Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Just checked the 12V output on my Bluetti power bank and at 13.3V it is higher than I expected but you would probably need 14.2V or more to achieve any charging. Running a mains charger from the power bank would work but would be inefficient. I think you would get most benefit by running things directly from the sockets/plugs.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I plug my Ecoflow Delta into the EHU to top up the leisure batteries in winter,and it works a treat. Then charge the Ecoflow up again through the cigarette socket.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Or the motorhome solar controller output can be connected to the 12V charging input of the Ecoflow.
So I just tried to charge my Anker 757 with my folding solar kit with it's onboard PWM controller and it's a no.
I don't know if the Anker doesn't like the PWM's output or that the folding panel controller doesn't recognise the Anker as a battery, but they won't play together.

I am loathe to cut the cables to bypass the panel's controller so I might buy a cheap 100w Renolgy panel off amazon to see if that works... on the basis that if it doesn't, I can send it back, and if it does I can send it back & get a bigger one.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
So I just tried to charge my Anker 757 with my folding solar kit with it's onboard PWM controller and it's a no.
I don't know if the Anker doesn't like the PWM's output or that the folding panel controller doesn't recognise the Anker as a battery, but they won't play together.

I am loathe to cut the cables to bypass the panel's controller so I might buy a cheap 100w Renolgy panel off amazon to see if that works... on the basis that if it doesn't, I can send it back, and if it does I can send it back & get a bigger one.
I would expect the Anker to have an inbuilt MPPT controller. It won’t like a second controller in the circuit.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I would expect the Anker to have an inbuilt MPPT controller. It won’t like a second controller in the circuit.
It does and it didn't.
I was hoping it would see the panel's output as a pseudo cigarette socket output as its the same socket.
But I suspect the panel's controller didn't see the Anker as a battery connection

Anyway - Plan B, just ordered off Amazon a rigid 100w panel, see if I can get that to work... and presuming I do, whether the output/charging is worth lugging the panel around.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Langtoftlad
I bought an Ecoflow 220w folding solar panel to go with my Ecoflow Delta and it charges very well. Do Anker do there own solar panel that will marry with the power bank?

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Jo662
anker do make them. But very expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Langtoftlad
I bought an Ecoflow 220w folding solar panel to go with my Ecoflow Delta and it charges very well. Do Anker do there own solar panel that will marry with the power bank?
Yes
Jo662
anker do make them. But very expensive.
This too

Plus there is significant doubts about the longevity of these folding panels plus their efficiency when they get hot.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I was reading an American forum last night about Anker & Solar panel recharging which does appear to be a little problematic - getting & maximising the volts/amps within limits

Another quirk seems to be the Anker's "Power Saving Mode" [I think they call it the Eco Mode over there]... Users are finding that with this enabled, the solar panels' output is not enough to wake the unit up and start recharging when the sun comes up. The panel has to be unplugged & plugged back in.

However, another poster [I think from the UK] reported no such issues as because of his CPAP use overnight, he didn't switch on the Power Saving, and he found his panel(s) started recharging with no problem 🤷‍♂️.

He also commented that his typical evening & overnight use used about 30% capacity and there was some discussion if Anker's switchover circuitry from fast to slow at 80% might cause a glitch at restarting the charge.

Apparently, Anker's tech support say that whilst any solar panel can be used to charge the 757, the best option and most compatible is of course, their own [overpriced] panel.
They are apparently designing the next version which will be less picky but that's 3-4months down the line - and no use to us who already have the power bank.

But the 80% switch from fast to low 'glitch', did make me wonder if that was my issue - though I doubt it.
My Anker is currently reading at 85%
So maybe that is why my folding panel didn't talk to the Anker - I'll have to run it down a bit and have another play [any sun tomorrow?]

If this sounds like a complaint or criticism of the Anker 757, it's not.
I'm generally very happy with the extra battery capacity I've gained, plus a huge amount of flexibility about how I can use that capacity. If I can get a few amps from this cheap 100w panel I've got coming tomorrow, that's a bonus.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You don't need to use Anker panels(I have confirmation in writing). I use a couple of these
Amazon product ASIN B08J89C3DN
Bit pricey for me... albeit somewhat cheaper than the Anker branded ones
I've got a rigid Renogy 100w coming today - £80
We'll see how get on with that, and take it from there.

In other other "what can it run" trials
An aircon unit! I've got one of those basic "portable" ones in my bedroom.
30 mins = 35% Peak 750w Min 115w Rated 1200w
Half an hour isn't long but it cools my bedroom by a few degrees to make it more comfortable
I reckon it would be effective in my PVC [Unlikely I'd ever lug it out to the van though]

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
An aircon unit! I've got one of those basic "portable" ones in my bedroom.
30 mins = 35% Peak 750w Min 115w Rated 1200w
It's useful to distinguish between the power consumed and the cooling power, which can be very different. One example I've seen has an electrical power consumption of 1000W, but has a 'cooling power' of 2600W. That's the magic of heat pumps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back