Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
yes it gets a bit sore( dont ride your bike for a while) i had my biopsy on 18/12/23 and i was phoned with an appt on the 02/01/24 so they already knew the result, dont think you will wait 4 weeks for the result the bleeding stops quickly but it is quite a shock
I normally cycle every day but I hope that resting up this week will aid recovery 👍

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
now it is a waiting game, apparently they take about 4 weeks to get the results to me

That’s madness and cruel, the delays have been the most stressful part to deal with for me

I was given a date of a week after my biopsy on the day of my biopsy to go back for my results , that was long enough

Be slightly consoled by a fact I read after my diagnosis that only 1/6 of biopsies have a positive cancer outcome 👍🙏

Good luck hope you hear quickly

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
That’s madness and cruel, the delays have been the most stressful part to deal with for me

I was given a date of a week after my biopsy on the day of my biopsy to go back for my results , that was long enough

Be slightly consoled by a fact I read after my diagnosis that only 1/6 of biopsies have a positive cancer outcome 👍🙏

Good luck hope you hear quickly
Thank you👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Today I went in for my CT scan in preparation for my RT starting next month

I think some you have referred to a red card, well I got one, feel like I have been sent off before the match even kicked off

Not enough content in my bladder, lower bowel well flushed by morning enema 🤔🙄 but it would appear my weekend away with family left me dehydrated, not seriously but enough to cancel today 🙁

Been told to drink 2 litres of water a day over and above any other coffee and other drink intake and return on Tuesday next week

Worried now this might delay my RT start and I might lose my place on the trial. Feeling fed up and a bit cross with myself for not realising why I was getting up less at night this weekend thinking it was the alcohol making me sleep more deeply

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Today I went in for my CT scan in preparation for my RT starting next month

I think some you have referred to a red card, well I got one, feel like I have been sent off before the match even kicked off

Not enough content in my bladder, lower bowel well flushed by morning enema 🤔🙄 but it would appear my weekend away with family left me dehydrated, not seriously but enough to cancel today 🙁

Been told to drink 2 litres of water a day over and above any other coffee and other drink intake and return on Tuesday next week

Worried now this might delay my RT start and I might lose my place on the trial. Feeling fed up and a bit cross with myself for not realising why I was getting up less at night this weekend thinking it was the alcohol making me sleep more deeply
Well its par for course red cards ,i had one , i stuck to a strict diet , deffo no coffee or alcohol plenty of water , food to help bowel movements ,a strict routine is good , i am talking about my ‘ normal ‘ RT you being on a trail might be different ?? Basically you got to help yourself /body to get thru this treatment ,which i am sure you will .

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
So, had the biopsy today at 4, as most other people say the pain was not too bad 2/3 out of 10 ( classing my vasectomy many years ago as 8/9 out of 10)
Walked home and was shocked at the amount of blood and huge blood cloths at first visit to the toilet. So keep drinking fluid is the advice, alcohol no problem I was told, but that is no attraction to me anyway, I drink about 1 cider a month lol.
Now see what’s happens when the the injections wear off.
So now it is a waiting game, apparently they take about 4 weeks to get the results to me, when I asked why the answer was that’s the NHS for you.
Great staff at Cheltenham general 👍
I’ve got my 2nd biopsy experience coming up on 29th July, when I had my first last year I too was shocked at the blood. No one was allowed to leave until the blood in their urine had died down a bit and I watched 4 other blokes who’d gone in after me get the ok to leave. I was sick of drinking lemon barley and producing yet another sample full of blood, I got to the point where I couldn’t go and felt very bloated, the nurse informed me that she had booked a bed on the ward and I would be admitted if the next sample wasn’t clear enough but I couldn’t go by then and was becoming a little concerned that something had gone wrong.
The wife of one of the other blokes advised me to have a strong coffee and that worked a treat at stimulating me to go and mercifully the sample was clear enough to get released.
I’m not looking forward to it again but overall it’s not too bad an experience.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I’ve got my 2nd biopsy experience coming up on 29th July, when I had my first last year I too was shocked at the blood. No one was allowed to leave until the blood in their urine had died down a bit and I watched 4 other blokes who’d gone in after me get the ok to leave. I was sick of drinking lemon barley and producing yet another sample full of blood, I got to the point where I couldn’t go and felt very bloated, the nurse informed me that she had booked a bed on the ward and I would be admitted if the next sample wasn’t clear enough but I couldn’t go by then and was becoming a little concerned that something had gone wrong.
The wife of one of the other blokes advised me to have a strong coffee and that worked a treat at stimulating me to go and mercifully the sample was clear enough to get released.
I’m not looking forward to it again but overall it’s not too bad an experience.
They released me straight after the procedure so I had this experience at home, no waiting at all, different hospital , different procedures eh👍

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
They released me straight after the procedure so I had this experience at home, no waiting at all, different hospital , different procedures eh👍
They explained the dangers of undetected internal bleeding to all of us and even said to come back if the bleeding didn’t continue to improve over the next 24hrs, giving us the telephone number of the ward.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
They explained the dangers of undetected internal bleeding to all of us and even said to come back if the bleeding didn’t continue to improve over the next 24hrs, giving us the telephone number of the ward.

As Dutch says different places different rules, my biopsy was late afternoon and pre op I was told to do my best to empty my bladder as you can wee involuntarily when prodded

Then when out told I had to wee before I could go, no wee by 5 they would fit a catheter, that was my incentive , but took about a litre of water and three coffees to produce the most revolting looking blood tinged wee. They didn’t even look just told me I could go, I had at least been warned about the high chance of blood in wee, poo and semen

A friend is about to go for a second biopsy and they are putting him under this time , their choice not his

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
When I had my biopsy I was told get dressed and don't leave until you have passed water here is a cup of tea and a packet of biscuits

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
When I had my biopsy I was told get dressed and don't leave until you have passed water here is a cup of tea and a packet of biscuits
It was even in the pre op paperwork they posted that you did not have to pass urine before going home, only the case in our nhs trust if you undergo a G. A. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
This thread is excellent at highlighting the differences across the country regarding initial GP response to PSA testing/referral and subsequent intervention and treatment by the hospital.
I’m very happy with my GP practice and the local Trust for how they manage Cancer care, I can’t fault a single thing and that’s high praise from an ex senior nurse.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I will say the rt staff at barts were excellent, I think everything is played down so as not to alarm you, the doctor came to see me as I finished my last rt and asked questions and to every reply she said yes that's normal here is a sticky label take it to your blood test within 1 week of your next meet with the consultant which is next Tuesday. I have no idea if I have been cured or not so we will see next week

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have no idea if I have been cured or not so we will see next week

This is an area of concern for me, apparently in Sheffield you ring their bell on the last day of RT but they don’t know if you cancer free 🤔

I do know my PSA last week was 0.2 which they are very pleased with based on hormone treatment alone so far 👍

They don’t do PSA checks during RT as it can cause fluctuations in PSA levels

Currently rehydrating and definitely weeing a lot more and a lot clearer, new regime till RT finished at least 👍

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I think everything is played down so as not to alarm you,
That is exactly what I wouldn’t like and fortunately the Consultant Urologist I have lays it out plain, simple and direct, some may not like it but it’s exactly what I want to hear.
This is the severity, this is the likely progress, these are the treatment options and we will help but it’s your illness, learn about it and take charge of it.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
these are the treatment options and we will help but it’s your illness, learn about it and take charge of it. not told any of this mine was (this is the best treatment for you as you are in early stages)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Tomorrow will mark 1 week after my biopsy , not enjoying the wait for the results🥲

I am pretty sure my results appeared on the NHS app, but I was told after one week

The waiting is really hard on the mind games or it was for me at least

Try to be consoled that 5:6 biopsies come back canicer free 👍

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I completed my twenty RT sessions last week and now look forward to a PSA test followed by an appointment with my consultant about a week later. Neither will happen until mid October as I am on holiday until early that month.

If anyone wishes to read a diary of my journey with PC please join the Macmillan Community and visit the prostate cancer forum. The diary is in my profile on that forum under the forum name 'Osca2023'.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I completed my twenty RT sessions last week and now look forward to a PSA test followed by an appointment with my consultant about a week later. Neither will happen until mid October as I am on holiday until early that month.

If anyone wishes to read a diary of my journey with PC please join the Macmillan Community and visit the prostate cancer forum. The diary is in my profile on that forum under the forum name 'Osca2023'.
Mine was the same finished rt on 19.06 no blood test next appointment next Tuesday 26.08 had the blood test yesterday

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I am pretty sure my results appeared on the NHS app, but I was told after one week

The waiting is really hard on the mind games or it was for me at least

Try to be consoled that 5:6 biopsies come back canicer free 👍
They have told me it would be 4 weeks plus, I hope not🥲

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
After my biopsy I had to sit in the waiting room for 30 minutes to make sure I could pee and there was no bleed. Peeing a few blood clots was almost as painful as it was amazing how big and solid they were.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
had my meeting today and was told i was now free of cancer with a psa reading of 0.02 i will stay on hormones for 18 months with a blood test every 6 months, very happy with that and only 8 months from diagnose to being free of it. just hope the bowls and bladder recover fully

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back