On the Road Again ! Poland - Slowakia - Austria - Italy - Greece........and back.

OP
OP
N
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Mani Peninsula.

We had touched places in the Mani before but this time we filled-in more bits, including deeper into the 'Deep Mani'

Conclusion is that we were generally disappointed, although there were good spots. It is quite barren, as expected, and there are a lot of Byzantine churches if that is your thing.

Where there is much sign of life it is of the touristy style with beach umbrellas and sunbeds, but not many natural beaches with a family-run taverna, but we did find one very good one, which was just 2km from what I can only describe as a 'French-style beach club', which we scootled away from very quickly.

The huge exodus of people from the Mani is now being replaced by tourism, but in my opinion not the the sort that attracted people to Greece for its natural beauty - sunbeds do not grow naturally like tamarisk trees!

Some of the less attractive places are even having the cheek to charge higher than normal prices - but to us only once.

The best food we had was in a taverna in Kardamyli which was recommended by an English friend who lives in Athens. The food and service was exceptional; they served wine in 1/2lts and the prices were what one expects to pay in Greece - result we stayed another day, another excellent meal.

I doubt we would return to the Mani.

I think our next trip to Greece will include one or two of my favourite islands - ones without charter flights, because I assume flights more recently to Kalamata have changed the tourism on the Peloponnese and Mani in particular.

We have 9 nights ahead of us in W. Peloponnese, which will include 2-3 spots we like and then Patras- Bari for a few weeks in Italy to look forward to, we hope.

Geoff

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hope the weather is holding out Geoff. Tornados in Aldershot yesterday apparently and the forecast for Devon next week where we are moving on to today is awful. 😁

I always liked the quieter islands although we were very fond of North Eastern Corfu. Durrell's Corfu that is.

OP
OP
N
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hope the weather is holding out Geoff. Tornados in Aldershot yesterday apparently and the forecast for Devon next week where we are moving on to today is awful. 😁

I always liked the quieter islands although we were very fond of North Eastern Corfu. Durrell's Corfu that is.
Barry, weather. Is fine - quite a lot of cloud last two weeks but suits us with temps now mid 20s. Only few showers.

Season is over for Greeks but not tourists so according to where we are tavernas may or may not be open, but I have resident cook if needed😂

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
At last we have got away for first time since November last. Trip earlier in year was cancelled because if illness in the family.

We left home in Katowice this morning, crossed into Slowakia and are now parked up in our familiar spot in Trencin by the river and thankfully in the shade.

Dinner on board this evening then off to Austria tomorrow to another favourite spot and a favourite restaurant.

We will post from time to time.

Geoff and Basia
Have a great trip.

Would be nice to have food photos, so we can create a to-do list of restaurants! Nudge, nudge!

OP
OP
N
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
see that have not posted about our trip since 21st Sept. That is because what is relaxing for us in our favourite spots in Greece could be boring to others.

However now I have some more special reports - mostly good.

Maybe I will start with getting lucky today and then revert to the others. Today we came down to a village in the foothills of the Monti del Matese. We did not fancy the steep/narrow climb to the official CP, but entered the small village square, where there happened to be a double parking end space for us with an excellent view to the West across an agricultural plateau and mountains, the furthest of which I estimate to be close to Montecassino of WWII fame. We had just parked and were discussing veg/fruit shopping when a fruit/veg truck drove into the square to sell. Lucky or what?

Now to backtrack.

Our last days in Greece were relaxed - beaches, swimming, favourite tavernas, including an evening with MHFun 'Lurkers' with no user name, since Jim pissed them off.

Then 1730 Patras-Bari ferry. Camping on Board.
We were one line away from starboard 'window' and there was space for us to set up chairs as a 'balcony' Unusually we did not leave the vehicle deck, ate in MH and slept well.

Bari arrival: 55 mins. to disembark. An Italian had warned us to high-tail it out of Bari, which we did, but still took 30 mins. Bari is now off our ferry routes.

We headed towards Alberobello to see Trulli houses but stopped at a cemetery with a toilet block outside, which took 1 1/2 cassette. Alberobello was full of tourists even in Autumn, so we skidaddled out.

Two stops later A Gem! Agrotourist Restaurant in countryside. We parked in grove of small oaks with 4 MHs spread around. Fixed menu of 4 excellent courses for €25ea and 1/2 lt wine for €2.50. We could have been in a city restaurant for 3 times the price.

Couple of OK stops, then we headed into the Monti del Matese. Stopped on village parking with excellent view, day and night of Volturno valley. Basia went off to find recommended restaurant for evening, to be told kitchen closes on Sun at 1600 so we go for Lunch. Very noisy with families out for Sun lunch with kids, but excellent food - two whopping veal steaks(1 cm thick for Basia and large chunks of lamb for me, all in great sauces with fresh crisp roast potatoes.

Next day over the Col, 11km, tp a plateau with a lake and gravel parking. This is 3,000' up and across to 6,000 peaks. Total tranquility. Some cows and sheep beep herded along the lakeside and that was all. This morning we woke at 0700 to 50m fog which burned off by 0900. Then sat out admiring the magnificent view till cloud and bit of wind decided us to head down to this village.

After what I saw as a disappointing Puglia - bad roads, dull countryside and unattractive towns, I now feel we are in the Italy that I imagine and expect.

Our itinerary has changed because our friend from Katowice cannot guarantee to be in his Ialian residence as he is 'selling something', so we are even more free to choose our routing - Decisions! Decisions! Might just hang around here?

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back