Police checking motorhomes and caravans on M5 (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
1000007465.jpg

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Can you wonder at it ? They are checking weights after all the harping on here about overloading, I said previously that this would happen so I suspect we have started something which at the very least will cause convenience, or do we all weigh our vehicles every time we go out ? Hoping we don't get pulled before entering weighbridge.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
People have been harping on here about motorhomes sold to an unwary public with not enough legal payload. Sorry about bringing that to light. :rolleyes:
That's right I not realising this in 2007 I bought a Rapido A class and later found out that my wife would have to sit in the back, to prevent over loading the front axle she weighed 8 Stone !!

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I think once the penny drops how many are overloaded and the potential cash cow this could create we shall see more of these checks. I may sound cynical and I am in no way advocating driving with an overweight vehicle, but these days it has very little to do with safety and more to do with revenue collection. It gets my why they can call speed camera vans “safety units” if they had anything to do with safety they would scream at you and force you to slow down and make your journey safer. Sending you a fine through the post 10 days later has done nothing to promote your safety. They are revenue generators and nothing more, just another form of tax.
Imagine the sort of society we would live in if individually we could all pick and choose what to, or not, comply with in law. Where do you draw the line?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Imagine the sort of society we would live in if individually we could all pick and choose what to, or not, comply with in law. Where do you draw the line?
Not sure why you make the assumption I advocate picking and choosing compliance with laws. If you refer back to my comment you shall see that the parallel I draw is between the effectiveness of risk removal by issuing fines via speed vans and the use of the term “Safety Camera” when in reality the van does nothing to improve safety when covertly lurking behind a bush and makes no intervention to stop the occurring risk. It merely issues financial penalty at a later date.
I could go on and open the conversation about LEZ charges, do they really improve the environment or create yet another revenue stream similar to these speed vans.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
And following any penalty you would hope that a person would learn and do something different. Not everybody does! In many cases drivers are offered speed awareness courses in an effort to educate. An operation like this would be addressing a range of issues from stolen vehicles, no insurance, licensing, and construction and use. I doubt it would make much money.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
There you go again, trying to spoil a tired narrative by providing actual facts and details - outrageous :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)
:LOL: I must also confess to a vested interest, one of the reasons I comment on this type of thread. I have been on both sides of the fence with DVSA! Worked with them and been checked by them, perfectly civilised encounters on either side of the fence. I have also benefited from speeding detections as I used to run speed awareness courses, in no position to direct any enforcement but daily had two classes of 24 clients so an opportunity to try and influence a reasonable number of drivers each day. I also conduct driving tests and commercial vehicle safety assessments; one of the stand-out factors is the limited understanding of the driving environment. Poor driving attitudes combined with poor/limited capability can reasonably expect poor outcomes. We consistently kill 5 people every day through our driver behaviour, almost all of them avoidable! I try my best to be compliant but accept I make mistakes just like everyone else, but the fault would lie with me not any enforcement regime in operation that I fall foul of.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
This reminds me of a strange/stupid tale that I heard during my first visit to France, back in about '83, while towing a caravan.

We were on a Caravan Club Rally to Carnac, and met this chap who told me a tale of woe. His van had flipped on the journey to the docks in England, and he thought that his his holiday was over. However, through the good offices of the Caravan Club and his insurance policy, he had managed to get a replacement 'courtesy' caravan for the duration of his holiday.

He was busy describing this tale of woe to me as I was getting prepared to hook up and depart for the journey home. (something I hated, was people talking to me as I was trying to hook up and make sure that everything was shipshape and Bristol fashion).

I was checking the nose weight, when he informed me that I was "Doing it wrong", and he was most emphatic.

He advised that I should move some of the internal weight further to the rear so that the van could be lifted onto the tow-ball with no effort whatsoever. (I can lift mine with my little finger, he said).

I could not believe what I was hearing, and tried to put him straight as to why his own van had flipped on the outward journey, but he was having non of it, and refused to accept my advice

Whenever I see the sad wreckage of a caravan by the roadside, I wonder if it was that same idiot.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Obviously it’s not ok, no argument there. That said, are some of these vans not built on base vehicles which were initially designed/specced to run at higher weights? Hence why many can be uprated to some degree via nothing but a paper exercise?
The Movano I have comes in two variants....
The 3.5t and the 4.5t and as far as I am aware there is no... or very little differance between the two models...

Upvote 1

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The Movano I have comes in two variants....
The 3.5t and the 4.5t and as far as I am aware there is no... or very little differance between the two models...
Conversely, I think our 3.5t registered Hymer came out of the factory good for 3.85t (whether you can utilise all that with axle loading is a different question).

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
payload is serious problem with dealers not interested in telling potential buyers about it and most hire companies not even mentioning it. overweight vans are common and I've said for years that it was only a matter of time before the authorities realised how much money could be made. vehicle insurance is also invalid if the van is found to be overweight - potentially a very expensive accident. how many 6 berth hire vans are under 3500kg?

Upvote 1
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
payload is serious problem with dealers not interested in telling potential buyers about it and most hire companies not even mentioning it. overweight vans are common and I've said for years that it was only a matter of time before the authorities realised how much money could be made. vehicle insurance is also invalid if the van is found to be overweight - potentially a very expensive accident. how many 6 berth hire vans are under 3500kg?
The EU now has regulations regarding minimum payload and some manufacturers are applying this to UK sales as well.

Not sure about your statement
“vehicle insurance is also invalid if the van is found to be overweight”
Is your vehicle insurance automatically invalid if you break other laws such as the speed limit? Not suggesting anyone should drive an overweight vehicle of course.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
Comrie
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My local garage always weigh the van when they do the MOT. Very handy as it’s easy to keep adding ‘just in case’ stuff to it, especially planning for weather! I was very surprised the first time they checked as I was 20kg over but was able to sort it out very easily just taking a couple of things out. Funnily enough I had just fitted a new kitchen unit weighing 20kg.
On several roads here in Scotland they use average speed cameras, the most crucial one is on the A9 from Dunblane to Inverness, works very well on what can be quite a dangerous road. There is also a fixed vehicle check point on the M9 between Dunblane and Stirling.

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2023
Midlands
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL
Exp
5 year
Perhaps, if it is genuinely about ensuring that all are safe then perhaps it should be combined with some sort of educational publicity?

Not sure that revenue generated by needs the investment in equipment and manpower or the fact that scarce resource is being taken away fro other important areas

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
Perhaps you’re not aware of the sadly inevitable and regular accidents, overturned caravans, etc that happen during the holiday periods down here on the A38, A361, and A30?

I’ve seen too many families with their P&J scattered over the hard shoulder, not to mention the major disruption to other road users, to equate it to the speed cameras. If these operations prevent even one of those occurring then the authorities can crack on with them.
Thanks Orion. Good message. I used to travel the UK roads heavily when working and every week of the year saw smashed up caravans (and tow cars) and some mohos too! Summertime was even worse. Overweight is not just about fines and penalties, it’s about broken holidays , spinning children, personal belongings reduced to a pile of rubbish and injured people too. Foolish behaviour, and a menace to all road users.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Thanks Orion. Good message. I used to travel the UK roads heavily when working and every week of the year saw smashed up caravans (and tow cars) and some mohos too! Summertime was even worse. Overweight is not just about fines and penalties, it’s about broken holidays , spinning children, personal belongings reduced to a pile of rubbish and injured people too. Foolish behaviour, and a menace to all road users.

Thank you for the reply.

I don’t understand why this thread has spun off into discussions about speed cameras, revenue raising, and comparing them to these initiatives! In this area, (Mid Devon), the DVSA Traffic staff and Police run these operations all year round, with an obvious increase during the holiday periods as we are the gateway to the North and South coasts and further afield into Cornwall. And it’s certainly not just targeting mohos and caravans for being overweight as plenty of other vehicle classes are pulled with other offences coming to light - no MOT, no insurance, no licence, driver under the influence, drugs, etc. etc.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
Yesterday lunchtime M5 southbound stationary around Bristol from Thornbury down to goodness knows how far. I wonder how the police were picking off MHs to direct them off? Must have been adding to driver frustrations.
We were there on M5 around 2.00pm en route to Devon. Queue stretched from Thornbury J14 to Taunton J25. 15 to 20 worst stretch. Added nearly 2 hrs to the journey. C,est la vie 😱oh for the open mways of France and Spain. And of course their picnique airesx mmmm

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you for the reply.

I don’t understand why this thread has spun off into discussions about speed cameras, revenue raising, and comparing them to these initiatives! In this area, (Mid Devon), the DVSA Traffic staff and Police run these operations all year round, with an obvious increase during the holiday periods as we are the gateway to the North and South coasts and further afield into Cornwall. And it’s certainly not just targeting mohos and caravans for being overweight as plenty of other vehicle classes are pulled with other offences coming to light - no MOT, no insurance, no licence, driver under the influence, drugs, etc. etc.
Wholeheartedly agree, 👍👍👍 there’s rule ,bending, and downright stupidity. 😱😱😱

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
or do we all weigh our vehicles every time we go out ?
My m/h stays ready to go, fully loaded with the same stuff for every trip except for adding clothes and basic fresh food. Fully loaded the weighbridge weight leaves me a spare 130kg of payload so it's highly unlikely that I'll ever exceed my max permissible. I don't treat it like a garden shed or keep piling more 'essential' or 'handy' stuff into it as if the max permissible was a target. In fact, after the first couple of naïve trips, 25+ years ago, loaded with 'must have' stuff I tended to gradually remove much of it after finding that I never needed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
No so much for VWE as he’s is now suspended from upplating while he gets reassessment for the necessary certifications
Not sure why but his certificate was revoked
I was told he didn't know what he was doing or understand the specifics of such things as VB air assist limits etc.

Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I think once the penny drops how many are overloaded and the potential cash cow this could create we shall see more of these checks. I may sound cynical and I am in no way advocating driving with an overweight vehicle, but these days it has very little to do with safety and more to do with revenue collection. It gets my why they can call speed camera vans “safety units” if they had anything to do with safety they would scream at you and force you to slow down and make your journey safer. Sending you a fine through the post 10 days later has done nothing to promote your safety. They are revenue generators and nothing more, just another form of tax.
Yes and if it was about safety they would ensure the roads were safe and not full of dangerous potholes. I also think they've cut right back on maintaining grass verges making it difficult to see out of junctions sometimes. Not many police catching dangerous drivers just blanket reliance on speed cameras. Lastly , (I don't know the answer) do all the immigrants that have learnt to drive in the 3rd world have to pass a British driving test to drive here?

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We were there on M5 around 2.00pm en route to Devon. Queue stretched from Thornbury J14 to Taunton J25. 15 to 20 worst stretch. Added nearly 2 hrs to the journey. C,est la vie 😱oh for the open mways of France and Spain. And of course their picnique airesx mmmm
On ANY given Friday and Saturday (and other days as well )from the end of June to the beginning of September you will encounter what you experienced.
It's simply a case of two motorways in close proximity to a large conurbation feeding a large volume of traffic.
Add to that, poor driving going out and doing a lastminutedotcom approach to changing lanes resulting in braking to accommodate them and tailbacks going backwards at a similar speed.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
they would ensure the roads were safe and not full of dangerous potholes.
Council muppets say it is"traffic calming"
I also think they've cut right back on maintaining grass verges making it difficult to see
Along with any type of signs.
do all the immigrants that have learnt to drive in the 3rd world have to pass a British driving test to drive here?
Aah the donkey stranglers & camel herders. Inn Spain they recently rounded up 00's who had false licenses.

Upvote 0

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
On several roads here in Scotland they use average speed cameras, the most crucial one is on the A9 from Dunblane to Inverness, works very well on what can be quite a dangerous road.
Likewise for the twisty Stranraer Ferry road.

PS ..... akadingbat = LOVE your avatar picture >>> COOL !! :hi5:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am not sure what a “ valid warrant card” has to do with it?
No warrant card proves they are not police and not on official police business. Therefore have no more right to park on a pavement etc than any member of the public. To be prosecuted a police officer has to report you for the offence. If they were not there, how can they be certain an offence occurred? Plus why are the speeding wombles allowed to break the law with immunity?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
This reminds me of a strange/stupid tale that I heard during my first visit to France, back in about '83, while towing a caravan.

We were on a Caravan Club Rally to Carnac, and met this chap who told me a tale of woe. His van had flipped on the journey to the docks in England, and he thought that his his holiday was over. However, through the good offices of the Caravan Club and his insurance policy, he had managed to get a replacement 'courtesy' caravan for the duration of his holiday.

He was busy describing this tale of woe to me as I was getting prepared to hook up and depart for the journey home. (something I hated, was people talking to me as I was trying to hook up and make sure that everything was shipshape and Bristol fashion).

I was checking the nose weight, when he informed me that I was "Doing it wrong", and he was most emphatic.

He advised that I should move some of the internal weight further to the rear so that the van could be lifted onto the tow-ball with no effort whatsoever. (I can lift mine with my little finger, he said).

I could not believe what I was hearing, and tried to put him straight as to why his own van had flipped on the outward journey, but he was having non of it, and refused to accept my advice

Whenever I see the sad wreckage of a caravan by the roadside, I wonder if it was that same idiot.
Reminds me of an incident at a camping & caravanning club rally a few years back.

A twin axle caravan was being hooked up, but before the hitch was over the ball, the jockey wheel collapsed snapping the bracket. 4 men tried to lift the hitch but couldn't. Looking inside, the full awning and God knows what else was piled up in the front. He believed that more noseweight was better.

Generally it is 75kg and maximum 100kg. Heavy items like a huge awning being placed above the axle(s) in a neutral position. The incident actually was useful in educating a few people in the dangers of too much or too little nose weight and worse too much tailweight. Both can be deadly

Upvote 0

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Isn’t there a thread on here somewhere about “have you ever been stopped and weighed”? So now we know it does happen. Actually haven’t they done caravan checks before on the M5 but a bit further north?
Yes they did, over 12yrs ago, at the first or second services after joining M5. had a caravan then, all good though

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Isn’t there a thread on here somewhere about “have you ever been stopped and weighed”? So now we know it does happen. Actually haven’t they done caravan checks before on the M5 but a bit further north?
It was done by Junction 27 no Tiverton a few years ago, and M5 before

Carol

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back