Nationwide FlexPlus Travel Insurance (6 Viewers)

Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
A heads up for those who have a Nationwide FlexPlus account. From the 1st May the insures will be changing to Aviva.
Here is the link

The good news for me is over 70s will be covered as standard.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
A heads up for those who have a Nationwide FlexPlus account. From the 1st May the insures will be changing to Aviva.
Here is the link
[URL
20240115_192615.jpg
unfurl="true"]https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/travel-insurance-changes/[/URL]

Thanks for the heads up.

A quick scan shows not covered for trips over 31 days unless extended the cover for each trip and booked a return date.
Now that could be a problem for us moho people in that we may go away for more than 31 days a few times a year and moreover we never set a definitive date for our return. We wait till we have had enough, the weather is crap or 90 days is going to expire.
Oh dear Nationwide, not good.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Hmmm, I've just read through the revised policy document and as stated by Vansflyer above, the extended trip upgrade is significantly different and this was the main reason I opened my Flexplus account. Nowhere near as attractive an option when the change takes place. Going to have to seen what the cost of each individual extended trip upgrade is. At a guess I'd say it'll be a lot more than the present setup!!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the heads up.

A quick scan shows not covered for trips over 31 days unless extended the cover for each trip and booked a return date.
Now that could be a problem for us moho people in that we may go away for more than 31 days a few times a year and moreover we never set a definitive date for our return. We wait till we have had enough, the weather is crap or 90 days is going to expire.

We have the equivalent policy with the RBS and I don’t think that either of those restrictions apply.

Our 90 day extension isn’t for a specific trip, it applies for the duration of the policy.

Ian

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Aviva are a great company. We had dealings through HSBC bank and Covid before covid was a big issue. Aviva was their policyholder and they were exemplary with us.
We have been with nationwide since HSBC stopped cover for over 70s..
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks for the heads up.

Now that could be a problem for us moho people in that we may go away for more than 31 days a few times a year and moreover we never set a definitive date for our return. We wait till we have had enough, the weather is crap or 90 days is going to
Just book a return and then change it when you decide..BUSBY

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We have the equivalent policy with the RBS and I don’t think that either of those restrictions apply.

Our 90 day extension isn’t for a specific trip, it applies for the duration of the policy.

Ian
Same here its 90 day multitrip.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hmmm, I've just read through the revised policy document and as stated by Vansflyer above, the extended trip upgrade is significantly different and this was the main reason I opened my Flexplus account. Nowhere near as attractive an option when the change takes place. Going to have to seen what the cost of each individual extended trip upgrade is. At a guess I'd say it'll be a lot more than the present setup!!
Thought all trips over 31 days had to be paid for if not declared..We actually pay for 83 day multitrip..BUSBY.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Thought all trips over 31 days had to be paid for if not declared..We actually pay for 83 day multitrip..BUSBY.
The current annual extended trip upgrade is paid once a year and as a result we can presently do up to 90 days per trip, as many times as we can fit it in. One payment - multiple trips. The new terms mean you have to declare every trip individually with departure and return dates, and presumably pay for extensions for each trip over 31 days (all our trips!) which we don't have to do at the moment. It's a very significant change in terms for longer trips

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Just to clarify, 90 days is our selected extension. You can presently specify the length of the extension and they give (gave) you a price on that basis.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Aviva used to cover Lloyds, there were far fewer medical exclusions than the Nationwide underwriter so you may find that helps compensate on the cost front. They covered things like hypertension, raised cholesterol, thyroid problems without any fee,

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I’ve been with nationwide for 44 years.

I have always had their flex account plus from when it started.

When I had my heart bypass last year, they stopped cover for me for any conditions related to that health issue.

I had to take out cover with a separate company for a 71 day trip last year. Now I’ve just taken out an annual worldwide cover with that company, but it’s limited to 31 days.

I think I need to find a company that will cover me for trips up-to 90 days on an annual policy.

Any suggestions ?

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hmmm
The old policy covered motorcycle holidays if it was your bike ridden from home, but excluded hire bikes >125cc.
New policy does not seem to have any motorcycle exclusion unless I've missed it?

Also no cover hazardous sports, which we always upgraded.

Always been happy with old cover :( One claim, hassle free, and they even covered us driving a tuktuk (aka auto rickshaw) 1200km across southern india without charge.

No perfect cover is there?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I hope Aviva are as good as UK Insurance, we've made a couple of claims, one a cancelled holiday, others for medical expenses after an accident in Belgium.

Payment was pretty much immediate, with minimum proof from us.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We're on a cruise in April and arrive home just before the UK Travel Insurance upgrades expire (over 70, medical etc.) I called them this morning on a general query and it seems if we renew mid April the cover stays with them until the same time next year. While we pay for over age 70 with UK, which is included with Aviva, the guy thought there was an age limit of 80. I can't see anything on Aviva's Nationwide Q&A but a google search brings up this.

If you want single trip travel insurance and you are ages 80 or over or want annual travel insurance and are ages 75 or over, you should contact our business partner - All Clear Travel Insurance Services - on 01708 339028 for a quote.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Us to, our last trip was for 109 days. This summer I will want cover for 88 days and have already booked a return ferry. I could change that return date if needed and still have cover. I did not see the term multi trip on the new policy though.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Us to, our last trip was for 109 days. This summer I will want cover for 88 days and have already booked a return ferry. I could change that return date if needed and still have cover. I did not see the term multi trip on the new policy though.
Think you have to notify them for each trip
.BUSBY

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Think you have to notify them for each trip
.BUSBY
Perhaps! This year, will be our only trip, 88 days and what I meant was we will get the cover for this trip but could cut it short once started, return earlier than planned and still have cover. I did read a clause in this new policy that said up to 120 days cover could be purchased and I'm thinking the muti-trip has gone and you can get cover for up to 120 days per year, unless you pay for anouther trip cover, over and above what you have already purchased. I will know for sure begining of May as my existing cover runs out towards end of June and I'm informed Aviva will contact me at this time (May) to discuss next period of cover, medical screening updates etc., etc,.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Perhaps! This year, will be our only trip, 88 days and what I meant was we will get the cover for this trip but could cut it short once started, return earlier than planned and still have cover. I did read a clause in this new policy that said up to 120 days cover could be purchased and I'm thinking the muti-trip has gone and you can get cover for up to 120 days per year, unless you pay for anouther trip cover, over and above what you have already purchased. I will know for sure begining of May as my existing cover runs out towards end of June and I'm informed Aviva will contact me at this time (May) to discuss next period of cover, medical screening updates etc., etc,.
Same here..Will ask them when I renew..BUSBY

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you have any preexisting conditions/ medications you will need to inform Aviva at time of changeover according to the bumf.

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
Interesting, as my wife is currently in Atrial Fibrillation and awaiting a Cardioversion (basically a defibrillator used to shock her heart back into normal rhythm) UK insurance wouldn't cover her - I wonder if Aviva will?

Feb 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
Re Flex plus

In 2017 just before moho purchase had a wheel come off our caravan. Flex plus had it sent back to blighty to our designated garage for repair. Also paid for a vehicle to drive home in and hotels ...

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Here is the link

Does that mean no extra premium for over 70 age ? as before

Oct 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Globe car
Exp
Since 2009
We're on a cruise in April and arrive home just before the UK Travel Insurance upgrades expire (over 70, medical etc.) I called them this morning on a general query and it seems if we renew mid April the cover stays with them until the same time next year. While we pay for over age 70 with UK, which is included with Aviva, the guy thought there was an age limit of 80. I can't see anything on Aviva's Nationwide Q&A but a google search brings up this.

If you want single trip travel insurance and you are ages 80 or over or want annual travel insurance and are ages 75 or over, you should contact our business partner - All Clear Travel Insurance Services - on 01708 339028 for a quote.
I have a rare blood cancer and Nationwide would not cover me but Allclear has and for all my conditions. Before the diagnosis Nationwide was charging me £100 less than I'm paying now.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Interesting, as my wife is currently in Atrial Fibrillation and awaiting a Cardioversion (basically a defibrillator used to shock her heart back into normal rhythm) UK insurance wouldn't cover her - I wonder if Aviva will?
Just to put some peoples minds at rest re pre and existing medical conditions.

Mrs Emmit was diagnosed with Lymphoma in 2022.
When renewing our NW Flex Travel Insurance in early 2023, we were told that UK Insurance
would not cover her should a reoccurence of the malady occur. That put her in the same position
as TwistNShout's wife, (above)

Cut to this years renewal.

They have removed the restriction on her cover for Lymphoma because, "It has been more than 12 months
since you were given the 'remission' date for your Lymphoma"

So, coming out of that as it applies to Mrs Twistnshout, she might find that, whilst she will not be covered for
illnesses and events arising out of her Cardioinversion right now, in a years time, she might find that as far as she
is concerned, she becomes an 'acceptable' customer once more.

As a Postcript Mrs Emmit's contribution to the Annual payment of the NW Insurance is £64, this AFTER
having NH Lymphoma.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back