Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (21 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Search for "star" and up they all pop.
🤩

View attachment 941785

Searching is usually quicker than scrolling - just ask Google (or is that Jeeves?)

Surprisingly, despite my dumb ass appearance, I have mastered the use of search. 😇

The mini Starlink threads were created within minutes of each other and I hadn’t twigged that there were already two threads running!

The Belgium chap on the aire was confused enough anyway regarding my answers to Starlink questions and can it be mounted and can xyz happen… me showing him (trying to show him) the mount for the mini and the 10 min pause until I realised there were two mini threads (🤦‍♂️) didn’t help the dialogue! 🤪

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I bet I could confuse him even more ...lol

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
new blog from Oleg - Powering Starlink V3 from 12v without POE - sorry cant remember who uses the V3 but it might be of interest to

fred_jb
Carpmart
RogerIvy

of interest is the 'simple' conversion to 12v ...... scroll down the blog to view. though i think towards the end of the blog he suggests there isnt much power saving as the V3 is VERY power hungry - i need to re-read it fully a few times so i understand it a lot better!!! As i dont have a V3 its purely informational/of interest to me rather than a project i would undertake, but if the consumption levels are as stated it would be worth checking consumption levels on 240v and small inverter, to see if there is any actual benefit for off grid use and power saving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Dogbloke

Free Member
Sep 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner 570
New UK company Spusu do a 'traveller' tariff. 25gb @ £12.90 per month (reduces to £9.99 after three months). All can be used in the EU. One month rolling contract.
Lebara do 30 day tariffs that allow up to 30gb roaming (limit 180 days) for about £10 a month (cheaper still brought through USwitch)
In Spain, Masmovil do some cheap deals (50gb for 10€. 30 days) and you can roam with it. Total roaming use must not exceed use in Spain in any given month, or 5gb, whichever is the greater.
Never found anything suitable for France.
I have Lidl card for Germany (Vodafone). That has 30gb and roaming for 18.99€ a month (A friend took that to Turkey and it worked there!).
I keep them in a little box and pop them in and out of my mifi 4g router box. (eBay).
Unless you sit all day in front of IPTV or game, this is the cheapest solution

Spanish Masmovil app is difficult to navigate but others are in English
Passport required to register outside UK but the local phone shop will sort that out for you.

Happy surfing

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
New UK company Spusu do a 'traveller' tariff. 25gb @ £12.90 per month (reduces to £9.99 after three months). All can be used in the EU. One month rolling contract.
Lebara do 30 day tariffs that allow up to 30gb roaming (limit 180 days) for about £10 a month (cheaper still brought through USwitch)
In Spain, Masmovil do some cheap deals (50gb for 10€. 30 days) and you can roam with it. Total roaming use must not exceed use in Spain in any given month, or 5gb, whichever is the greater.
Never found anything suitable for France.
I have Lidl card for Germany (Vodafone). That has 30gb and roaming for 18.99€ a month (A friend took that to Turkey and it worked there!).
I keep them in a little box and pop them in and out of my mifi 4g router box. (eBay).
Unless you sit all day in front of IPTV or game, this is the cheapest solution

Spanish Masmovil app is difficult to navigate but others are in English
Passport required to register outside UK but the local phone shop will sort that out for you.

Happy surfing

Cheap it maybe BUT loads of faff phone tariff (not data) SIM shuffling… 🤷‍♂️

There are at least three new topics started every week on the best way to get a good deal on Data whilst roaming, so plenty of opportunities to post the above! I’m sure many will be grateful of your knowledge and contribution! ✔️

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
new blog from Oleg - Powering Starlink V3 from 12v without POE - sorry cant remember who uses the V3 but it might be of interest to

fred_jb
Carpmart
RogerIvy

of interest is the 'simple' conversion to 12v ...... scroll down the blog to view. though i think towards the end of the blog he suggests there isnt much power saving as the V3 is VERY power hungry - i need to re-read it fully a few times so i understand it a lot better!!! As i dont have a V3 its purely informational/of interest to me rather than a project i would undertake, but if the consumption levels are as stated it would be worth checking consumption levels on 240v and small inverter, to see if there is any actual benefit for off grid use and power saving.

Interesting, but I am happy with my new Mini which is working great here in France and says it is only using 30 Watts. Ironic that some are trying to power a POE capable dish by bypassing the POE and powering from 12V while I am adding POE via an external splitter to the Mini which sadly does not support it. This lets me run it off just one cable and operate it either on the roof or at some distance away from the van on the ground if I need to get a better view of the sky.

Interestingly the Mini seems less prone to registering nearby obstructions than my Gen 2 was as long as it can see a reasonable patch of clear sky. Maybe something to do with its smaller angle of view than the bigger dishes.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Can someone clarify what I’m thinking is right

So I have the v2 running on 240v and use a power bank paying £85 pm stop/start as required and it is excellent. This year we will have done 5 months in Europe. Mostly off grid. Not had any issues. Also I’m not into stripping it down converting to 12v etc. I’ll sell it on.

Along comes v3.

Due to the 12v option and size of dish this would help us greatly. So I’m considering buy on this alone.

As far as I can see this is a stand alone £50 pm but 50g limit also not quite as fast? You can stop/start and is not linked to having a dish/subscription at home so £75+£50 ?

Am I right in saying that if I get near the 50g limit I can just top up to unlimited for £85 if required through the app. Potentially saving £35 pm if we don’t need it making it much more flexible.

Just wanted to clarify before investing

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Can someone clarify what I’m thinking is right

So I have the v2 running on 240v and use a power bank paying £85 pm stop/start as required and it is excellent. This year we will have done 5 months in Europe. Mostly off grid. Not had any issues. Also I’m not into stripping it down converting to 12v etc. I’ll sell it on.

Along comes v3.

Due to the 12v option and size of dish this would help us greatly. So I’m considering buy on this alone.

As far as I can see this is a stand alone £50 pm but 50g limit also not quite as fast? You can stop/start and is not linked to having a dish/subscription at home so £75+£50 ?

Am I right in saying that if I get near the 50g limit I can just top up to unlimited for £85 if required through the app. Potentially saving £35 pm if we don’t need it making it much more flexible.

Just wanted to clarify before investing
Which dish do you mean by V3. I believe that the full size successor to the motorised Gen2 dish is generally referred to as Gen3 or V4. That one is very power hungry.

Perhaps you are thinking of the latest dish known as the Mini? I am not sure what version number that is. I have the Mini and replaced my Gen2 with it. It only uses 30W once fully initialised and is much smaller and lighter for stowing.

I may be wrong, but I somehow doubt that you can just switch back and forth between contracts or have two contracts for just the one dish active on your account and just pause whichever you are not using.

You can have two contracts for two different dishes as I found when switching from my paused Gen2 £85 per month contract to take out a new £85 contract for my Mini, but they will use the same billing date. The first time you activate a second dish and choose a contract for it you will be charged only a pro rata amount up to your already established billing date.

However, that is the only one off situation where you can pay for a partial month so this will have Implications for pausing and unpausing a contract. Once your account is set up and your first contract/dish is activated that sets your monthly billing day and if you pause before your billing day then you still get service up to the billing day. Conversely if you unpause you will pay for a full month regardless of how few days it is until your billing day.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
The other thing to be aware of is how to decomission an older dish that you are replacing and possibly selling. You use the transfer function to do this, and this will automatically cancel the contract for that dish. Starlink clarified to me that you can do this if the contract for the dish is paused.

However, before doing so make sure you have copied all the ID and serial number data from the old dish so that you can give this to the new owner as they will find it difficult to activate without that data. You can find this data in the Starlink app by selecting the old dish and getting its info from the menu.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
known as the Mini? I am not sure what version number that is. I have the Mini and replaced my Gen2 with it. It only uses 30W once fully initialised and is much smaller and lighter for stowing.

I may be wrong, but I somehow doubt that you can just switch back and forth between contracts or have two contracts for just the one dish active on your account and just pause whichever you are not using.
Yes we are looking at the mini as we have the larger motorised starlink atm.

The other thing to be aware of is how to decomission an older dish that you are replacing and possibly selling. You use the transfer function to do this, and this will automatically cancel the contract for that dish. Starlink clarified to me that you can do this if the contract for the dish is paused.

However, before doing so make sure you have copied all the ID and serial number data from the old dish so that you can give this to the new owner as they will find it difficult to activate without that data. You can find this data in the Starlink app by selecting the old dish and getting its info from the menu.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll remember to copy the information so that I can sell. I don’t want 2 contracts on the go.
If you can’t switch between them I will just stick with £85 on the mini if you can.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Yes we are looking at the mini as we have the larger motorised starlink atm.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll remember to copy the information so that I can sell. I don’t want 2 contracts on the go.
If you can’t switch between them I will just stick with £85 on the mini if you can.
Yes that's what I have done as I don't think the 50 GB limit on the £50 contract would be enough for our use, but maybe I should measure our typical usage to check. We stream from various sources if in need of evening entertainment, so Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer, ITVx, etc, but for a one month trip a saving of £35 or £70 if the trip goes over two billing cycles, is not that significant in the scheme of things.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Oh Please! - just got this message!!!! 🤬

IMG_4554.png

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Oh Please! - just got this message!!!! 🤬

View attachment 947531
This is the Euro version:

Thank you for being a Starlink customer. We are making changes to your service plan and price in order to deliver an improved Starlink experience.

Effective immediately, you will have access to the following features with Starlink Roam:

• In-Motion Use
  • International Travel
  • Coastal Coverage

To support these enhancements and our ongoing network improvements, your monthly service price for Starlink Roam will be EUR 72.

So 72 euro, still a lot less than UK price!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
My email didn't have a price on it but that might be because I have it paused. Won't be paying that per month. I think this is going to put a lot of people off unless they are abroad all the time. It was expensive before but now it definitely is.

Last edited:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Starlink is a great product/service. I won’t be going back to searching for the best data sim, hoping it works wherever we park in Europe and messing around with a mifi like in the old days. Still worth it for us.

IMG_8962.png

IMG_8963.jpeg

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Who needs it in the UK when most can get unlimited data for a third of that. For us it was for Europe but if now restricted to 50gb then it's no better than my sim option as I can get more than that on my old sim contract. Starlink must feel confident in doing this though else they wouldn't of done it. Maybe they want to get rid of some customers as if so this will work.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Sorry to say a double kick in the balls.. as only 2 months travel now and likely needs to go "home" for a reset.
Well spotted I had not looked any deeper into the t&c.
Let’s see what happens after our two months away from home…I looks as if I will need to give an updated address. So that will be a campsite somewhere in Europe - maybe I’ll then be charged €72 per month rather than £96.
IMG_8965.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back