Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I have set mine to use the WireGuard protocol with SurfShark as I believe that is faster. I also limit the router to only routing via the VPN for the one device (our smart TV) which doesn't have its own SurfShark app. It goes on the MAC address of the device, but took me a while to find out where in the settings to do this.

Reactions: zac

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hope it is fast enough for you it only manages 20Mbit/sec with OpenVPN - I have one it’s great but the processor in it id not really powerful enough for VPN. It’s wonderfuly small for chucking in a bag when travelling.
That seems very low according to the specs of this device although they do quote this over wired.

1721224843309.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That seems very low according to the specs of this device although they do quote this over wired.

View attachment 924193

That chip is based on the dual core ARM ® Cortex-A53. That chips does have the option for a cryptography chip which would make VNP/SSL etc faster and offloaded from the main cpu.
But it is optional and it is not clear if the MT7981B has this extension or not. As it doesn't specifically mention it I suspect not as it would be a good marketing tool.

This is all the data I could find on that chip.

So, My view is it might struggle a little on a high traffic VPN for things like a video stream. But for normal web browsing it should be ok over a VPN.

Just my opinion and thoughts for what it is worth. I have no inside knowledge or experience with this product directly.

PS You will notice that the highlighted bit in the image specifically calls out Ethernet. Could this be due to wireless taking more processing power than Ethernet so if on wireless the VPN be slower.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
That chip is based on the dual core ARM ® Cortex-A53. That chips does have the option for a cryptography chip which would make VNP/SSL etc faster and offloaded from the main cpu.
But it is optional and it is not clear if the MT7981B has this extension or not. As it doesn't specifically mention it I suspect not as it would be a good marketing tool.

This is all the data I could find on that chip.

So, My view is it might struggle a little on a high traffic VPN for things like a video stream. But for normal web browsing it should be ok over a VPN.

Just my opinion and thoughts for what it is worth. I have no inside knowledge or experience with this product directly.

PS You will notice that the highlighted bit in the image specifically calls out Ethernet. Could this be due to wireless taking more processing power than Ethernet so if on wireless the VPN be slower.
I did mention it quoted wired but without testing this myself i don't really know over the wireless, be good for others to test to see what they get.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I did mention it quoted wired but without testing this myself i don't really know over the wireless, be good for others to test to see what they get.
Ah you did. Between reading your post and replying I checked out the specs and forgot you mentioned it. My mistake sorry.

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
To the 12v POE converters --- or router changers ....
Has anyone saved the part of the cable they cut off (if you cut the cable), that they would be willing to let me have, to help with the Child of Frank Starlinkenstein'..,.
I am looking for the connector that goes into the router itself - not the 240v connector - with enough spare cable on the end of the connector to allow me to attach some additional cable to (if I need to, depending on length)

Thanks

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
To the 12v POE converters --- or router changers ....
Has anyone saved the part of the cable they cut off (if you cut the cable), that they would be willing to let me have, to help with the Child of Frank Starlinkenstein'..,.
I am looking for the connector that goes into the router itself - not the 240v connector - with enough spare cable on the end of the connector to allow me to attach some additional cable to (if I need to, depending on length)

Thanks
I've got a piece you can have. It's about 70cm long. If you message me with your address I can put it in the post for you.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
It's 19 degrees here in Wales and the rain is banging down...starlink has turned on the heating snow melt element.. :ROFLMAO:

And I've only just found out it has a sleep mode that turns the internet and any heating for the time schedule you set.
And here's what we m getting throught the thick rain and cloud
1721493227541.png

1721493299213.png

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Not sure that's working as expected as i cannot ever remember seeing those types of speeds when i was using it, i certainly would not be paying £85 a month for those speeds just because its cloudy and raining.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
just checked mine and i am only getting 26mbs download speed via the 240v starlink. when i tested the one cable mod, via one ethernet cable on the 12v hack, i was getting similar speeds. to be honest it isnt stopping us watch tv over the internet or browsing phones/laptops etc

i have just repositioned the starlink and am now getting 70Mbs download, so download speeds capped at 100Mbs shouldnt really be an issue.

though at least its absolutely glorious here in sunny Essex at Grange Farm camp site at Thorpe le Soken ..

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Does anyone use Sky Stream over Starlink?
I take mine with me on my travels but get lots of interruptions in the programs, can't even call it buffering really, I think I just loose bits. I always, according to the starlink app, have at least the 60-70mbps I have on home broadband where the service is spot on. I'm sure when I took sky stream on they said you needed >= 12mbps.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I take mine with me on my travels but get lots of interruptions in the programs, can't even call it buffering really, I think I just loose bits. I always, according to the starlink app, have at least the 60-70mbps I have on home broadband where the service is spot on. I'm sure when I took sky stream on they said you needed >= 12mbps.
Are you using a VPN whilst streaming the sky stream as this will severely limit the download speed depending on protocol used, WireGuard is probably the fastest protocol to use if a VPN is needed. 12mbs should be achievable though, even using other protocols on VPN

If no VPN used then this does not sound correct to me as i have streamed IPTV ie PPV boxing and it was faultless and this will require a steady and persistent connection, a lot will depend on where you are of course.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thought there might be an issue with the starlink network so just ran a speed test myself.

1721501946605.png

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I do, never really had issues. Had a bit of buffering early through the thick cloud which is a know thing, but not much.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hmm, weird, my Avtex smart TV is connected directly (via wifi) to the standard starlink router, normally with >100mbps, no other gubbins involved but watching the recent football on terrestrial and F1 on sky, both suffered quite badly.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
It's 19 degrees here in Wales and the rain is banging down...starlink has turned on the heating snow melt element.. :ROFLMAO:

And I've only just found out it has a sleep mode that turns the internet and any heating for the time schedule you set.
And here's what we m getting throught the thick rain and cloud
View attachment 925676
View attachment 925678
Clouds thinned rain virtually stopped

1721514573796.png

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Thoughts? On the equipment. Not Gadget John

I’ve learnt absolutely nothing watching that video. Even standard plug and play 12v conversions he makes look difficult.

Also, his review of power usage was just terrible. He was comparing consumption whilst downloading a Starlink update and commenting on the power used. Just lazy and provides no value to the conversation on 12v power use.

I also note how bodged everything looks in his Motorhome.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve learnt absolutely nothing watching that video. Even standard plug and play 12v conversions he makes look difficult.

Also, his review of power usage was just terrible. He was comparing consumption whilst downloading a Starlink update and commenting on the power used. Just lazy and provides no value to the conversation on 12v power use.

I also note how bodged everything looks in his Motorhome.

Many thanks for taking the hit of watch the video Harvey so I did not have to watch his drivel, and I hope your recovery from the talking crap overload is swift and without complications. (y) :ROFLMAO:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Perhaps our very own RogerIvy will start offering 12v conversions done properly ....

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Perhaps our very own RogerIvy will start offering 12v conversions done properly ....
We’ve been contacted by one or two people.

But I wonder if the effort in doing the conversion can be reasonably billed out - if you include all the hours it takes to do such a conversion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back