Removing Black Marks on Sealant (3 Viewers)

Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
Just gave the MH only it's second spring wash and found that these marks, where the sealant seals the joint between cab and GRP roofline, can't be got rid of. I tried Silky cream but to no avail. Any ideas and also, how the hell do I reach the bits in the middle?
1000007845.jpg

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Caustic TFR used neat applied with a detailing brush. Apply, agitate well and leave for 5 minutes then rinse well with hosepipe. It may take a couple of applications to get sealant back to white.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Mould Magic works well but I think it's just bleach in a gel form. Stand on the top of the front wheel to reach the middle.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
That's cool - where did you get it?
White vinegar on bathroom mold has worked for me.
You can buy 100% acetic acid (vinegar) and dilute as required.

Quick search, links are Oz/USA Thule 232 Step Up and not available.
I like that is has straps not rigid poles, would expect it to be lighter then others listed.

Multi functional option.
bumperdumper.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Patio Magic does indeed look like magic & I'm tempted to slap some on the roof of my Fiat PVC but I'm a bit scared it might eat through the paint - which I've already discovered is not good in a fight with a pressure washer.

Anyone got experience to reassure me with?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Patio Magic does indeed look like magic & I'm tempted to slap some on the roof of my Fiat PVC but I'm a bit scared it might eat through the paint - which I've already discovered is not good in a fight with a pressure washer.

I did the roof on my old MH with Spray & Leave no issues and good results but think that was GRP rather than paint. Used on many surfaces including garage doors which are spray finished with paint similar to that used on vehicles.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.

(y) I used to use it on industrial warehouse roofs, specifically the vision panels, but I noted it never gave any problem with the water based pigmentation paint surrounding where I had sprayed it.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Had similar on my last MH, a friend of mine that used to be a valeter including the contract for a local caravan/mh sales company swore by tfr, apply with a cloth to just the mastic and then wipe off. It worked a treat.

Stand on the front wheel to reach the middle at a stretch.
Sorry, what is tfr?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Cillit Bang Black Mould remover. Comparatively cheap. And works.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i think not all silicon is the same none of the above ever worked on mine the only thing that did was rolled up kitchen roll soaked in thick bleach and pushed onto the silicon i said above for 2 hours but i left mine all night ps dont get tfr on your decals

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
South coast
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute 665
Exp
2 years
We also have black marks on the white sealant and am going to try Cillit black mould remover when I get home. Works a treat in the bathroom at home.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
i think not all silicon is the same none of the above ever worked on mine the only thing that did was rolled up kitchen roll soaked in thick bleach and pushed onto the silicon i said above for 2 hours but i left mine all night ps dont get tfr on your decals
Can't say I've tried 'all the above' on black mould on silicone sealant but did try loads & round the bath I evenually did exactly what you describe except using rolled up toilet paper pushed well into place with a credit card & like you left overnight. Totally amazed with the result being complete solution.
(Not bleach solution, keep that neat! 🙂)

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Does neat bleach affect plastics or the paintwork?
I used some mould remover yesterday which did an ok job but I was nervous about leaving it too long in case of damage.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Can't say I've tried 'all the above' on black mould on silicone sealant but did try loads & round the bath I evenually did exactly what you describe except using rolled up toilet paper pushed well into place with a credit card & like you left overnight. Totally amazed with the result being complete solution.
(Not bleach solution, keep that neat! 🙂)
works well i use a stick to push it above the windscreen

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Does neat bleach affect plastics or the paintwork?
I'd have guessed not but apparently I'd be wrong!
The AI says:
Neat bleach (undiluted bleach) can potentially damage or degrade certain types of plastics. Plastics that are particularly vulnerable to damage from bleach include:
  1. Acrylic (Plexiglas): Bleach can cause clouding, cracking, or discoloration on acrylic surfaces.
  2. Polycarbonate (Lexan): Bleach may cause yellowing, crazing (fine cracks), or weakening of polycarbonate plastics.
  3. Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC): While PVC is more resistant to bleach than some other plastics, prolonged exposure can lead to discoloration or surface damage.
  4. Styrene (Polystyrene): Bleach can cause stress cracking or dissolution of styrene-based plastics.
It's always best to avoid using neat bleach on plastics and instead dilute it with water according to the manufacturer's instructions. If cleaning plastic surfaces with bleach is necessary, perform a spot test on a small, inconspicuous area first to check for any adverse reactions. Additionally, rinse the surface thoroughly with water after cleaning to remove any residual bleach.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
ive been using it about 5 years now no sign of problems yet but as i said above not all silicon is the same

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back