Police checking motorhomes and caravans on M5 (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
1000007465.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
My m/h stays ready to go, fully loaded with the same stuff for every trip except for adding clothes and basic fresh food. Fully loaded the weighbridge weight leaves me a spare 130kg of payload so it's highly unlikely that I'll ever exceed my max permissible. I don't treat it like a garden shed or keep piling more 'essential' or 'handy' stuff into it as if the max permissible was a target. In fact, after the first couple of naĆÆve trips, 25+ years ago, loaded with 'must have' stuff I tended to gradually remove much of it after finding that I never needed it.
130kg means nowt unless you know where to put it - ooh eer šŸ˜‚

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm surprised the authorities (tax collectors) haven't introduced MOTs for caravans and trailers.
Not an MOT issue but many must be running on original tyres....
I would certainly welcome this on safety grounds. So many caravans hitched up and considered ready to go after a very cursorary inspection.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We were on a local Centre CC rally years back. On the Sunday one guy lost his van off the hitch before he got to the road. The caravan sat there with the tow hitch apparently trying to lock onto a satellite but only after clobbering the back of his Volvo causing significant damage.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Lastly , (I don't know the answer) do all the immigrants that have learnt to drive in the 3rd world have to pass a British driving test to drive here?
After one year of living in the UK you are required to either take a driving test or exchange your (full) foreign DL for a UK one.
There is a comprehensive list of countries DL's that can be exchanged for a full UK license.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
No so much for VWE as heā€™s is now suspended from upplating while he gets reassessment for the necessary certifications
Not sure why but his certificate was revoked

Where/how did you find this out?

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
payload is serious problem with dealers not interested in telling potential buyers about it and most hire companies not even mentioning it. overweight vans are common and I've said for years that it was only a matter of time before the authorities realised how much money could be made. vehicle insurance is also invalid if the van is found to be overweight - potentially a very expensive accident. how many 6 berth hire vans are under 3500kg?
There is usually an insurance requirement to keep a vehicle in a roadworthy condition. If you check the ombudsman website, you can find a number of instances where an insurance payout was denied because of illegal tyres, but I cannot find any where it was denied because of vehicle weight. https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decisions-case-studies
I'm surprised the authorities (tax collectors) haven't introduced MOTs for caravans and trailers.
Not an MOT issue but many must be running on original tyres....
The last time I looked at the evidence, people towing caravans and other trailers were statistically less likely to be involved in killed or serious injury incidents. So there has not been enough evidence to suggest that a testing regime for trailers would improve safety. A caravan MOT would not stop the idiots who overload the caravan, or don't understand noseweight.

Upvote 0

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Talking of weights. Poor George Russell (Mercedes) disqualified after winning at Spa. He was 1.75kg Underweight.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Talking of weights. Poor George Russell (Mercedes) disqualified after winning at Spa. He was 1.75kg Underweight.
Now you're complicating GVW with Unladen Weight :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

He was OK for weight at the end of the race but then under weight when they took out the remaining fuel.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is usually an insurance requirement to keep a vehicle in a roadworthy condition. If you check the ombudsman website, you can find a number of instances where an insurance payout was denied because of illegal tyres, but I cannot find any where it was denied because of vehicle weight. https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decisions-case-studies

The last time I looked at the evidence, people towing caravans and other trailers were statistically less likely to be involved in killed or serious injury incidents. So there has not been enough evidence to suggest that a testing regime for trailers would improve safety. A caravan MOT would not stop the idiots who overload the caravan, or don't understand noseweight.
But what about injury to others?

My Grandmother was critically injured by a caravan that became unhitched from the towing vehicle. No damage to caravan nor towing vehicle - cause of accident was found to be faulty hitch and safety chain not attached correctly.

If there had been an MOT type test for the caravan the faulty hitch may have been spotted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Towat101

Free Member
Feb 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
So a vehicle rated at 3000kg max gvw, loaded at 4000kg is OK then.
The braking distance required alone is enough to make you think if seriously overloaded, let alone make the vehicle less stable.
I think this sort of check is long overdue in some sense, and will get people educated to understand exactly what they can and should do regarding weight restrictions, and realise they can't take everything including the portable jacuzzi away with them.
Just my opinion though,ta.
No but a vehicle rated at 3500kg gvw can be uprated to 3850kg by filling in a few forms with DVLA.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
The oddest thing around here is that many of those caught by the mobile camera speeding are residents of the village, or the next who have campaigning to bring speeds down.

It's a known fact that when on familiar home turf, people are less careful than where they are less sure of the road.

Two villages away, one of the most vocal complainants about others speeding got clocked and stopped by the police doing 43mph in the 30mph next village. No-one laughed.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
No but a vehicle rated at 3500kg gvw can be uprated to 3850kg by filling in a few forms with DVLA.
Not all can be uprated to 3850 without modification. Also not much help if you donā€™t have a C1. Anyone younger than 45 is unlikely to have a C1 and those of us over 70 have to jump through medical hoops to keep it. I am not going to do another stress test to keep my C1 next year, far too stressful.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The oddest thing around here is that many of those caught by the mobile camera speeding are residents of the village, or the next who have campaigning to bring speeds down.

It's a known fact that when on familiar home turf, people are less careful than where they are less sure of the road.

Two villages away, one of the most vocal complainants about others speeding got clocked and stopped by the police doing 43mph in the 30mph next village. No-one laughed.
Same thing happened where I used to live. The first victim was the very vocal chairman of the PC who used to go out of his way to upset people. Again, nobody laughed

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Only if it was originally built on a 3850kg chassis and then down plated (to 3500kg) by the manufacturer to allow it to be driven on a cat. B license.

Otherwise it will need upgrading, usually tyres with a high enough load rating and possibly semi air suspension on the rear axle.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Nahā€¦.. we have a problem with vehicles speeding through the village. They started checking after we put up a couple of strategically placed solar powered speed signs which collect data and sent them 6 months worth.
It's well known Enforcement people say local people don't speed in their own villages/town but quite often do in others towns or villages.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Well when I was Chairman of a council we invited Suffolk Highways to a meeting primarily about bad road conditions ( there are more miles of roads in Suffolk than on Cyprus)!! He also said these speeding habits were from their statistics,I assume that comes from speed checks collating and working with councils.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I agree. When I did speed checks it was mainly the locals we caught.
When I was a primary school governor, parents would complain that dangerous driving and parking made it harder for the children to walk or cycle to school. The bad driving and parking was almost always parents. In some cases, the same ones who had been complaining!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back