Prat (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Why do people buy an expensive MH then put an illegal number plate on it.
Do they think because they’re got money they can.??

IMG_5505.jpeg

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Why not, most personal plates are not spaced as they should.
Think it looks good
I have three. All properly spaced as per the law.

The reasons are that in the event of an accident or crime it is easier for witnesses to be able to give a correct VRM without having to decode it. Plus ANPR is a major solver of motor crime.

The DVLA do have powers to repossess a cherished plate should they wish to. Should be done more often.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I agree what does it really matter? Years ago I was overtaken on the M5 by PEN1S. Instantly memorable. Most of them with incorrect spacing it makes them more readable and memorable, not less, and that has to help if there is an issue. ANPR camera's will read them whatever the spacing. The image search logic doesn't care a jot about spaces as it ignores all white or yellow, or at least the ANPR function of the VH car park CCTV does and that's a cheap system. It's the letters and numbers its reading. If it can't decipher it, it stores the whole image and reports so it can be manually reviewed if need be. Once a certain image has been verified and the full reg put in (without spaces) it remembers and correctly attachs it on the next visit.

It's a bit like the pedants that get so worked up about the differences between there and their, or apostrophes in the wrong place. Does it matter providing you know what the person means!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Interesting that some people seem to want to choose what laws they want to ignore. What if we all did that? Sounds very French😁

Yet, some of those same people scream blue murder when someone tips some grey water into a hedge or drain.

Just making light of it.😁😁

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Illegal is illegal. Fixed Penalty on its way👍👍

I’ll be honest if it’s a choice of the owner getting done for that plate or some prat getting done for speeding or no mot, instance etc etc.

I know which I’d prefer 🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I don't really care too much about spacing but, it is a bit naughty when letters take a bit of working out. If there was an incident and you had to try and identify a vehicle with incorrectly spaced numbers/letters, it's easy to make a mistake, which could end up with a potential offender getting away with it.

in this instance we know it was a morello, but for example, Joe public gets side swiped or something by Mr Morello and all he knows is its a big white motor that looks like a 7.5t lorry and he thinks the reg is M11 ELO, or something like that...

So in the interest of safety its good to be legal, but I'm afraid that aint what Mr Morello's ego is interested in. I think he had a tow car registered KN08 EDD :unsure:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
NIPPY, a local taxi service has around ½ dozen private plates.
All permutations of NIPPY
Some very simple, others need a bit of work to see the word.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
An illegal plate is an illegal plate.

But..
If that plate had been on an old rust bucket I don’t think the original poster would have been so upset.

So my guess is that it’s the show of money that upsets ??

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It's a bit like the pedants that get so worked up about the differences between there and their, or apostrophes in the wrong place. Does it matter providing you know what the person means!
But that's the whole point about correct English. Since we are communicating in a few words, it's understanding what the person means! How many times do you read something a number of times to work it out? Do they mean there, the place, or their, they're things. Likewise with apostrophies. Does it belong to them, or is it plural? But then, I'm an ex proof reader. Remember them? All gone by the by now. No one cares😭. Mind you I'm partially happy. The amount of times I've missed something and been picked up over it😁. Pendants of the World ... Forget it😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
An illegal plate is an illegal plate.

But..
If that plate had been on an old rust bucket I don’t think the original poster would have been so upset.

So my guess is that it’s the show of money that upsets ??

I agree illegal is illegal but using safety as a reason for inappropriate spacing is a joke in my opinion.

Any copper spotting an illegal plate Is more likely to keep an eye on that vehicle.

People probably take more notice of any vehicle with a plate like that as well.

Is the “safety” word used because ANPR or speed cameras struggle with said plates?
If a plate doesn’t register with ANPR surely it’s more likely to be stopped 🤷‍♂️

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Yep, agreed

But I don’t think that that driver would be safe from the OP if they happened upon each other. 🤭

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back