Taking your pet back to the EU with an EU pet passport.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit
When you take your pet back into the EU, from the UK, with a Portuguese EU pet passport, what's the procedure with regard to worming, fit to travel, fees and requirements? (last time we went abroad we had the UK health check paperwork)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
My Irish born dog has a Belgian issued pet passport as he predates Brexit. We just show it at Folkestone or Dover. They check his microchip and off we go.

Going back to the UK we get his worming done, usually in France, although once in Belgium, and go home. Same chip checks as before plus the worming section. Not had any problems.

Upvote 0

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
My Irish born dog has a Belgian issued pet passport as he predates Brexit. We just show it at Folkestone or Dover. They check his microchip and off we go.

Going back to the UK we get his worming done, usually in France, although once in Belgium, and go home. Same chip checks as before plus the worming section. Not had any problems.
Same for us ,our dogs have Irish passports 👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
With EU passport just do whatever ferry/train company require to register pet and return to EU. Nothing needs to be done in advance.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Note that when returning to the UK, you need to see a vet to get the worming tablets, and the paperwork to say it was taken by the dog. You will need to wait at least 24 hours from the time the tablet was taken to getting on the ferry/tunnel. And that means 24 hours minimum, not 23 hours 59 minutes. Once taken, it's valid for about 5 days, I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
Note that when returning to the UK, you need to see a vet to get the worming tablets, and the paperwork to say it was taken by the dog. You will need to wait at least 24 hours from the time the tablet was taken to getting on the ferry/tunnel. And that means 24 hours minimum, not 23 hours 59 minutes. Once taken, it's valid for about 5 days, I think.
Or 120 hours maximum; not 120 hours and 1 minute!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
My dog is a Romanian rescue with a Romanian passport. Isn’t there an issue with the rabies vaccine insofar as he needs to have this done in the UK to enter Eu, and then again in the EU so that the EU passport is updated in the EU?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Saucer To get our patterdale a passport we had a one years rabies done by our vet in uk about eight months before travelling this was on AHC for proof ,then we were away for three months so got his passport in Portugal before rabies vax expired and Portuguese vet administered a three year rabies vax for passport giving us a good run before requiring a booster when we travel to continent again😊
However if your dog already has an up to date rabies vax on his passport when you next travel to EU you can get it done whilst there and won’t need to do one before you go.😊

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
My dog is a Romanian rescue with a Romanian passport. Isn’t there an issue with the rabies vaccine insofar as he needs to have this done in the UK to enter Eu, and then again in the EU so that the EU passport is updated in the EU?
The dog will surely have a rabies jab logged in the Romanian passport? Issued in Romania or an EU country? That needs simply to be valid exiting the UK before expiry and a new vaccine done in an EU country.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
The dog will surely have a rabies jab logged in the Romanian passport? Issued in Romania or an EU country? That needs simply to be valid exiting the UK before expiry and a new vaccine done in an EU country.
He has but it’s out of date.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Saucer To get our patterdale a passport we had a one years rabies done by our vet in uk about eight months before travelling this was on AHC for proof ,then we were away for three months so got his passport in Portugal before rabies vax expired and Portuguese vet administered a three year rabies vax for passport giving us a good run before requiring a booster when we travel to continent again😊
However if your dog already has an up to date rabies vax on his passport when you next travel to EU you can get it done whilst there and won’t need to do one before you go.😊
It lapsed in 2017 so I think this is what I need to do, thanks

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000

Or 120 hours maximum; not 120 hours and 1 minute!

Screenshot_20241015_180649_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Just to add to autorouter's helpful post, after getting the EU vet worming done you have to arrive back in the UK within the maximum five days (120 hours). Some folks have mistakenly assumed that it was only necessary to leave the EU within 120 hours. This particularly matters if you have a long ferry crossing, e.g. from Spain, which can use up more than 30 hours of your 120.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Slightly unexpected discovery that the passport applies to dogs, cats and ferrets.

Not budgies, parrots, hamsters, rats, lizards, ponies, donkeys, but ferrets.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back