Nationwide FlexPlus Travel Insurance (12 Viewers)

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
How would they know what clothing you have on if you have an accident abroad??Ring the doctor that treats you and ask?BUSBY.

Indeed, if you come off a motorcycle wearing shorts and a t shirt you are very likely to lose significant amounts of skin and potentially muscle too. You are also likely to have bits of gravel and road surface embedded in surface tissue.

The injuries in such an accident are classic and well documented. If the insurer is enquiring enough they will be able to ascertain via. medical reports whether injuries were consistent with the type of clothing being worn at the time of the accident.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I’m sort of in the same boat. Our current Nationwide age and trip extensions expire on 2nd April, two days before we return to Blighty. I contacted their current provider UK Insurance to ask about extending the cover and was informed that I could only renew it for a full 12 months and that could only be done within 30 days of the expiry.

I now have the predicament of either taking a chance and letting it expire - our next trip is after the changeover to Aviva - or renewing for the full 12 months and gambling that the saving on the age extension wouldn’t have covered our other planned journey extensions required for the next 12 months. Decisions, decisions. :unsure:
Mine expires just after we get back from the cruise in April and, despite the over 70 extra payment with UKI, I'll renew as we have a trip to India booked for January and I'm thinking better the devil etc.

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
If you are going for more than 31 days should have paid the option to extend the trip time same as you would have the old policy.
Hi Lenny, Are you replying to a different thread, I asked why you have to have a return ticket booked when you have paid for multi trip extention.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny, Are you replying to a different thread, I asked why you have to have a return ticket booked when you have paid for multi trip extention.
No I don't think so, you pay for a multi trip extention but each trip you have to have a return booked.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I've tried to follow this thread as I'm.thinking of moving to nationwide.

I'm confused 😕 and that's without the .com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007

I think we’re all a little confused atm. We’re existing customers and the changes are difficult to work out. Thanks to contributors here I have a better (longer) list of questions. Thanks Funsters

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Nanniemate kev54 I think nationwide are confused, I used the feedback option on the banking web page. I got an answer but not to the question I asked. I replied asking why they had made the travel insurance a worse option, they thanked me for my feedback

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Mine expires just after we get back from the cruise in April and, despite the over 70 extra payment with UKI, I'll renew as we have a trip to India booked for January and I'm thinking better the devil etc.

I think I’ll also plump for renewal of the existing UKI policy as well due to the lack of information about the costs of each extended trip under Aviva.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think we’re all a little confused atm. We’re existing customers and the changes are difficult to work out. Thanks to contributors here I have a better (longer) list of questions. Thanks Funsters
Bit like when they changed Breakdown supplier..bit of confusion for first couple of months..BUSBY.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp

I think I’ll also plump for renewal of the existing UKI policy as well due to the lack of information about the costs of each extended trip under Aviva.

Just perused the ‘Invitation to Renew’ documents from UKI and the annual policy renewal is £152.84 compared to £137.00 last year. It comprises £65 for the age extension and £87.84 for the (multi) trip extension of up to 60 days per trip. As we have the potential 2-3 days not covered at the end of this trip, (and anything could happen then!), plus at least 3 further 31 day + trips this year, I’ll go with it.

Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
A heads up for those who have a Nationwide FlexPlus account. From the 1st May the insures will be changing to Aviva.
Here is the link

The good news for me is over 70s will be covered as standard.
Very useful information thanks

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Indeed, if you come off a motorcycle wearing shorts and a t shirt you are very likely to lose significant amounts of skin and potentially muscle too. You are also likely to have bits of gravel and road surface embedded in surface tissue.
I was in hospital for 3 weeks next to guy late 20's who had come off his motorbike in town - gone to get a sandwich without wearing his biking gear. He'd been there 6 months - Extensive leg, arm, hands and face donor and receiving graft areas infected. Both heavily bandaged legs and one arm hoisted up. Desperate wife and two young kids visited evenings. He was a self-employed plasterer, no income and about to lose their rented flat. He was damn near suicidal.
I used to sit and chat with him but no-one who had seen and spoken with him would ever ride without proper gear.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We are with Barclays which is with Aviva, allowed 31days per trip, to extend to 62 days we had to pay £275 on top of monthly payments I said we are already covered for 31 days as I pay monthly , they said as it is a extended risk that's the extra cost, yet if we came back for 1 day and went back to same place next day for 31 days we would pay nothing or. 2x31 days !! darn swindle I think

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
As the change over takes place on May 1st and we go away prior to this date, we are covered by the previous insurer. They have have ensured us, we will be covered by them for the duration of our holiday. Therefore, the change for us will take place next year.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
As the change over takes place on May 1st and we go away prior to this date, we are covered by the previous insurer. They have have ensured us, we will be covered by them for the duration of our holiday. Therefore, the change for us will take place next year.
Hope you have it in writing or email, don't just trust what someone said on end of phone if I were you

Jun 6, 2015
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Accordo105
Exp
Since 2007
Equally you are free to travel on their insurance without accepting the medical add ons, particularly if like us, they are unlikely to cause a medical event on holiday.
I'm not sure about that, the paper seems to suggest you must accept ALL sections of the policy, and that includes Travel Insurance, and of course if you do not take their medical screening you may not be covered for any aspect of the Aviva cover. I await the full T&C's

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm not sure about that, the paper seems to suggest you must accept ALL sections of the policy, and that includes Travel Insurance, and of course if you do not take their medical screening you may not be covered for any aspect of the Aviva cover. I await the full T&C's
What paper is that? The T&C specifically state that if you don't tell them about a medical condition you, and anyone else insured by this policy, will not be covered for any claim connected to your medical condition. It makes no mention of having any affect on the basic cover or on other areas of the policy which are covered automatically unless you wish to buy upgrades for various sections, cruise, extended trips etc. as I have done.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Is travel insurance worth it. Been travelling for 40 years. Had insurance most of the time. Never had a claim.
Same with my car insurance..not had a claim for 40 years BUT had a £27000 claim on my motorhome insurance..and to think repatriation for medical reasons can cost more than that..I don't gamble for saving a few quid.BUSBY.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Same with my car insurance..not had a claim for 40 years BUT had a £27000 claim on my motorhome insurance..and to think repatriation for medical reasons can cost more than that..I don't gamble for saving a few quid.BUSBY.
Nor us, as I sit here in Spain taking paracetamol and codene for back pain😄

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Is travel insurance worth it. Been travelling for 40 years. Had insurance most of the time. Never had a claim.
That's how insurance works :rolleyes: most folk never have to claim.
Only had one claim. Sum claimed and paid was far more than I have paid out in premiums.
Is insurance worth it? is down to the individual at the end of the day. I have never insured white goods etc but if one goes bang out of warranty I am in a position to go and buy a replacement.
I have house insurance as I'm not in a position to replace that if something catastrophic happened to it. I was going to say I have never claimed on that but I did have one about thirty years ago.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Nor us, as I sit here in Spain taking paracetamol and codene for back pain😄
Get yourself to the chemist and get 'ibuprofino' 400mgs.(every 4hrs) with food.
You can take that as well as the Para's and codeine. It makes a difference.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Just perused the ‘Invitation to Renew’ documents from UKI and the annual policy renewal is £152.84 compared to £137.00 last year. It comprises £65 for the age extension and £87.84 for the (multi) trip extension of up to 60 days per trip. As we have the potential 2-3 days not covered at the end of this trip, (and anything could happen then!), plus at least 3 further 31 day + trips this year, I’ll go with it.

We are with Barclays which is with Aviva, allowed 31days per trip, to extend to 62 days we had to pay £275 on top of monthly payments I said we are already covered for 31 days as I pay monthly , they said as it is a extended risk that's the extra cost, yet if we came back for 1 day and went back to same place next day for 31 days we would pay nothing or. 2x31 days !! darn swindle I think

Thanks for the info. I possibly made the right decision to renew with the current Nationwide insurer UKI then!

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Hope you have it in writing or email, don't just trust what someone said on end of phone if I were you
Spoke to a UK insurance representative, who assured me under the terms of Nationwide travel insurance, I am covered with them until next year. Therefore, why would I not trust them, they have accepted my money for cover. If I am not then cowered, that would be fraud.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Nothing to be confused by. Nationwide is excellent and good value cover. £13 per month for travel insurance (all your family) breakdown cover (for any car/motorhome you drive) and your mobile phones.

Like any insurance broker they use an insurance company to underwrite their policy. The company they are using is changing on May 1st from UK insurance to Aviva. Inevitably some small changes to terms and conditions have resulted.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Thanks for the info. I possibly made the right decision to renew with the current Nationwide insurer UKI then!

This policy has always been the case and in standard on all travel insurance. Most policies limit you to 31 days per trip. Yes, if you come home for a day then go away again it counts as a new trip. I guess you need to see that as a way of tricking the system. If you stay out you need to extend your trip. (House insurance is similar - you are limited on days you can leave your house empty. Pop in for 1 day and that period will reset)

You can buy a policy that covers you for 62 days but it is more expensive, 90 days also but again more expensive.

That's they way it works. Nationwide is no different.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp

I think the point was that if you have a condition that you don't declare then you just won't be covered for anything relating to that condition.

My wife takes tablets for blood pressure but has not declared it. If she has a hospital visit related to that she will not be covered.

However, if she breaks her arm she is still covered as it is unrelated. Well, the insurance company could use the blood pressure as a get out as but they are unlikely to find out. It's a risk you take I guess.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
A blood pressure condition has to be declared, although controlled by tablets, there is no extra charge for this.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
A blood pressure condition has to be declared, although controlled by tablets, there is no extra charge for this.

Worth checking the small print as when I was using NW Flex plus a few years ago I was OK on two medications but once I went to three there was an additional charge. But it may not be the same now nor may it be with Aviva. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back