Need advice with recently purchased 2005 motorhome (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
Hello

Last week we collected our new to us 2005 Ci Cipro Garage Motorhome

As we drove it home the passenger side electric window & mirror stopped working as well as one of the rear indicator.

On the next day I also noticed that the main roof skylight was cracked & a corner missing.

So we contacted the dealer who agreed for us to take it to our local Motorhome repairer to get a quote & hopefully fix all the faults/issues (under the 3 months warranty).

They were happy with the quote provided to repair the window/mirror & indicator but didn’t accept the £900 quote to replace the heki 700x500 skylight.

The garage alighted that the high quote was due to the fact that there’s al lot labouring involved to remove the current one as it’s sealed & then found the entire roof it’s been painted with something they even weren’t sure of what it is exactly (see photos)

The garage has made me worry so much as they stated that it looks like something that is used to repair cracked shower tray & baths and if that’s the case it could be there to mask something underneath 😩😩

Plus they also alighted (I didn’t notice this ) the fact the rear panel it’s swallowed in one area. Not sure what caused this either.

THEIR ADVICE WAS, SINCE I ONLY HAD IT FOR A WWEK TO TAKE IT BACK AND ASKED FOR A FULL REFUND .

Now we knew buying a 18 year Motorhome wouldn’t come in pristine conditions and it would have its own little problems etc but as this is our first van we didn’t really know either what to look out for. That’s why we decided to buy from a dealer rather then private.

Just need some advice from you more expert Motorhome owners.

• Does anyone know what the material used on the roof and why could it be applied ?
  • the back panel, what caused this ?

ALL IN ALL WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

IMG_5203.jpeg IMG_5204.jpeg IMG_5205.jpeg IMG_5206.jpeg IMG_5207.jpeg IMG_5208.jpeg IMG_5209.jpeg IMG_5212.jpeg IMG_5213.jpeg IMG_5226.jpeg IMG_5218.jpeg IMG_5217.jpeg IMG_5216.jpeg IMG_5215.jpeg IMG_5211.jpeg

• HeartHug
Reactions: HKF

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I get that. I just don't agree with kicking someone when they're down. I think this member is feeling bad enough already, that's all :)
I was not kicking anyone while down. If you read my previous reply’s I believe I gave good advice just like I believe my advice on taking someone who know something about vans is good advice to any other new members who may be reading. I always try to give good advice . If people choose to take the advice is another matter 😉

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I was not kicking anyone while down. If you read my previous reply’s I believe I gave good advice just like I believe my advice on taking someone who know something about vans is good advice to any other new members who may be reading. I always try to give good advice . If people choose to take the advice is another matter 😉

I understand and have no objection to that. It was just my personal opinion that the post I referred to sounded a little like 'I told you so'.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
I appreciate all the comments and deff not taking anything personal.

To answer some earlier questions I bought this van from them as it was offered to me off market,

I had a wanted advert on eBay and was contacted by their manager director who saw my advert, saying they just had one in as part ex and if I wanted to have a look at it.

I asked the price etc and it was told they’ll be advertising it at £30K once it’ll be fully prept for the sale.

After few back & forwards messages he agreed they’ll accept £27.5K making me believe that I was getting a good deal & a fair discount on it.

I only saw their Gumtree & EBay advert showing it for sale at £25K only 2 days ago after I’d been in touch with them explaining all the faults & problems the van had (only day after collecting it). I sent them an email yesterday raising this of which I didn’t get an reply or explanation.

Again fair point to those who have suggested I should have checked the van more thoroughly. But like I’ve said before with us being new to the Motorhome ownership we felt it was safe/safer to buy this from a dealer which has 3 different branches all of which have 5 stars reviews.

We thought they’ll be checking & ensuring the vans are sound before passing/selling onto their customers.

Why risk their reputation of all the 3 branches by selling a motorhome in that state ??

Anyway, I’ll be in touch with them on Monday I’ve read the sale contract, it states buyer/s are entitled to refuse the vehicle within 14 days of delivery/collection so will see what happens.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I get that. I just don't agree with kicking someone when they're down. I think this member is feeling bad enough already, that's all :)
I don't think anyone is kicking them ,I'm certainly not. I'm just being realistic.

I've bought my fair share of motors with problems myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Just a couple of thoughts, they will be making a profit of at least £5000 between what you paid and the lowest price offered, so that replacing the Heki could have more or less satisfied you. If ever there is a next time, get a damp check, even if you have to buy your own meter, for the crude way the roof has been dealt with, I am guessing damp has been a problem for some time or a previous owner has bodged the job of stopping leaks. So sorry this has happened to you. The price alone should warrant a better outcome than this. For £27000 you should be able to find far better vans that have been well cared for, cherished and dry, just having a slightly older design.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

To answer some earlier questions I bought this van from them as it was offered to me off market,

I had a wanted advert on eBay and was contacted by their manager director who saw my advert, saying they just had one in as part ex and if I wanted to have a look at it.

I asked the price etc and it was told they’ll be advertising it at £30K once it’ll be fully prept for the sale.

After few back & forwards messages he agreed they’ll accept £27.5K making me believe that I was getting a good deal & a fair discount on it.

I only saw their Gumtree & EBay advert showing it for sale at £25K only 2 days ago after I’d been in touch with them explaining all the faults & problems the van had (only day after collecting it). I sent them an email yesterday raising this of which I didn’t get an reply or explanation.

Again fair point to those who have suggested I should have checked the van more thoroughly. But like I’ve said before with us being new to the Motorhome ownership we felt it was safe/safer to buy this from a dealer which has 3 different branches all of which have 5 stars reviews.

We thought they’ll be checking & ensuring the vans are sound before passing/selling onto their customers.

Why risk their reputation of all the 3 branches by selling a motorhome in that state ??

Anyway, I’ll be in touch with them on Monday I’ve read the sale contract, it states buyer/s are entitled to refuse the vehicle within 14 days of delivery/collection so will see what happens.
Yeah it sounds like they saw you coming and took advantage of your naivety to be honest. I've a massive distrust of dealers to be honest as I believe all are simply in it for the profit very few are actually lifestyle motorhomers/caravanners themselves.

If the sale contract states you have 14 days then you might be lucky. I wish you best of luck. Certainly I'd return it if possible and then find someone knowledgeable to view any future ones with you. I wouldn't entertain anything else from them as they've proved themselves to have no integrity.

That van would never have achieved £30k

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
For £27000 you should be able to find far better vans that have been well cared for, cherished and dry, just having a slightly older design.
My 2006 4 berth Suntor 590 was £22k from a dealer nearly 2 years ago so full Covid prices.
2 owners from new, 5 and 10 years, very good condition, full history, low mileage.
Nearly 2 years of ownership and no problems.
I did thoroughly check the van over before purchase.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Think you've had all the answers.
It's rubberised paint
That back panel looks like delamination prior to the repair being done and it's still not correct.

You won't be able to live with any of these and neither would you want to.

27k !!! I know the market is off the scale but our 2003 CI we had when it was 2 years old was only 20k and the best van we owned despite how shit it was...

If they blatantly refuse you a refund, which I'm sure they will. You've an option to try and resolve it through the courts but I don't fancy your chances..
Or..
Howabout, you offer them to buy it back from you saying its not the life you thought it was.?
Yes you will lose an awful lot and they may only offer you 20k, but a big lesson and I reckon even at 20k you would find a better private sale of an older hyner or similar.

Have to agree with others , at 20k that van is overpriced, at 27k it's a steal in the favour of the dealer.
And
£900 to change a skylight? 3 or 4 hours work tops plus the skylight. But, I think they may fear like the rest of us, what's underneath it when they start taking it out.

Good luck and please make sure you let us all know the outcome.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Did you do an HPI (most important) and MOT check?

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Dear @ltaMotohomer.
If I may suggest, perhaps a little delving into who owns Rove Motorhomes and their business operating addresses.
Don't just take ebays photos and info for granted.
The Mansfield trading address is certainly " interesting".
Good luck Sir.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
Dear @ltaMotohomer.
If I may suggest, perhaps a little delving into who owns Rove Motorhomes and their business operating addresses.
Good luck Sir.
Could you elaborate/explain a bit more please ?

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Dear @ltaMotohomer.
Good luck Sir.
I don't think it would matter now as he's already bought it and taken delivery. From Mansfield so I'm assuming the vans are there at that yard.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I don't think it would matter now as he's already bought it and taken delivery. From Mansfield so I'm assuming the vans are there at that yard.
Possibly, but it's just the way these people operate that upsets me.
And especially on a potentially unsuspecting customer.
Did some research some time ago on various interlinked " sales" services, and some interesting stuff came up.
We didn't pursue a purchase from any of who I researched, and bought privately.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
From Rove’s web site, ®rove! Registered trademark UK00003877344. Copyright 2023 © JNA VENTURES LIMITED. All rights reserved. rove! is a trading name of JNA VENTURES LTD, Mansfield I Centre Oakham Business Centre, Hamilton Way, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England, NG18 5BR Company number 13987779

You can look up the company details at Companies House

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Which dealer is that in Mansfield, if I may ask please.
Ignore that. Saw later in a further post.
I live near Mansfield and I have never heard of them.
I have had our van for over 5 years, and spent 2 years searching before that, and am looking to change our van so am constantly looking.
And still, I have never seen or heard of them, as a local.
I know you've done a bit of digging since but this was where Motorhome Depot was based (which I think was a franchise?), the Selston site is the old Selston Caravans & the Lowdham one is more or less next door to Fullers MH Dealer.

ItaMotorhomer I live locally too & haven't been aware of this company. I wish you all the best, a call to Citizens Advice might be worth trying?

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
From Rove’s web site, ®rove! Registered trademark UK00003877344. Copyright 2023 © JNA VENTURES LIMITED. All rights reserved. rove! is a trading name of JNA VENTURES LTD, Mansfield I Centre Oakham Business Centre, Hamilton Way, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England, NG18 5BR Company number 13987779

You can look up the company details at Companies House

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company
Correct.
And who else has/ does trade from that address, now or previously?.
I know you've done a bit of digging since but this was where Motorhome Depot was based (which I think was a franchise?), the Selston site is the old Selston Caravans & the Lowdham one is more or less next door to Fullers MH Dealer.

ItaMotorhomer I live locally too & haven't been aware of this company. I wish you all the best, a call to Citizens Advice might be worth trying?
Very good advice, in my opinion .
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Possibly, but it's just the way these people operate that upsets me.
And especially on a potentially unsuspecting customer.
Did some research some time ago on various interlinked " sales" services, and some interesting stuff came up.
We didn't pursue a purchase from any of who I researched, and bought privately.
Yep the way they did that sale was totally taking advantage morally at least.

But I would always buy private myself. Don't trust dealers. And I'd never buy new even if money was no object

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
The roof looks like it's been coated with a rubberised coating they use on RV's. Also looks recently done so it may have had a leaking roof.
I think the inside needs carefully checking for damp.

Providing the rear panel is not delaminating it's probably not a problem.

The roof would be enough for me to take it back for a refund.
My advise is take it back and get a refund, this maybe an unpleasant transaction to gain the refund.

For £27,000 you can get some great MH's that you will really enjoy using.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Aug 9, 2023
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
It's a very hard lesson but at this stage in your motorhoming career I would go back to the dealer and try to exercise your 14day return as per contract.
It might work.
I suspect that the roof painting is to hide many sins. Is there any smell inside?
If your a handy person it's probably not irretrievable but it will be a lot of work and as I said on another topic "I shouldn't start from here"!
Good luck, be polite but firm
Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back