Police checking motorhomes and caravans on M5 (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
1000007465.jpg

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Added afterthought......

It's more a case of protecting others from your irresponsible attitude.
If their intentions were to protect others then surely an immediate intervention should be made to remove the risk by stopping the unsafe act. What they are currently doing is imposing financial penalty which if repeated sufficiently would eventually eliminate risk by removal of driver entitlement. Therefore, I stand by my point that these operations are more about raising revenue than reducing risk to road users.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Perhaps youā€™re not aware of the sadly inevitable and regular accidents, overturned caravans, etc that happen during the holiday periods down here on the A38, A361, and A30?

Iā€™ve seen too many families with their P&J scattered over the hard shoulder, not to mention the major disruption to other road users, to equate it to the speed cameras. If these operations prevent even one of those occurring then the authorities can crack on with them.
So what will a camera van do? Most slow down when seeing them then speed up afterwards, or those that do get caught and are speeding continue at the same speed potentially oblivious to the fact they have been caught and continue unsafe practices for remainder of the journey.
If this really was about safety then the Police should be dealing with it where an immediate intervention is made, speeding ticket issued and a stern conversation by the officers. All the speed vans do is collect revenue and add very little to road safety.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yesterday lunchtime M5 southbound stationary around Bristol from Thornbury down to goodness knows how far. I wonder how the police were picking off MHs to direct them off? Must have been adding to driver frustrations.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Had our new to us VW T5 t30 campervan weighed on Thursday with pop-top roof and full conversion, plus 80 ltrs diesel as full and 6kg water, plus gas at 3kg.
GVW unladen is 3000kg.
Van came in at 2180kg.
With 2 adults at 75kg each and grand kids at 21kg each makes us at 2372kg ready to load and roll.
Payload therefore at 628kg!!!
Was quite surprised at this and we won't use anywhere near this as we are completely downsizing.
Oh, and van has uprated tyres for weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Had our new to us VW T5 t30 campervan weighed on Thursday with pop-top roof and full conversion, plus 80 ltrs diesel as full and 6kg water, plus gas at 3kg.
GVW unladen is 3000kg.
Van came in at 2180kg.
With 2 adults at 75kg each and grand kids at 21kg each makes us at 2372kg ready to load and roll.
Payload therefore at 628kg!!!
Was quite surprised at this and we won't use anywhere near this as we are completely downsizing.
Oh, and van has uprated tyres for weight.
I'm struggling a bit on your water and gas figures.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and will get people educated to understand exactly what they can and should do regarding weight restrictions,
I doubt it. Most have no interest whatsoever. Why would they?
Weightwise...I'm still staggered that people will pay tens of thousands on a motorhome/campervan but baulk at paying a tenner (and maybe a 50 mile round trip) to get it weighed to have a starting point.
.. none will ever weigh the cars they buy so why would it occur to them to weigh a motorhome?

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Good advert for the services of VWE and SV tech?
No so much for VWE as heā€™s is now suspended from upplating while he gets reassessment for the necessary certifications
Not sure why but his certificate was revoked

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If their intentions were to protect others then surely an immediate intervention should be made to remove the risk by stopping the unsafe act.
I understand that's what they do by making people unload until at the legal weight.
Therefore, I stand by my point that these operations are more about raising revenue than reducing risk to road users.
I don't disagree with that and I respect everyone's opinion so you don't need to 'stand by your point' as I didn't suggest that protecting others was the only benefit, but up til the point they unload some stuff at the check point it seems logical to me that they may have been a potential hazard to others.
I don't know the amount of the fines issued but I guess they must defray some of the cost of operating the check point.
In short, the checks and fines don't concern me at all as I use a weighbridge and never travel overweight but I'm keen not to be wiped out on account of someone else's vehicle being overweight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The checks were yesterday the 26th I thought ?

I looked at the date and time at the top of the report.
If their intentions were to protect others then surely an immediate intervention should be made to remove the risk by stopping the unsafe act. What they are currently doing is imposing financial penalty which if repeated sufficiently would eventually eliminate risk by removal of driver entitlement. Therefore, I stand by my point that these operations are more about raising revenue than reducing risk to road users.

DVSA will not allow a vehicle to proceed if dangerously overweight.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
No so much for VWE as heā€™s is now suspended from upplating while he gets reassessment for the necessary certifications
Not sure why but his certificate was revoked
Surely just an admin glitch, he does the most thorough of reports, and great advice.

Used both and they have both been great.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL

The report was the 27th but the checks were carried out on the 26th as per the date below the picture.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
At voluntary, confidential, weigh-in of Funsters at Peterborough a few years ago, we found about 30% to be overloaded, 10% of those were seriously overloading rear axles. Almost every van that was overweight was plated at 3.5t
Yes, I remember that. As I recall, mine was 880kg šŸ˜³ which made me think a lot about payloads

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Should the BBC be publishing this at 0922 on Sat morning, giving drivers ample warning to be able to avoid that stretch of M/way.

Well they count aircraft out of airbases to give our enemy a heads up. (Not that the BBC ever called them the enemy) So why not warn motorhome owners :D (y)

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I'm struggling a bit on your water and gas figures.
It's a VW.

3kg of gas is probably a 904 camping gaz. A 907 would be 5-6 kg with the bottle.

Lots of different water containers if no underslung tank, so a slim 6 litres is a popular option.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think once the penny drops how many are overloaded and the potential cash cow this could create we shall see more of these checks. I may sound cynical and I am in no way advocating driving with an overweight vehicle, but these days it has very little to do with safety and more to do with revenue collection. It gets my why they can call speed camera vans ā€œsafety unitsā€ if they had anything to do with safety they would scream at you and force you to slow down and make your journey safer. Sending you a fine through the post 10 days later has done nothing to promote your safety. They are revenue generators and nothing more, just another form of tax.
I disagree. In North Yorkshire we have no fixed cameras but mobile vans that can be almost anywhere. It means you have to drive always within the limit or close to it unless you want a ticket. I think we ought to have more mobile cameras around the country and they should be allowed to operate anywhere.

Upvote 2
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
ink its time the whole business of weight/payload was overhauled. We bought an Elddis Aspire 255 in 2012, it was rated at 3500kg at the NEC the supplying dealer threw in a paper upgrade to 3700 kg but two adults tow dogs and a packet of crisps we were 3580 kg. We bought a new Burstner IEXO 736 4 berth 2019 rated at 4000kgs even with 20 litres of water minimum bedding and food we were 4120 kgs with four adults. Even we uprated to 4500 kg we have to be careful when loading.

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
ink its time the whole business of weight/payload was overhauled. We bought an Elddis Aspire 255 in 2012, it was rated at 3500kg at the NEC the supplying dealer threw in a paper upgrade to 3700 kg but two adults tow dogs and a packet of crisps we were 3580 kg. We bought a new Burstner IEXO 736 4 berth 2019 rated at 4000kgs even with 20 litres of water minimum bedding and food we were 4120 kgs with four adults. Even we uprated to 4500 kg we have to be careful when loading.
I donā€™t think it needs overhauled, what it needs is manufacturers to build motorhomes fit for purpose.

Upvote 1

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp

I was referring to mobile speed cameras which do nothing more than issue fines šŸ˜‰ No intervention to make the situation safe. The offender continues at excessive speed so how can they claim they are safety vans?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If thatā€™s the on A23 going north itā€™s been there for years got pulled with an artic 40 years ago
Yes it is, and it has been there more than 40 years. I've lived 6 miles down the road for 42 years and for the 10 years until I retired I passed it twice a day on my commute.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I disagree. In North Yorkshire we have no fixed cameras but mobile vans that can be almost anywhere. It means you have to drive always within the limit or close to it unless you want a ticket. I think we ought to have more mobile cameras around the country and they should be allowed to operate anywhere.
As I found when I drove my son's car in N.Yorks, the 'Waze' app seemed to be one step ahead of the mobile vans on the Scarborough A64.

Upvote 0

DandJ

Free Member
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I was referring to mobile speed cameras which do nothing more than issue fines šŸ˜‰ No intervention to make the situation safe. The offender continues at excessive speed so how can they claim they are safety vans?
I'm half with you...if a uniformed cop in a dayglo jacket stood at the side of a road and shook his/her head and pointed at people who weren't driving to the letter of the law...they'd slow down/put their phone down etc etc. You could argue his/her presence contributes to safety as people slow down. The same sort of thing with camera vans...people see them and slow down....but I'd rather they were just honest and called them speed camera vans. "Speeding is against the law, speed and you may get done, don't moan about it, just slow down" sort of thing.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As I found when I drove my son's car in N.Yorks, the 'Waze' app seemed to be one step ahead of the mobile vans on the Scarborough A64.
They will be ahead of the vans most of the time but before enough users report them for it to show up they will get a few! I actually would be in favour of apps reporting speed camera positions being made illegal

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back