May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
I have the Ecoflow,but I also have 2x100ah lithium batteries . I had the EF before I upgraded,but I still use it when iv been at THS for 5 or 6 days to recharge the batteries when there’s not been enough solar to replenish the lithium.
And as you say it’s good to use away from the motorhome,which iv done many times.

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
What do you use electricity for ?
Light (12 volt presumably)
TV (240 or 12 volts) and how many hours a day
Presuming not for fridge as that wont last long
Charging phones laptops ? how many how often
How long do you stay in one place before doing how many miles to the next stop ?
Do you have solar and if so how much - 100 watts just noticed
Do you use motorhome in UK in winter or just in summer - just noticed youre concerned about April in France - Whereabouts in France and how long ?
Hi, we use electric for hairdryer ,TV, , small induction hob single plate, 2 phones ,1 tablet, normally the fridge , we are doing about 3 weeks travelling down to the south of France then into Spain, we do use the van in the cooler months .

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
"normally the fridge" ?
Does fridge run off gas ?
If so use gas for fridge and 2 batteries should be good for you with 100 w of solar and get one of those 20-30 quid battery banks.
You ll be good as long as the wife doesnt have super long hair !

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have 220 ah of AGM batteries, and my usage is lighting, recently fitted diesel heater, compressor fridge freezer, CPAP machine, 12 volt cooler in awning and electric supply to awning.
Last year I saw a brand new unopened Jackery 1000 explorer at cash converters for £575 and I snatched it up, I’ve bought 200 watt of portable solar panels and a Victron 75/15 solar charger, as I make sure that I’ve enough power for my CPAP.

John.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
i have never let them deplete completely,but if I did I would think they would get up to 50%.
The Jackery 1000 has a 1002Wh battery, equivalent to 1002/12 = 83Ah at 12V. That would top up your 2x100Ah lithium batteries by about 83/200 x 100 = 41%. So 2 full Jackery charges would take them from 20% to 100%,

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The Jackery 1000 has a 1002Wh battery, equivalent to 1002/12 = 83Ah at 12V. That would top up your 2x100Ah lithium batteries by about 83/200 x 100 = 41%. So 2 full Jackery charges would take them from 20% to 100%,

On that basis it’d be much cheaper to add another lithium to the bank.

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
i have never let them deplete completely,but if I did I would think they would get up to 50%.

A bit like having a petrol generator then. Some have them but find that they never really need to use them.

It’s a good argument for having one then.🤔😉

Ian

Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
I have a Noco boost GB40, it can be used as a small 12v back up supply/charger as well as its main function, starting your vehicle if your battery is flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A bit like having a petrol generator then. Some have them but find that they never really need to use them.

It’s a good argument for having one then.🤔😉

Ian
I honestly think a petrol generator is a far better bet even if you never use it, less than half the price of these power pack things and never goes flat even if it disturbs your neighbours.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I would have thought you could charge one of those jackery things overnight in a camping car park for 12 euros or an aire with electric option for 4 euros or even free electric at some.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I'd have thought it'd be much more expensive to upgrade the batteries and add an inverter. For example Costco was recently selling an EcoFlow Delta (1260Wh battery, 1800W PSW inverter, surge to 3300W) for £900 - can you really get all those upgrades for less than £1k?
No. I looked into it last year. I had a 180w solar panel installed, and my battery replaced with a larger capacity one and moved for better power resources in the van. Swapping to Lithium would've involved ancillary costs as well as the cost of the battery/s. I also bought an Ecoflow River Pro, which I used in February when away in the van when solar is more limited. Part of the reason for buying it was the capability to use it when I'm not travelling in the van, so it has wider flexibility of use. Power is 'horses for courses', like most other things in motor homing.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
And if you had bought a power bank you would still need to buy and fit solar panels to charge it. :giggle:
I've got a separate solar panel for mine, but you can make a fairly easy adaptation so that you can plug it into the van's solar setup and charge from that. I've seen at least one other van set up that way.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Just to get picky, the Jackery will have a Lithium battery, so it is more correct to say it is equivalent to a 78Ah value :) (the Ah value of Lithiums are based on a voltage of 12.8V rather than the 12.0V of a Lead Acid)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
A combination of circumstances and a lack of self-control has led us to picking up an Ecoflow Delta from Costco last night :blusher:

We're about to go away for 3 nights without EHU and know from previous trips that the ebikes won't last long enough for everything we want to do. So rather than having to carry the chargers with us and try and find somewhere that'll let us charge, and seeing as Costco has the Ecoflow Delta on offer at the moment we decided to go for it. At just under £670 (after Costco Exec and Amex cashback) I think its a pretty good deal - its about the same kind of price as two Specialized range extenders, but should be much more versatile (y)

I've got a separate solar panel for mine, but you can make a fairly easy adaptation so that you can plug it into the van's solar setup and charge from that. I've seen at least one other van set up that way.
The Delta came with a cigarette lighter cable and one for solar panels.....and as we already have a solar panel on the roof I'm interested to know what I need to do to charge it from there?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
One option is to charge it from the leisure battery, and let the solar panel fill up the leisure battery whenever there is enough sunshine. Is your Ecoflow Delta the one with a battery of 1260Wh? That's equivalent to 1260/12 = 105Ah at 12V. How many watts is your solar panel? You'll get about 30Ah to 40Ah per day from 100W of solar panel.

You'll get slightly more into the Ecoflow by wiring the solar panel directly into it, but probably not worth the effort of messing about with all the connections. Is your leisure battery lithium or lead-acid? Lithium has a more efficient charging process, over 90% of the charge going in is usable, but for lead-acids only about 75% is usable. In other words to fully charge a 100Ah lead-acid will require an input of about 130Ah.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
A combination of circumstances and a lack of self-control has led us to picking up an Ecoflow Delta from Costco last night
Must resist, must resist

Animated GIF

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
One option is to charge it from the leisure battery, and let the solar panel fill up the leisure battery whenever there is enough sunshine. Is your Ecoflow Delta the one with a battery of 1260Wh? That's equivalent to 1260/12 = 105Ah at 12V. How many watts is your solar panel? You'll get about 30Ah to 40Ah per day from 100W of solar panel.

You'll get slightly more into the Ecoflow by wiring the solar panel directly into it, but probably not worth the effort of messing about with all the connections. Is your leisure battery lithium or lead-acid? Lithium has a more efficient charging process, over 90% of the charge going in is usable, but for lead-acids only about 75% is usable. In other words to fully charge a 100Ah lead-acid will require an input of about 130Ah.

Yep its the 1260Wh one (as per usual for Costco, its slightly cheaper in store than it is online).

We've no idea what size our solar panel it is....it was already on the MH when we bought it, the dealer said they didn't know, and there is no documentation. We have two batteries which I believe are 80ah gels....but I can only see the ends and I've not actually had them out to have a look at them (too heavy & too awkward). A lot of unknowns here........ which is why I'm not keen on the idea of charging the Delta from the leisure batteries. Partly because of the unknowns, but mostly because the basic functions (powered by the leisure batteries) are much more important than the the luxuries (powered by the Delta) and I don't want to risk running them down.

To be honest, its not that often we spend long period off grid so in all likelihood we'll probably just recharge it when we're next at a place with EHU, but I was just curious how easy it would be to use the existing solar panel to recharge it. To be honest this is somewhat of an experiment in how useful the thing will be....being Costco we can always take it back for a refund if we decide its not worth it in the end (y)

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I brought this from costco all the units recharge from dead to 80% on 240v demestic in around an hour

I have to say that it's not bad as I didn't want to install loads of things in the motorhome and not be able to use them elsewhere

I do which Id gone for the bigger unit but I wouldn't of gotten the solar which I've used quite alot

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So I already have a portable [luggable] 120w panel which has a pwm controller attached and is connected via an Anderson Plug.

Could I plug this solar panel [no doubt needing an cable adapter] directly - or would I have to disable/bypass the existing attached solar controller?

Which is a better unit - the Anker or the EcoFlow other than price
Or doesn't make much difference

See how my resistance is working 😵‍💫

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
The Ecoflow comes with solar panel cables ending in a pair of MC4 connectors (presumably designed for their own solar panels). But it
also has the following instructions for connecting to other ones:
2023-05-24 10.51.43.jpg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We've no idea what size our solar panel it is....it was already on the MH when we bought it, the dealer said they didn't know, and there is no documentation.
Solar panel watts depends mostly on the total area. So if you measure the panel, calculate its area, and compare it to sizes of solar panels in online ads you won't go far wrong. The voltage, if you want to know it, depends on the number of cells, so you could count the cells. Popular layouts are 9 x 4 = 36 cells and 10 x 6 = 60 cells.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back