Struggling in Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
Guys, I am a 64 year old with a heart condition & right now I am trying to fulfil my lifelong dream of traveling (alone with my little yorkie) through Spain in my Campervan.
In the UK I have lived a very solitary life since my wifes passing in 2019 but this year I decided its now or never.
So on the 27th March I get the tunnel & chase the sun, the first 3 or 4 days on the road bring nothing but bad weater so I crack on with the miles & within 4 days I arrive on the East coast of Spain.
The weather turns & I am happy to be in the sunshine. Then I start to come down with terrible cold/flu symptoms to the point where tonight I sit here in Moraira & am ready to start heading home as I feel so poorly. I managed to pick up some Vicks vapour rub alternative in a pharmacy the other day but it not scratching the surface.
Having spent the best part of the past 5 years virtually only in my flat, as I get all my groceries delived I have not suffered any illnes like this & I am truly unhappy at the moment.
So can anyone recommend something I can get from a pharmay over here to help alleviate the symptoms somewhat. My condition means that anti-inflammatries & paracetomol & such are out of bounds.
Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
So much of it going around. It lingers for a while unfortunately.

I got a bottle of stuff from a pharmacy to try and free up the mucus. Can't remember what it was called but any pharmacy will have it.

Seemed to help but not before it did put a right downer on my time in Spain so I know where you're coming from.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry to hear you’re feeling so awful. Nearly all of us have experienced the same in Spain over the last few years.

When we had it really severely a few years ago, we took Frenadol, but as with a lot of other Spanish flu relief medications, they are under review as being potentially unsafe.

This year when we felt lousy in Beni, we took paracetamol and Ibruprofen alternatively and it seemed to relieve the symptoms.

I wouldn’t risk the Spanish medications anymore.

Hope you feel better soon. Keep hydrated, and hopefully you’ll be able to enjoy your holiday soon.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’d also recommend the local GPs. Just remember though there is a painkiller that Northern Europeans shouldn’t take. It’s called Metamizole.

Cliff was given a prescription for it when he went to the hospital for a UTI. He said he wasn’t in pain, and we didn’t buy it, and when I googled it I was glad we didn’t!

OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I have felt like this before but many years ago when I was fitter & healthier. Never since I was diaagnosed with the heart condition though & dont think its covid (not that I'd know). I am not overlly concerned but just want the symptoms to ease or go away. I came here for the market on Friday & have stayed put as I dont feel able to travel. some recomendations for lozenges or medicine to ease the throat soreness would be a good start. The pharmacy I went to sold me EMSER PASTILLAS and whilst they taste lovely they do diddly squat.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I’d also recommend the local GPs. Just remember though there is a painkiller that Northern Europeans shouldn’t take. It’s called Metamizole.

Cliff was given a prescription for it when he went to the hospital for a UTI. He said he wasn’t in pain, and we didn’t buy it, and when I googled it I was glad we didn’t!

Also called Nolotil.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Lots of the pharmacists speak good English, & are usually really helpful - you only have to ask! Write down your details about your heart condition to show them when you go in! Also, you may as well feel rubbish on a deck chair in the sun as at home in this rain! Come on here & moan when required!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hang in there until you are fit to drive...if you need too...get to a Doctor...most speak some English...
Of course it could be Covid but also coming into contact with something you are not used too...and the Dust that's currently causing problems also...the atmosphere is laden with it just now....this can make anyone feel lousy...and being in contact for long periods can lead to many bronchitis type symptoms..

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hey … there’s nothing worse than being ill when you’re in your own in a strange place. Thank goodness for your friendly advisors on MH Fun!

I certainly wouldn’t try to drive home until you’re better. There are a lot of nasties going around this year from flu/covid which can take over a week to recover from to the 100 day cough.

I would seek medical advice from pharmacy or GP and explain which medication you’re not allowed to take. Then sit tight and ride it out.

Hopefully you’ll soon start to feel a bit better and be able yo feel the benefit of the weather.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Get down to Benidorm where its warmer and enjoy the sunshine . Lots of folks get a Spanish flue type bug which may last a week and then disappear. But as said , see a local doc and get something prescribed.to shift it or at least make you more comfy.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
If you really feel bad go and see a doctor, my experience with Spanish doctors is that many are excellent, aftercare is very good too, Ehic card and passport is all you need, plenty speak English, otherwise google translate with a pre prepared statement works fine👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like a really bad cold, as said get yourself to a pharmacist or doctor. Don't even think about coming home driving long distances feeling like that will be terrible and all you will be coming back to a cold wet very damp UK, much easier to suffer in the warm sunshine.

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Looking from the outside my thoughts are youve made the quite big effort of getting to Spain and its the law of sod you have become ill. If you can ride through feeling crap you may well really enjoy the trip, at least I do hope so, I would be inclined to hang on in there and hopefully get something out of the trip.

Wish you well

Roger

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
This year when we felt lousy in Beni, we took paracetamol and Ibruprofen alternatively and it seemed to relieve the symptoms.
No help to the OP...........
My condition means that anti-inflammatries & paracetomol & such are out of bounds.

Then I start to come down with terrible cold/flu symptoms to the point where tonight I sit here in Moraira & am ready to start heading home as I feel so poorly.
I'm 78 now and have travelled (am still travelling) solo for the past 12 years throughout Europe and can understand how miserable a bug or infection can be when isolated in the 'van. As others have said, see a doc and don't undertake long trips until feeling better.

OP
OP
Bepto
Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato PVC
Exp
im a newbie
Encouragement is a good medicine in itself & thaks for all the kind words & advice. I am currently feeling carp but clutching a stiff pick me up (I dont care anymore lol) It always worked in the past. I will go very easy.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Encouragement is a good medicine in itself & thaks for all the kind words & advice. I am currently feeling carp but clutching a stiff pick me up (I dont care anymore lol) It always worked in the past. I will go very easy.
Sorry to have told you to take Ibruprofen and paracetamol - that’ll teach me not to read too quickly!

With those conditions in mind though, your first stop should definitely be a GP as opposed to a pharmacists counter.

Honey and lemon in hot water could help your sore throat if you can get to a supermarket.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to hear of your plight, but don't give up, it's cold and wet in the UK and too far to drive in your condition.
It's probably a bad cold you have so the best remedy is hunker down, keep warm and take paracetamol and plenty of water, 2 litres a day if you can.
You'll be through it in a few days but if you think it's more serious check out a local health centre (google) and see a doctor if necessary.
Good luck, let us know how you get on

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
If you've been locked up at home for all this time your bound to be susceptible to bugs

Put your feet up if no better get to doc

First time own your own travelling will also be a little strange. This could also make you feel a little off.

Take care eat as well as you can loads of fluids and the sunshine will help you heal

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I'm so sorry you're feeling rubbish right now and hope you feel better soon. A few pointers;

Please don't try to drive home, or anywhere too far, while you feel like you do. Your concentration may be affected.
With a heart condition, please don't take any medication unless prescribed by a doctor.
Make sure you rest and stay hydrated....but don't drink too much water, only enough to stay hydrated.
If you don't feel any better in a couple of days, please try to get to see a doctor.

Stay in touch with us on here. Perhaps if someone is in your area, or passing by, they could drop you some provisions off without too much intrusion. Do you have enough food for you and your dog? xx

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Welcome to the forum. Don't think of coming home yet. The weather here is not great.
I don't know anything about the nature of your heart condition, however if you are avoiding NSAIDs such as ibuprofen because of taking an anticoagulant then this interaction does not automatically apply to Paracetamol , definitely seek professional help you should find it easier to see a doctor in Spain than it is in most of the UK at present.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back