Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We’ve been contacted by one or two people.

But I wonder if the effort in doing the conversion can be reasonably billed out - if you include all the hours it takes to do such a conversion.
I was thinking about that, but also the liability and warranty issues. You end up with a massive headache should anything fail?

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We’ve been contacted by one or two people.

But I wonder if the effort in doing the conversion can be reasonably billed out - if you include all the hours it takes to do such a conversion.

There are also three different things when we colloquially say a ‘12v conversion’;

• converting to run from a 12v power source without inverter
  • converting to run on 12v with our Ukrainian friends hack
  • one of the above and flat mounting..

The first is covered with off the (Amazon) shelf parts nowadays, anyone can do it! The second, as you and Mr B have done is a little more involved and the third is either easy if you choose off the shelf, or is the more involved approach. Or indeed you go for an expensive off the shelf version that the US seems to be producing.

All in all, in IMHO, not something to make money from as the effort to do the second or third options, would make it an unattractive retail price.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I suppose it comes down to how much people would be willing to pay........or even buy a ready converted one?

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
It's getting closer looks very reasonable pricing?

in the UK it will all come down to cost and data - 50gb is nowhere near enough for motorhomers who use it to watch tv in addition to browsing, emails and checking in on MHF - - but if its unlimited data for a reasonable amount then it will make sense for many who have yet to step into the world of starlink ... it might even make sense for those who bought at £99, simply to buy the mini if the data costs are lower than they are currently paying

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
It’s now for sale at £399 and the same £85 monthly roaming for unlimited in the UK. Anyone tempted? 20 to 40 W and 12V seems good 👍

Cheers

Apr 28, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Drifter 410
It’s now for sale at £399 and the same £85 monthly roaming for unlimited in the UK. Anyone tempted? 20 to 40 W and 12V seems good 👍

Cheers

I'm tempted to plump for a Mini. I have 2 of the v2 units and you can still do the "pause" thing as per the normal roam service with the mini - it does ask for your existing unit details when you order it so it looks like you can just add it onto your existing account which would be nice.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I'm tempted to plump for a Mini. I have 2 of the v2 units and you can still do the "pause" thing as per the normal roam service with the mini - it does ask for your existing unit details when you order it so it looks like you can just add it onto your existing account which would be nice.
I'm sure there's still a market for the V2 or if you got the £99 offer, why not go for the full 12v conversion as shown on off grid power solutions you tube channel by RogerIvy ....(Gadget John has also just got in on part of the simple way to disassemble the V2, all his own idea of course ...)

I'm hoping to add an internal router to mine as soon as it arrives! So it will be a Maxi not a mini lol (The Child of Frank Starlinkenstein)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Once again the UK gets fleeced with higher prices than Europe, this also still goes against what Mr Musk said when it launched, not for me at that price.

1722491981867.png

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Once again the UK gets fleeced with higher prices than Europe, this also still goes against what Mr Musk said when it launched, not for me at that price.

View attachment 930616
From what I can see. The roam option for the mini £50 for 50g

Or is this just a cheaper option?

Can I have the mini dish and regional and still use in Europe? I thought you had to have roam? and at 50g limit that's a no from me.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
From what I can see. The roam option for the mini £50 for 50g

Or is this just a cheaper option?

Can I have the mini dish and regional and still use in Europe? I thought you had to have roam? and at 50g limit that's a no from me.
Currently, no unlimited on the Roam so only 50gb which is useless to me and most others and still stupid pricing for what you get.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Currently, no unlimited on the Roam so only 50gb which is useless to me and most others and still stupid pricing for what you get.
That’s a big let down then.

Like you say overpriced as it is but at least you get a decent signal and unlimited

All that hype for nothing. Best start looking at converting mine now

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Looks to me like you can combine the Mini dish with either the unlimited Regional Roam plan for £85 or the Mini Roam plan which is £50 but limited to 50GB.

That seems like it gives low data users a cheaper choice which has to be a good thing.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
And remember that you are unlikely to get data speeds of over 100 Mbit/s with the Mini, as a maximum, so in adverse locations or conditions you will get less. Just an inevitable function of reduced dish size, so in that respect the bigger dishes give you more margin. I won't be changing my Gen 2 anytime soon!

Apr 28, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Drifter 410
I'm sure there's still a market for the V2 or if you got the £99 offer, why not go for the full 12v conversion as shown on off grid power solutions you tube channel by RogerIvy ....(Gadget John has also just got in on part of the simple way to disassemble the V2, all his own idea of course ...)

I'm hoping to add an internal router to mine as soon as it arrives! So it will be a Maxi not a mini lol (The Child of Frank Starlinkenstein)

I use the current ones in a variety of situations, at work, events, so 12v isn't the killer feature for me.

I'm more interested in the portability really as the v2 unit is a bit heavy and awkward with the stand arrangement. Having the mini would be convenient rather than lugging the v2 around.

Apr 28, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Drifter 410

You can still get the Regional unlimited 85pcm service, along with Mini hardware.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I won’t be buying one anytime soon as I’m very happy with my 13v powered V2. My only driver for change would be an improvement in performance and or meaningfully lower power consumption for similar performance. Neither are on the horizon, so I shall stick for the foreseeable…

I’m still toying with flat mounting. There is a £65 printed mount (Everlanders design) on eBay. Thinking of this, but can’t quite bring myself to reducing the flexibility of moving from my roof mount if needed. I’ve not needed it as we park in the open for solar yield, but I may need it one day….. 🤪

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
You can still get the Regional unlimited 85pcm service, along with Mini hardware.
Not sure why anyone would want to pay £85 per month for 100mb download (up to) when the full size dish is the same £85 month with over 200mb download, Mr Musk originally said that the hardware and tariffs would be lower than existing which up to now has not happened.

It would be easier to use the mini on 12v, but for me deffo not worth it unless the price drops to what was first mentioned.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I won’t be buying one anytime soon as I’m very happy with my 13v powered V2. My only driver for change would be an improvement in performance and or meaningfully lower power consumption for similar performance. Neither are on the horizon, so I shall stick for the foreseeable…

I’m still toying with flat mounting. There is a £65 printed mount (Everlanders design) on eBay. Thinking of this, but can’t quite bring myself to reducing the flexibility of moving from my roof mount if needed. I’ve not needed it as we park in the open for solar yield, but I may need it one day….. 🤪
A flat mount doesn't have to be permanent and I'm more than happy to sort out the same 'frame' mount that I've used .. this is it stuck (suction pads) on the side of the motorhome for testing purposes. The intent being that I can move it around onto the roof, the bonnet or just lay it on a table and it shouldn't be affected by wind or rain.

IMG_20240715_160916.jpg

IMG_20240715_160912.jpg

IMG_20240715_160906.jpg

You're prob only an hour away from me if you ever get this way (Clacton on Sea), more than happy to help you!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure why anyone would want to pay £85 per month for 100mb download (up to) when the full size dish is the same £85 month with over 200mb download, Mr Musk originally said that the hardware and tariffs would be lower than existing which up to now has not happened.

It would be easier to use the mini on 12v, but for me deffo not worth it unless the price drops to what was first mentioned.
He also said that the price would depend on overall demand per region.

This was aimed at the US customers. But they are setting prices based on demand. The UK is a small country with relatively high demand (high density) so we get hit with the highest prices.
European countries are bigger with a less demands so their density is lower and they can sell more.

1722515472377.png

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
He also said that the price would depend on overall demand per region.

This was aimed at the US customers. But they are setting prices based on demand. The UK is a small country with relatively high demand (high density) so we get hit with the highest prices.
European countries are bigger with a less demands so their density is lower and they can sell more.

View attachment 930759
That came after his initial post on twitter, i think he then started to back track

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That came after his initial post on twitter, i think he then started to back track
Not going to get into a debate on it. Musk first stated mini would be cheaper June 17th.

The pricing differentials by region have been ongoing since the start.
Here is an article from Feb 2023 which is well before the mini was even being whispered about.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Not going to get into a debate on it. Musk first stated mini would be cheaper June 17th.

The pricing differentials by region have been ongoing since the start.
Here is an article from Feb 2023 which is well before the mini was even being whispered about.

Like you said, not going to get into a debate, my reference is related to the Mini only, not anything else.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Just letting anyone who has been following this thread re modding the starlink to run on 12v ... The Child Of Frank Starlinkenstein is alive ....

First photo shows the Starlink router board stripped out and supplied with just a 12v supply to everything! No data cables into the dishy just one 12v power cable ,,,,, the cable at the bottom is the original cable into the original router that has been joined to the data input cable inside the dishy. just using a strip connector - no need for cat6 cables/rj45 connectors (simples !), that cable and the router will eventually be fitted into the casing

IMG_20240801_191504.jpg

Second photo shows a stripped out router board (that is faulty, but shows the heat sync pads that are also connected to the metal plates inside the router

IMG_20240801_184623.jpg

Third photo shows the router board complete with heat syncs that I added. Prob a bit of overkill but time will tell !

IMG_20240801_184553.jpg

... I think a better router will make a big difference/ improvement in performance... but i have yet to test the router inside the casing and as i am off to Drax tomorrow then its unlikely to happen until i get back ...

Dave

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
What sort of wifi signal strength are you getting inside the van with the router outside the van?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
This is what the full 12v conversion looks like internally. Yes it's messy but its a prototype .... No need for 12v and 48v injectors, no need for POE, no need for RJ45 connectors

Total cost (putting aside all the previous versions and costs incurred) for a full 12v conversion - less than £30 ......in fact the 12v connector set into the frame along with the perspex bottom cover which is probably over specced, we're the most expensive items (£15 for the perspex)

IMG_20240801_194925.jpg

I've also added a couple of 12v fans, one to pull and one to push air to ensure cooling isn't a problem, again probably unnecessary but time will tell.

IMG_20240801_202956.jpg

Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Just letting anyone who has been following this thread re modding the starlink to run on 12v ... The Child Of Frank Starlinkenstein is alive ....

First photo shows the Starlink router board stripped out and supplied with just a 12v supply to everything! No data cables into the dishy just one 12v power cable ,,,,, the cable at the bottom is the original cable into the original router that has been joined to the data input cable inside the dishy. just using a strip connector - no need for cat6 cables/rj45 connectors (simples !), that cable and the router will eventually be fitted into the casing

IMG_20240801_191504.jpg

Second photo shows a stripped out router board (that is faulty, but shows the heat sync pads that are also connected to the metal plates inside the router

IMG_20240801_184623.jpg

Third photo shows the router board complete with heat syncs that I added. Prob a bit of overkill but time will tell !

IMG_20240801_184553.jpg

... I think a better router will make a big difference/ improvement in performance... but i have yet to test the router inside the casing and as i am off to Drax tomorrow then its unlikely to happen until i get back ...

Dave
No images showing for me...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back