On the Road Again ! Poland - Slowakia - Austria - Italy - Greece........and back. (12 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Mani Peninsula.

We had touched places in the Mani before but this time we filled-in more bits, including deeper into the 'Deep Mani'

Conclusion is that we were generally disappointed, although there were good spots. It is quite barren, as expected, and there are a lot of Byzantine churches if that is your thing.

Where there is much sign of life it is of the touristy style with beach umbrellas and sunbeds, but not many natural beaches with a family-run taverna, but we did find one very good one, which was just 2km from what I can only describe as a 'French-style beach club', which we scootled away from very quickly.

The huge exodus of people from the Mani is now being replaced by tourism, but in my opinion not the the sort that attracted people to Greece for its natural beauty - sunbeds do not grow naturally like tamarisk trees!

Some of the less attractive places are even having the cheek to charge higher than normal prices - but to us only once.

The best food we had was in a taverna in Kardamyli which was recommended by an English friend who lives in Athens. The food and service was exceptional; they served wine in 1/2lts and the prices were what one expects to pay in Greece - result we stayed another day, another excellent meal.

I doubt we would return to the Mani.

I think our next trip to Greece will include one or two of my favourite islands - ones without charter flights, because I assume flights more recently to Kalamata have changed the tourism on the Peloponnese and Mani in particular.

We have 9 nights ahead of us in W. Peloponnese, which will include 2-3 spots we like and then Patras- Bari for a few weeks in Italy to look forward to, we hope.

Geoff

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hope the weather is holding out Geoff. Tornados in Aldershot yesterday apparently and the forecast for Devon next week where we are moving on to today is awful. šŸ˜

I always liked the quieter islands although we were very fond of North Eastern Corfu. Durrell's Corfu that is.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hope the weather is holding out Geoff. Tornados in Aldershot yesterday apparently and the forecast for Devon next week where we are moving on to today is awful. šŸ˜

I always liked the quieter islands although we were very fond of North Eastern Corfu. Durrell's Corfu that is.
Barry, weather. Is fine - quite a lot of cloud last two weeks but suits us with temps now mid 20s. Only few showers.

Season is over for Greeks but not tourists so according to where we are tavernas may or may not be open, but I have resident cook if neededšŸ˜‚

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
At last we have got away for first time since November last. Trip earlier in year was cancelled because if illness in the family.

We left home in Katowice this morning, crossed into Slowakia and are now parked up in our familiar spot in Trencin by the river and thankfully in the shade.

Dinner on board this evening then off to Austria tomorrow to another favourite spot and a favourite restaurant.

We will post from time to time.

Geoff and Basia
Have a great trip.

Would be nice to have food photos, so we can create a to-do list of restaurants! Nudge, nudge!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back