Removing Black Marks on Sealant (1 Viewer)

Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
Just gave the MH only it's second spring wash and found that these marks, where the sealant seals the joint between cab and GRP roofline, can't be got rid of. I tried Silky cream but to no avail. Any ideas and also, how the hell do I reach the bits in the middle?
1000007845.jpg

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
I read on a thread only a few days ago where someone recommended thick shop bought bleach. They claimed that successful but recommended a little trial patch somewhere discreet.

Terry

Upvote 1
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Just gave the MH only it's second spring wash and found that these marks, where the sealant seals the joint between cab and GRP roofline, can't be got rid of. I tried Silky cream but to no avail. Any ideas and also, how the hell do I reach the bits in the middle?
View attachment 889350

Ah - good old Burstner! Mine was like this when I bought it brand new. I've used Vim, AutoGlym caravan and motorhome cleaner, various other items. Reduced it but have never got it completely clean. I used a white sealant pen to colour it over after cleaning it as much as I could. Still not perfect but better.

Reaching the middle - stepladder by the door then put one foot onto the van just below the screen and stretch!

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Upvote 1

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That's cool - where did you get it?

Its a Thule 232 Step Up and I bought mine secondhand off of eBay a few years back.
New one ain't cheap, but Laser do a cheaper version.

https://luxurycenter.co.uk/product/thule-step-up-wheel-step/

Upvote 1
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I use bleach and a toothbrush to clean mine. Leave it for about 15-20 mins and rinse off. May take more than one go looking at your screen.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Patio Magic, neat. Apply with a sponge or brush. Leave it to work nothing else needed. If impatient clean with a tooth brush whilst still wet, but this is less effective. I stand on the top of the front wheel, it's freešŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Our new Burstner also had black marks on the sealant I complained to our dealer who used brake cleaner. I have tried all manner of mild stuff to remove new patches to no avail so when sale time comes I will probably use a small amount of brake cleaner also.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Our new Burstner also had black marks on the sealant I complained to our dealer who used brake cleaner. I have tried all manner of mild stuff to remove new patches to no avail so when sale time comes I will probably use a small amount of brake cleaner also.
We used to use it to remove paintwork. I wouldn't put it anywhere near my bodywork.

Upvote 0

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Had similar on my last MH, a friend of mine that used to be a valeter including the contract for a local caravan/mh sales company swore by tfr, apply with a cloth to just the mastic and then wipe off. It worked a treat.

Stand on the front wheel to reach the middle at a stretch.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
View attachment 889350

View attachment 889350
You could try some mould and mildew spray. I've used it before on a caravan years ago. Just spray it on and leave for 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Neat Domestos bleach and a small paintbrush worked wonders on mine. Stains gone within seconds, rinse off with water.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Allow me to sooth it better for you.
You only really need an egg cup full, but it can used on the vans roof as well, simply spray it on when it's dry and going to be dry for a day or two and then simply forget it.
Mike.
No Asda on the Costa Calida .. :giggler:

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
ok i get a piece of kitchen paper roll soak it in bleach push it onto the sealant and leave it say 2 hrs pull the paper out and hose it off ,, it was the only thing that worked on mine
That's the best thing I ever did for black mould on the silicon around bath at home. I used pieces of toilet roll in neat domestos bleach pushed up against the mould to stop it drying out or dripping off before done it's job. Bit of a faff to install but leave half hour or so then rinse off & job done. šŸ˜

Upvote 0

Dunroamin

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Just gave the MH only itssecond spring wash and found that these marks, where the sealant seals the joint between cab and GRP roofline, can't be got rid of. I tried Silky cream but to no avail. Any ideas and also, how the hell do I reach the bits in the middle?
View attachment 889350
In my day job I am a handyman and experience the same issues with silicone sealant around baths. Try the thicker gel bleach brands and generously coat the affected silicone. You then need to cover it in kitchen roll or toilet paper folded a few times and also soaked in bleach as this will absorb the stain. Then apply some cling film to stop the bleach evaporating and leave overnight or longer if possible. This should remove the staining and if it doesnā€™t repeat the process.
Good luckā€¦

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back