Taking your pet back to the EU with an EU pet passport.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
When you take your pet back into the EU, from the UK, with a Portuguese EU pet passport, what's the procedure with regard to worming, fit to travel, fees and requirements? (last time we went abroad we had the UK health check paperwork)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
My Irish born dog has a Belgian issued pet passport as he predates Brexit. We just show it at Folkestone or Dover. They check his microchip and off we go.

Going back to the UK we get his worming done, usually in France, although once in Belgium, and go home. Same chip checks as before plus the worming section. Not had any problems.

Upvote 0

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
My Irish born dog has a Belgian issued pet passport as he predates Brexit. We just show it at Folkestone or Dover. They check his microchip and off we go.

Going back to the UK we get his worming done, usually in France, although once in Belgium, and go home. Same chip checks as before plus the worming section. Not had any problems.
Same for us ,our dogs have Irish passports 👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
With EU passport just do whatever ferry/train company require to register pet and return to EU. Nothing needs to be done in advance.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Note that when returning to the UK, you need to see a vet to get the worming tablets, and the paperwork to say it was taken by the dog. You will need to wait at least 24 hours from the time the tablet was taken to getting on the ferry/tunnel. And that means 24 hours minimum, not 23 hours 59 minutes. Once taken, it's valid for about 5 days, I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Note that when returning to the UK, you need to see a vet to get the worming tablets, and the paperwork to say it was taken by the dog. You will need to wait at least 24 hours from the time the tablet was taken to getting on the ferry/tunnel. And that means 24 hours minimum, not 23 hours 59 minutes. Once taken, it's valid for about 5 days, I think.
Or 120 hours maximum; not 120 hours and 1 minute!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
My dog is a Romanian rescue with a Romanian passport. Isn’t there an issue with the rabies vaccine insofar as he needs to have this done in the UK to enter Eu, and then again in the EU so that the EU passport is updated in the EU?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Saucer To get our patterdale a passport we had a one years rabies done by our vet in uk about eight months before travelling this was on AHC for proof ,then we were away for three months so got his passport in Portugal before rabies vax expired and Portuguese vet administered a three year rabies vax for passport giving us a good run before requiring a booster when we travel to continent again😊
However if your dog already has an up to date rabies vax on his passport when you next travel to EU you can get it done whilst there and won’t need to do one before you go.😊

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
My dog is a Romanian rescue with a Romanian passport. Isn’t there an issue with the rabies vaccine insofar as he needs to have this done in the UK to enter Eu, and then again in the EU so that the EU passport is updated in the EU?
The dog will surely have a rabies jab logged in the Romanian passport? Issued in Romania or an EU country? That needs simply to be valid exiting the UK before expiry and a new vaccine done in an EU country.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
The dog will surely have a rabies jab logged in the Romanian passport? Issued in Romania or an EU country? That needs simply to be valid exiting the UK before expiry and a new vaccine done in an EU country.
He has but it’s out of date.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Saucer To get our patterdale a passport we had a one years rabies done by our vet in uk about eight months before travelling this was on AHC for proof ,then we were away for three months so got his passport in Portugal before rabies vax expired and Portuguese vet administered a three year rabies vax for passport giving us a good run before requiring a booster when we travel to continent again😊
However if your dog already has an up to date rabies vax on his passport when you next travel to EU you can get it done whilst there and won’t need to do one before you go.😊
It lapsed in 2017 so I think this is what I need to do, thanks

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000

Or 120 hours maximum; not 120 hours and 1 minute!

Screenshot_20241015_180649_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Just to add to autorouter's helpful post, after getting the EU vet worming done you have to arrive back in the UK within the maximum five days (120 hours). Some folks have mistakenly assumed that it was only necessary to leave the EU within 120 hours. This particularly matters if you have a long ferry crossing, e.g. from Spain, which can use up more than 30 hours of your 120.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Slightly unexpected discovery that the passport applies to dogs, cats and ferrets.

Not budgies, parrots, hamsters, rats, lizards, ponies, donkeys, but ferrets.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 years
5 days back in uk I thought it was on departure. On ferry back from Spain this year i was pulled up on this . I was couple hours over. They let us on but said they could refuse us so be aware . I thought it was 5 days on departure but it’s not 5 days on arrival it is.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
If a uk does anything with an EU passport it’s invalid. Everything must be done by a vet in any country over in Europe so rabies booster must be done anywhere but the uk

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
15yrs
A rabies booster for a dog with an EU passport also can be administered by a vet in the South or North of Ireland
The South, or ROI, is in the EU and NI is effectively still in the EU

Reactions: maz
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Any recommendations for a vet en route north through France to Dieppe before returning to the UK who issues EU passports? We have been using AHCs but they are quite costly.
Would need an AHC to leave the UK next time but be great if I could get worming, rabies booster and an EU passport to return.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
If a uk does anything with an EU passport it’s invalid. Everything must be done by a vet in any country over in Europe so rabies booster must be done anywhere but the uk
Not strictly true as has been pointed out numerous times on here. A UK vet can administer worming tablets for a short stay journey in to EU. They cannot have anything to do with the rabies jab side of the pet passport.

Reactions: maz
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class pegaso 590
Exp
4 years
When you take your pet back into the EU, from the UK, with a Portuguese EU pet passport, what's the procedure with regard to worming, fit to travel, fees and requirements? (last time we went abroad we had the UK health check paperwork)
Same as before my dog has had a Portuguese passports for the last 3 years just don’t let a British vet touch it and make sure the rabies is up to date

Upvote 0

maz

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Any recommendations for a vet en route north through France to Dieppe before returning to the UK who issues EU passports? We have been using AHCs but they are quite costly.
Would need an AHC to leave the UK next time but be great if I could get worming, rabies booster and an EU passport to return.
I will send you a copy of my French vets list so you can see if any are on your route.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Remember, even with new passport, you will have to use AHC for your return. New rabies jab has to be done 21 days in advance

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
It lapsed in 2017 so I think this is what I need to do, thanks
Whatever you do DO NOT let uk vet enter rabies details in your eu passport as it will invalidate it.

You will need an Ahc certificate to exit the UK, costly unfortunately but before you return to the UK you can get a new rabies jab and entered in the passport. If you get the right vet they'll enter the previous UK one in the passport for you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back