too M. We have stayed at all of the 3 sites above and all are good.
Theres one just across the road from camping st claire neufchatel en bray, the station is a coffee shop. Not sure how far or where the line goes.
Thanks guys. Good to get these! (y)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Great thread Suavecarve, very helpful 👍. In France there is a lovely free aire at Clerac which is near a few cycle routes. Also, not in France but, there's a nice free aire at Cabra in Spain which is right on a Vias verde and a few miles north of this aire is another paid aire which has the option of ehu and is very reasonably priced at Dona Mencia which is also on the same Vias Verde.

Screenshot_2023-02-18-12-17-20-56_ef26521147f81e9c26de7b5bf40b8a89.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-18-12-00-55-09_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-18-12-01-35-40_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-18-12-15-59-53_b0d1766f60b668e420bb00da7528f71a.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
London to Paris

Cycled a few bits to the north of Paris

Just to mention that this route goes right past the front door of that well known
overnight stop/ camperstop at Neufchatel en Bray.

Recorded as 22.5 miles one way to Dieppe.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back