Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now..

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Startink Mini power consumption is about 30 watts. It does have a snow melt mode for the mini but I haven’t used that yet in the U.K.!! The App has information on the power usage.

IMG_1932.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB

Neat package, though as it is not tethered by a cable would be even easier to steal than a naked dish if left unattended. I also wonder in reality how much of a benefit the increased portability really is. It looks too large and heavy to go hiking or biking with, and will also need recharging every day, so you are probably going to be carrying it in a vehicle where you already have access to a 12V supply.

In that case why not just power it from a cable. Admittedly cable length for a 12V supply is severely limited which might be what has prompted this design. However, if you adapt it for POE (power over ethernet) using a 48V supply as I have done, you are not limited in cable length in the same way you would be if just connecting to 12V. My Mini works fine at the end of a roughly 85ft long cable. A lot cheaper too than the design presented in the video!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Neat package, though as it is not tethered by a cable would be even easier to steal than a naked dish if left unattended. I also wonder in reality how much of a benefit the increased portability really is. It looks too large and heavy to go hiking or biking with, and will also need recharging every day, so you are probably going to be carrying it in a vehicle where you already have access to a 12V supply.

In that case why not just power it from a cable. Admittedly cable length for a 12V supply is severely limited which might be what has prompted this design. However, if you adapt it for POE (power over ethernet) using a 48V supply as I have done, you are not limited in cable length in the same way you would be if just connecting to 12V. My Mini works fine at the end of a roughly 85ft long cable. A lot cheaper too than the design presented in the video!

Not as cheap as my full 12v conversion with the router inside the housing .... and not something to brag about usually, but mines a lot smaller than his ....lol

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Not as cheap as my full 12v conversion with the router inside the housing .... and not something to brag about usually, but mines a lot smaller than his ....lol
And mine's longer than his! :giggle: That is to say it can run off a longer cable on a tripod when roof mounting is too shaded. The longer of my two ethernet cables is about 85ft and it works fine connected via that.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Hello Fred

Yes please.. will PM! ✔️

I didn't jump in because you had already asked, but I'm interested in getting another Gen 2 aswell if anyone is looking to change to a mini ??

If anyone has cut the cable to their router and kept the end they cut off (pref at least 4 inches as a minimum), I could do with one for my next project !! checkout the following posting, i would love to do some testing using makita batteries ..

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
what about this for a 'minilink' (my name for the starlink mini) power supply .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I am considering a mini roam setup for our van, but would be grateful for some advice as to which country to get my deal.
We normally spend 3 months of the winter on site in Spain, and a further 2 months of the year in the EU mainly in Germany where our Son, DIL and grand children live.
We use the van for about a month during the rest of the year (summer) in the UK.
Can I use either of the Spanish (Site) or German (Sons Home) addresses as my base location? Obviously I would suspend the service when not in the van, and would I get any service for the month in the Uk?
Edit: I don't intend to use it when at home.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We are just coming to the start of the new t&cs

I will wait now for updates on how they are being applied before making any decisions. Will you actually get cut off after 2 months out of country. Can you have a base location in another country without an official address. Lots of questions will get answered in the near future. We are planning the next trip from mid January hopefully some will already be answered by then

A decision made in haste may be the wrong decision is my thought. If it looks good then I will invest in the mini as we have a panel van and space is a premium.

We have just returned after 2 months away. I have turned on the Starlink so it knows I'm back in the country and then suspended from the 12th Oct. We don't use it in the UK unless it's some end of month leftovers from Euro use.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I am considering a mini roam setup for our van, but would be grateful for some advice as to which country to get my deal.
We normally spend 3 months of the winter on site in Spain, and a further 2 months of the year in the EU mainly in Germany where our Son, DIL and grand children live.
We use the van for about a month during the rest of the year (summer) in the UK.
Can I use either of the Spanish (Site) or German (Sons Home) addresses as my base location? Obviously I would suspend the service when not in the van, and would I get any service for the month in the Uk?
Edit: I don't intend to use it when at home.
I would be strongly considering getting it in Spain as it appears to be cheaper there and you could always get a German SIM from your son if you needed it?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I would be strongly considering getting it in Spain as it appears to be cheaper there and you could always get a German SIM from your son if you needed it?
I agree but until we know how the new rules are interpreted we all might be making a lot of assumptions.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
My view is the rules and clarification questions asked and answered by Starlink CSA’s are ‘unfortunately’ pretty clear! The only bit that isn’t clear is the ‘may’ wording.

TBH, I’m probably going to be the Guinea Pig here as we are away now until June ‘25 in Europland. The policy change is forcing my hand as I wish to keep service. The plan is to migrate the current Gen2 over to Spain, wife sisters address or with of my brothers two houses in Spain will work fine. Worst case scenario is that will cost me $199 USD, although there is ‘copy’ from the CSA’s saying this won’t be charged.

This puts me on a Spanish Roam plan at I believe €71 per month. This is as opposed to £96… a very handy saving. We can this at will around Spain for Dec-April and then also up into France for part of April through into June.

Thanks to fred_jb i will have another dishy which I will start in the UK then roam into France in late Aug ‘25 when we start another Euroland nine months away. It’s then rinse and repeat.

There is a little bit of Admin which wasn’t there with stopping the Roam tariff on each dish as needed (I’ve left it running to date), but aside from this, the upside is quite a reduction in overall cost to run Starlink!

It all seems to me that Starlink have enacted a policy which is driving me to do precisely what they were trying to prevent! 🤦‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back