Nationwide FlexPlus Travel Insurance (10 Viewers)

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
My blood pressure condition is declared, no extra charge and never has been.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Worth checking the small print as when I was using NW Flex plus a few years ago I was OK on two medications but once I went to three there was an additional charge. But it may not be the same now nor may it be with Aviva. (y)
Before going to NW a year ago I was trawling for quotes and while I was on three inhalers for asthma and borderline COPD these were the quotes I was getting. As I rarely took the third inhaler I dropped it with the approval of my asthma nurse.

I've snipped it as best I can but this was GoodToGo's quote.

1710175926051.png

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We were thinking of going over to Nationwide and unfortunately they will not cover me with their current medical insurer and I suspect it will be the same with Aviva.
A blood test years showed I have a condition called CLL.
I take no medication for it and I have a blood test once a year to monitor it. My GP said my levels are actually improving each year.
Furthermore I went through all the small print and the cover is for a total of 6 months out of the UK in a year.
That’s not something I’ve heard anyone else mention.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We were thinking of going over to Nationwide and unfortunately they will not cover me with their current medical insurer and I suspect it will be the same with Aviva.
A blood test years showed I have a condition called CLL.
I take no medication for it and I have a blood test once a year to monitor it. My GP said my levels are actually improving each year.
Furthermore I went through all the small print and the cover is for a total of 6 months out of the UK in a year.
That’s not something I’ve heard anyone else mention.
Our insurance with Lloyds bank is similar in that in the small print you’re only covered for a maximum of 6 months out of the UK each year . You must also be registered with a UK GP. I expect all the packaged Bank/Building society accounts are the same .

I’m not sure about the stand alone annual multi trip travel insurance policies as we’ve had our Lloyds one for so long now. Way before we ever retired when long holidays were just a dream.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Spoke to a UK insurance representative, who assured me under the terms of Nationwide travel insurance, I am covered with them until next year. Therefore, why would I not trust them, they have accepted my money for cover. If I am not then cowered, that would be fraud.
It was just from my experience running a fleet of trucks a car in the past that I always get things in writing, he said this he said that and no proof who said what.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
As I understand it, you should declare all on going problems ( if you haven't done so) declare all prescription stuff, declare if you have consultancy appointments, and any procedures that are booked, we regularly update our health insurance as and when , as I get older the list gets longer !! If you don't bother they can and will get ot of paying 😀

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
I just updated ours with the new providers and paid more as I have type 1 diabetes such as already declared and was previously free as a single condition.

Now now been prescribed statins ( even though my cholesterol is not high) so thought as they have been prescribed even if I don’t take them I need to tell them to remove any wriggle room for a claim

£28 until October export of current extension for diabetes expires

Daniel

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Anyone any experience relating to Statins?
In April last year we paid £215 for the over 70 cost for both of us, asthma, COPD, acid reflux and raised, not high, cholestorol for me including the extra £40 to boost our cruise cover. In October I thought it wise to add Mrs B's raised cholestorol and acid refux which cost £28.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
We have switched to Nationwide FlexPlus today from our Flex account to get the benefits of mobile phone cover, foreign transaction free card usage, and UK/European breakdown cover.

When you switch you get the option to not take travel insurance. If the cover doesn't suit it's easy to not take it if you have pre existing conditions and have found better value cover elsewhere eg Red Pennant.

I mention this because of previous mention on here of having dual cover being not allowed. (In fact it's dual claims that are not allowed).

But this allows for the avoidance of doubt. It costs the same though which is £13pcm, you just declare you don't need it when you apply.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We have switched to Nationwide FlexPlus today from our Flex account to get the benefits of mobile phone cover, foreign transaction free card usage, and UK/European breakdown cover.

When you switch you get the option to not take travel insurance. If the cover doesn't suit it's easy to not take it if you have pre existing conditions and have found better value cover elsewhere eg Red Pennant.

I mention this because of previous mention on here of having dual cover being not allowed. (In fact it's dual claims that are not allowed).

But this allows for the avoidance of doubt. It costs the same though which is £13pcm, you just declare you don't need it when you apply.
If there is no discount for not taking the travel insurance, why would you elect to declare you don't need it?

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
If there is no discount for not taking the travel insurance, why would you elect to declare you don't need it?

If you read my post again you will see that it clears any doubt about having any issues with having double cover.

There has been a suggestion previously made on here that this is somehow 'not allowed'. Whilst in fact you can have double cover as long as you don't double claim, the option to remove NW travel insurance avoids any doubt. Hence my post.

We've obtained travel insurance cover elsewhere so don't need the cover provided by Nationwide. Our previous experience with Nationwide and how much they charged for multiple pre existing health conditions was not a positive one.

As for cost, well at £13 pcm, it's still incredible value considering I get UK and European breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance and fee free foreign transactions.

It works out as roughly the same as the cost of cover Red Pennant wanted simply to cover my car for just four weeks in Spain (£167)

The UK breakdown cover I no longer need cost around £110

We, untill today didn't have any mobile phone insurance.

HTH.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We have travel insurance as part of or Barclays Bank accounts. You have to declare all medical issues before travel, including doctors visits in the last 3 months. I have 5 prescriptions relating to heart condition and my wife has 2 for blood pressure. All have been accepted without any extra cost. You also have to have a return ticket booked for each journey. All still good value at around £15 per month for the 2 of us, including UK and European breakdown.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you read my post again you will see that it clears any doubt about having any issues with having double cover.

There has been a suggestion previously made on here that this is somehow 'not allowed'. Whilst in fact you can have double cover as long as you don't double claim, the option to remove NW travel insurance avoids any doubt. Hence my post.

We've obtained travel insurance cover elsewhere so don't need the cover provided by Nationwide. Our previous experience with Nationwide and how much they charged for multiple pre existing health conditions was not a positive one.

As for cost, well at £13 pcm, it's still incredible value considering I get UK and European breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance and fee free foreign transactions.

It works out as roughly the same as the cost of cover Red Pennant wanted simply to cover my car for just four weeks in Spain (£167)

The UK breakdown cover I no longer need cost around £110

We, untill today didn't have any mobile phone insurance.

HTH.
Thankyou, that’s really useful. I tried to get clarification on that by phoning them about 18 months ago before we were going to Turkey and Cyprus and they couldn’t really give me a clear answer. We ended up going with Green Flag and hoping for the best. We’re now back with Comfort but may well open the account at our next changeover.

We have an old Premier account with Lloyds which has few medical exclusions, covers multiple trips of 62 days worldwide up to the age of 80 that we are hoping they don’t suddenly close.

Reactions: JRT
Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
Hmmm, I've just read through the revised policy document and as stated by Vansflyer above, the extended trip upgrade is significantly different and this was the main reason I opened my Flexplus account. Nowhere near as attractive an option when the change takes place. Going to have to seen what the cost of each individual extended trip upgrade is. At a guess I'd say it'll be a lot more than the present setup!!
Hi just had a quote from nationwide Aviva for 90 day extension £889 last year with nationwide old insurance it was £129.if that is the case it will be goodby Nationwide.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Hi just had a quote from nationwide Aviva for 90 day extension £889 last year with nationwide old insurance it was £129.if that is the case it will be goodby Nationwide.
Didn't think they took over until the 1st of May. When I logged in yesterday it was still with UK insurance. I am going to extend my extension cover with them later this week.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I would be making a serious complaint to Nationwide if I get a quote like that when I apply.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No

How does that work?
Aviva starts May 1st. How can they give a quote before they have taken over.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
As has been said how can that be if UK Insurance are still the Nationwide provider? Did you go direct to Aviva Travel Insurance?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My next trip is 14 th May but still under old conditions. BUSBY.
Interesting to find out when they will draw the line.

Are they saying if booked prior to 1st we cover until then but if your departing after the 1st the new company accepts responsibility from then

Ie cancel up to midnight on 30th April company 1 pays after midnight company 2 pays?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've said this before, probably on this thread, that I've renewed my medical add ons with UK Insurance recently as I have trips booked for August and January, they will continue the cover until April next year.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think it will change when you renew your policy..BUSBY.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Think it will change when you renew your policy..BUSBY.

Yes, but only after 1st May. I renewed my Nationwide travel insurance with U.K. Insurance earlier this month (2nd April) and it runs for 12 months from that date. As per Bailey58 it was a reasonable cost similar to last year.

How was the £889 quote from Aviva obtained as they’ve not yet taken over?

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
As my upgrades with UK Insurance expire beginning of May, I had a letter from Aviva last week with details of what to do if I needed extensions with them. It details how to set up through their portal, from there, they quote for upgrades. No problems getting set up, age limit removed, apart from the medical upgrades that are annual, all other upgrades on a tip by trip basis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back