Struggling in Spain (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Guys, I am a 64 year old with a heart condition & right now I am trying to fulfil my lifelong dream of traveling (alone with my little yorkie) through Spain in my Campervan.
In the UK I have lived a very solitary life since my wifes passing in 2019 but this year I decided its now or never.
So on the 27th March I get the tunnel & chase the sun, the first 3 or 4 days on the road bring nothing but bad weater so I crack on with the miles & within 4 days I arrive on the East coast of Spain.
The weather turns & I am happy to be in the sunshine. Then I start to come down with terrible cold/flu symptoms to the point where tonight I sit here in Moraira & am ready to start heading home as I feel so poorly. I managed to pick up some Vicks vapour rub alternative in a pharmacy the other day but it not scratching the surface.
Having spent the best part of the past 5 years virtually only in my flat, as I get all my groceries delived I have not suffered any illnes like this & I am truly unhappy at the moment.
So can anyone recommend something I can get from a pharmay over here to help alleviate the symptoms somewhat. My condition means that anti-inflammatries & paracetomol & such are out of bounds.
Thanks in anticipation.

Most of the 'remedies' advertised without a prescription are 'snake oil'

Go to a doctor.

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
Last year I had a UTI in Italy and managed to get an online consultation with an English speaking doctor on WhatsApp he prescribed an antibiotic which he sent a prescription on WhatsApp which I was able to get filled at a local pharmacy.
I believe they have an equivalent service in Spain .
Just type in search for online doctors all in it only cost about €55 including the antibiotics
Chasnam.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We live in Javea but unfortunately away house / pet sitting at the moment, I would recommend you visit Toni Marin he is excellent. (y):cool:
Screenshot_20240409_112941_Chrome.jpg

Sorry about the screenshot just google it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
I went to a town health centre in Benicassim. It took five or ten minutes to be registered at reception and given a Valencia region health card. I then sat in the almost empty waiting area for no more than two minutes before being called in by a doctor who spoke very good English and examined me thoroughly. Even better than the good old days in England.

The consultation and prescription were free of charge due to the regional health card.

OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
Hi Guys, thanks for the offers of help etc its nice to know theres always a helping hand out there, it restores faith in society somewhat & I am humbled. Good news is I had a better night than the one before & think I have had the worst (fingers crossed) Feel a little better today & have sat in the sun for an hour or so.
Also had 2 lovely English couples park next to me and they kindly went into town & got me some soothers & lockets which seem to be taking the edge off & a jar of honey so I can take some with hot water & lemon.
Toni Martin was where I got the Vapour rub the other day & speaks great English (thanks for the tip)
Im going to stay here until I am feeling normal again which hopefully will be in a few days time.
Thanks again for all the kind offers & words of encouragement. MHF is indeed a fine community.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Guys, I am a 64 year old with a heart condition & right now I am trying to fulfil my lifelong dream of traveling (alone with my little yorkie) through Spain in my Campervan.
In the UK I have lived a very solitary life since my wifes passing in 2019 but this year I decided its now or never.
So on the 27th March I get the tunnel & chase the sun, the first 3 or 4 days on the road bring nothing but bad weater so I crack on with the miles & within 4 days I arrive on the East coast of Spain.
The weather turns & I am happy to be in the sunshine. Then I start to come down with terrible cold/flu symptoms to the point where tonight I sit here in Moraira & am ready to start heading home as I feel so poorly. I managed to pick up some Vicks vapour rub alternative in a pharmacy the other day but it not scratching the surface.
Having spent the best part of the past 5 years virtually only in my flat, as I get all my groceries delived I have not suffered any illnes like this & I am truly unhappy at the moment.
So can anyone recommend something I can get from a pharmay over here to help alleviate the symptoms somewhat. My condition means that anti-inflammatries & paracetomol & such are out of bounds.
Thanks in anticipation.
I would advise refering to a doctor or pharmacist first, but if you are chesty try this, https://www.pharma-gdd.com/fr/fluimucil-expectorant-600-mg-10-sachets. Sorry the link is in french, but I am sure you can get it in Spanish pharmacys as I bought some in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago. It won't get rid of your cold but will help you to clear your lungs a bit.
Hope you get some help soon.

Dave
Ps I just remembered, there are two versions available, one has paracetomol and one doesn't

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Hi Guys, thanks for the offers of help etc its nice to know theres always a helping hand out there, it restores faith in society somewhat & I am humbled. Good news is I had a better night than the one before & think I have had the worst (fingers crossed) Feel a little better today & have sat in the sun for an hour or so.
Also had 2 lovely English couples park next to me and they kindly went into town & got me some soothers & lockets which seem to be taking the edge off & a jar of honey so I can take some with hot water & lemon.
Toni Martin was where I got the Vapour rub the other day & speaks great English (thanks for the tip)
Im going to stay here until I am feeling normal again which hopefully will be in a few days time.
Thanks again for all the kind offers & words of encouragement. MHF is indeed a fine community.
Can you give us an update as to your wellbeing please?

Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007

Go to a doctor.

Go to a doctor.
Try using Manuka honey and squeezed lemon juice, sit still and read a book to keep your mind occupied. Drink plenty of water also buy a lucazade sports to bring up your electrolytes. Email your doctor to discuss which pain relief medication you can take with your regular prescription.

Best of luck

Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
Thanks in anticipation.
I’m sorry to hear it. I’m 68 and when I get colds / flu I get them badly. I find if I can keep warm and sleep most of the time then paracetamol keeps me tolerably comfy. Need something compelling to read or watch. Eat simple stuff like beans on toast and fruit, drink loads of weak tea. Accept its going to take 2 weeks to feel better, look on it as a time to read rather than travel. If I get a persistent temperature I need antibiotics so have to find a doctor. But that’s rare. All the best.

Jul 28, 2023
Spain
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato A570
Exp
Thanks in anticipation.
I would recommend Frenadol, you can get it in tablet or powder form, it’s the Spanish equivalent of lemsips, you can get different sorts but the Forte might be the best, if you get a good pharmacy they will speak English and will recommend something for you, Pharmacists are similar to UK GP’s

IMG_6265.png

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I believe they have an equivalent service in Spain .
This reminds me that on my recent trawls of spanish hospitals & reading the adverts/info on the "next patient screens" that an eu wide system has been put in place whereby if you are spanish
( insert any country in eu ) & fall ill in Italy(insert any eu country) on attendance at a drs they can bring up your home country health records?
Too true they nicked my gallbladder in Germany. 😭
You omitted to mention that the insurance paid you handsomely :LOL:
Frenadol, you can get it in tablet or powder form, it’s the Spanish equivalent of lemsips,
which is what I always use but it now appears that it is the subject of an investigation for being carcinogenic?

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks in anticipation.
I like peppermint and liquorice tea. Or lemon & honey in hot water. Let the hot steam go up your nose.

Hot toddy (whisky) good for a cold; brandy good for a tickly cough.

Dec 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
My wife took Frenadol on a friend’s recommendation a few years ago when she had a bad cold in Spain. It made her feel very ill. We showed the packaging to the retired German pharmacist on the pitch behind and she said the ingredients were very strong and probably unsuitable for my cold. Threw the rest away and reverted to honey/lemon and hot water.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I would recommend Frenadol, you can get it in tablet or powder form, it’s the Spanish equivalent of lemsips, you can get different sorts but the Forte might be the best, if you get a good pharmacy they will speak English and will recommend something for you, Pharmacists are similar to UK GP’s

View attachment 885551
Pharmacists are completely different to UK GPs, that is insulting to say the least.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
You mention underlying health conditions, the suggestions of medications and course of actions from members are all well meant. However, as a medical doctor I strongly suggest you get yourself to a Doctor and have yourself checked out. Only then will you get the appropriate treatment based on a clinical diagnosis. You are on your own so need to be extra careful about your health. Please go and see a Doctor as soon as possible.

Nov 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
honda1515
Thanks in anticipation.
hi i had a place in spain and found the chemist very helpful they can do over counter but if you need a doctor they will tell you one the work with locally they charge 50 euros to see them but can give you a prescription go and get some help and carry on in spain good luck

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Pharmacy staff in Spain are tightening up on over the counter handouts....
I used to be able to Blag just about anything...but less so now..
Whilst during lasts weeks 4 day bike ride, one of my eyes became irritated....could be dust or allergy....I visited 2 pharmacies and both said go to health centre and see a Doctor...of course these centres would get me to see a Doctor very quickly....we are on the Spanish health system....
So off to third pharmacy....and Blagged at a more advanced level.....I got some drops, these cured the problem....
So beware....not all Pharmacies operate at the same service level....as soon as they see something they don't like...it's off to the Doctor.....

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Pharmacy staff in Spain are tightening up on over the counter handouts....
I used to be able to Blag just about anything...but less so now..
Whilst during lasts weeks 4 day bike ride, one of my eyes became irritated....could be dust or allergy....I visited 2 pharmacies and both said go to health centre and see a Doctor...of course these centres would get me to see a Doctor very quickly....we are on the Spanish health system....
So off to third pharmacy....and Blagged at a more advanced level.....I got some drops, these cured the problem....
So beware....not all Pharmacies operate at the same service level....as soon as they see something they don't like...it's off to the Doctor.....
They said go to the Dr as irritated eyes, especially just one, are usually foreign bodies or corneal ulcers. Both left untreated mean you can possibly lose your eye or sight.

They also need a slit lens and dye to diagnose properly, along with someone who knows how to use it.

Sometimes, it pays to take the advice.

Glad this time you got sorted though with no ill effects. 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back