Nationwide Flex Plus - Breakdown Cover - Be Aware !

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Update.

The AA have refused to cover the cost of the recovery. I went back to Nationwide and pointed out that my contract is with them and not the AA. the AA are a service provided to Nationwide as part if the flex plus contract .
Nationwide have basically said its my issue with the AA, not happy, so rang the Financial Ombudsman and they are interested in taking the case on.
I'm down £660..

Shiftzz he/miserable git

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Update.

The AA have refused to cover the cost of the recovery. I went back to Nationwide and pointed out that my contract is with them and not the AA. the AA are a service provided to Nationwide as part if the flex plus contract .
Nationwide have basically said its my issue with the AA, not happy, so rang the Financial Ombudsman and they are interested in taking the case on.
I'm down £660..

Shiftzz he/miserable git
Update to what?

I can’t see any earlier post on the thread you are referring to?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Update to what?

I can’t see any earlier post on the thread you are referring to?
Van was at SAP having air suspension, Hydraulic rams put on, the gearbox leaked and the slave cylinder failed. AA refused to recover, cost me £660.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Were the defects discovered at their premises or was it a breakdown on the road?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Slightly off topic BUT may be of importance to large families:

I organised a booze cruise for my colleagues to France using the school minibus. After a lovely meal in Boulogne and purchasing appropriate quantities of booze at Auchan, we set off back to Calais. Unfortunately the engine packed in on the motorway. Fortunately my toolbox, which everyone mocked when I brought it onboard, proved up to the job and I got us back to Dover, although we all had to push it up the ramp off the ship and Customs just waved us through with smoke belching and the engine rattling like crazy.

I found a phone, rang AA with whom we had corporate membership, to be told that they only "rescue" 5 passengers. I argued that this was a school minibus with seats for 16 and could easily be carrying a rugby team plus one teacher: who was supposed to look after the kids? NOT INTERESTED: NO DEAL.
So I rang RAC with whom I had personal breakdown and they weren't interested neither: 1am on a cold Dover dockside and the enjoyment of the day was wearing off! Eventually AA offered us a "works" transit from someone employed on the docks and the minibus would be relayed to Norfolk, with the Transit forming the return load. "You will have to put your own fuel in the Transit": not a problem! We made it home at 6am: thank goodness it was Sunday rather than Monday: explaining the problem to the Headmaster was bad enough without having to tell him that 10 teachers were not fit for work that day.

HOWEVER: find out if your rescue service has a maximum number of people who it will pick up!

We had a similar problem when my Renault Trafic shed a drive shaft in Thetford forest at 10pm. A low-loader turned up to take it to the garage but couldn't accommodate my wife and I plus 4 kids. Eventually they provided another van to take half of us back home BUT it's no fun being in that situation.

Gordon

(I appreciate that the vast majority of Funsters will not have this as a problem, but there may be some.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Were the defects discovered at their premises or was it a breakdown on the road?
Not a defect, the clutch had been repaired some 4 months before. not on the road, it was outside SAP, the AA suggested that the van was in a garage being repaired, NOT SO, that was one excuse, the second that it was not roadside. That begs the question.. If you were at a campsite and the van broke down, that would or could be classed as not road side,

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Sadly, not roadside!

Approx 15 ago I had to pay over £100 to get a car lifted out of a ditch, after sliding off the road. Once on tarmac, the rest of the recovery was "free".

Gordon

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Thames Transit
I broke down in UK at 10.20pm the AA & their cowboy associates were USELESS l WAS LEFT STRANDED. Flexplus previous vehicle recovery used to be terrific. The AA aren't, don't rely on them to help you.
I am nearly 80 & left to my own devices in unlit dangerous area. Forget all their useless & untrue excuses, you cannot rely on them for the service you pay for.

Likes collected
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I broke down in UK at 10.20pm the AA & their cowboy associates were USELESS l WAS LEFT STRANDED. Flexplus previous vehicle recovery used to be terrific. The AA aren't, don't rely on them to help you.
I am nearly 80 & left to my own devices in unlit dangerous area. Forget all their useless & untrue excuses, you cannot rely on them for the service you pay for.
Have you reported this to Nationwide and the AA and what was their response? Useless beefing here, IMHO if you have not contacted them.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Thames Transit
I know exactly what l am doing.
( Compensation offered by AA etc)
Mine is a warning to others not to expect assistance when they most need it.

Likes collected
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I know exactly what l am doing.
( Compensation offered by AA etc)
Mine is a warning to others not to expect assistance when they most need it.
Yes, I have read these warnings and had the AA come to me with a situation with mine going into limp mode which seemed to clear itself. I would concur that the previous company were much more on the ball.

Andy-B

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E464
Exp
Since 2019
I ditched the AA after reading their terms. My motor home wouldn't be covered because of the height.
We cover cars, light vans, campervans, motor caravans, minibuses, caravans, trailers and motorcycles (over 200cc) provided they meet the following restrictions:

• Maximum vehicle weight: 3.5 tonnes (3500 kgs) gross vehicle laden weight
  • Maximum vehicle length: 7m (23 ft)
  • Maximum vehicle width: 2.3m (7ft 6in)
  • Maximum vehicle height: 3m (9ft 10in)
Vehicles must:

• Have a current MOT certificate (if required)
  • Be taxed (not SORNed)
  • Have valid insurance for driving overseas
  • Be used for private purposes only

Andy

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I would tell recovery it’s my bit on the side and my named driver/partner is at home!
I don’t think they would check ID
Who's name is on the ferry tickets you MAY find they have access

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I ditched the AA after reading their terms. My motor home wouldn't be covered because of the height.
We cover cars, light vans, campervans, motor caravans, minibuses, caravans, trailers and motorcycles (over 200cc) provided they meet the following restrictions:

• Maximum vehicle weight: 3.5 tonnes (3500 kgs) gross vehicle laden weight
  • Maximum vehicle length: 7m (23 ft)
  • Maximum vehicle width: 2.3m (7ft 6in)
  • Maximum vehicle height: 3m (9ft 10in)
Vehicles must:

• Have a current MOT certificate (if required)
  • Be taxed (not SORNed)
  • Have valid insurance for driving overseas
  • Be used for private purposes only

Andy
Those terms appear to be the old ones. Maximum length is 8 metres and no mention of height.

Andy-B

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E464
Exp
Since 2019
Those terms appear to be the old ones. Maximum length is 8 metres and no mention of height.
Lifted direct from the AA website this morning..

Andy

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Lifted direct from the AA website this morning..

Andy

but, if I remember correctly, this has come up before and it was pointed out that the contract that NW has with the AA, has different term than just being an AA member and the NW terms reflect those of the previous service provider?

Andy-B

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E464
Exp
Since 2019
but, if I remember correctly, this has come up before and it was pointed out that the contract that NW has with the AA has different term than just being an AA member and the NW terms reflect those of the previous service provider?
I am talking about the AA not nationwide. I also can't see why the AA would suddenly be able to recover larger/heavier vehicles just because it is nationwide?
My original motorhome had been up plated to more than 3.5 ton so they wouldn't recover me in the UK either.
My current one is too tall.
I went with with the CAMC green flag for UK - much cheaper.

Andy

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic
Current conditions:
Screenshot_2022-10-10-08-20-00-200_com.microsoft.office.officehubrow~2.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-10-08-19-45-386_com.microsoft.office.officehubrow~2.jpg

Section B is about being privately owned, road worthy, mot etc

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic
Under 'Motorhomes', there is no mention of height. (That is only under 'All other vehicles'?) is this correct?? :unsure:
Yes, as in snapshot above.

Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight.
- All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or
3.5 tonnes in weight.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
It's a shame the AA aren't aware of the policy terms. I had to use the breakdown service after my Bailey wouldn't start. Chap from AA said only covered vehicles up to 3.5 ton. After several minutes of arguing, phone went dead. Phoned back, spoke to someone else, eventually agreed they were wrong. Complained, had call apologising and said they would "increase awareness". Good job I was willing to argue, and not stuck at side of motorway shouting into the roadside telephone...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
When you look at the total package offered by being a NFP member, its pretty much untouchable by anyone else. The travel insurance alone, compared to just about anybody else is quite remarkable. My wife and I, with me being over 70 and with medical conditions (Nothing major) get multiple world wide trip cover of 106 days in a twelve month period for just over £300. Many other providers will not even consider anything beyond 90 days and under 90 days for a pair of Dinosaur's like us can and does cost thousands of pounds.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
It's a shame the AA aren't aware of the policy terms. I had to use the breakdown service after my Bailey wouldn't start. Chap from AA said only covered vehicles up to 3.5 ton. After several minutes of arguing, phone went dead. Phoned back, spoke to someone else, eventually agreed they were wrong. Complained, had call apologising and said they would "increase awareness". Good job I was willing to argue, and not stuck at side of motorway shouting into the roadside telephone...
I was the same back in May so if you want my membership number to add to your complaint then private message me. They upheld my complaint and stated they would ensure everyone was re-trained. The issue is their old computer system and updating it to recognise Nationwide customers as we know they do not handle over 3.5k for anyone else. No money in it but might help the next person.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
coach build
Exp
I’m a newbie
I think the new AA cover under FlexPlus is a bit touch and go from the comments above... I was in Germany at the weekend (now in France) and sustained a side window impact which blew the window out... I called the road assistance cover and couldn't have been more pleased with the support received, I do need to get the glass replaced on my return to UK but the garage who was called out have supplied me with a good fitting perspex window cover that does a great interim job.. I have a Bailey 740e 7.5M motorhome if it helps.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just been comparing Nationwide's policy using the AA to the one provided by my insurer (not taken it out yet) which is provided by the RAC, there's not a lot of difference in them except this which, if stuck at the bottom of Spain and having to drive back to your home in the UK could be an issue:

AA: Hire car paid for but only 2 days max
1665413824782.png

RAC: Hire car paid for but up to 14 days max
1665413891033.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As with any insurance you can pay for whatever level of cover you want. We usually take a lot of the risk ourselves in return for paying lower premiums on the basis that on average insurance companies must pay out a lot less than they collect in premiums. On that basis were happy with the nationwide cover the travel health and breakdown cover in the past with 2 ski trips a year plus usually another holiday we fly to plus motorhome trips are really good value. There will be situations where the cover isn't as good as separate policies but we'll accept those risks ourselves.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I've just been comparing Nationwide's policy using the AA to the one provided by my insurer (not taken it out yet) which is provided by the RAC, there's not a lot of difference in them except this which, if stuck at the bottom of Spain and having to drive back to your home in the UK could be an issue:

AA: Hire car paid for but only 2 days max
View attachment 675230

RAC: Hire car paid for but up to 14 days max
View attachment 675231
INTERESTING: 2 days wouldn't give much time to drive home AND who would be responsible for getting the car back to Costa del Sol?

Many years ago, I broke down in France with a minibus full of friends and booze. I managed to fix it to get us back to Dover and, long story cut short, a minibus was provided which was returned to Dover by the transport company which brought the distraught minibus up to Norfolk.

OTOH I tried to hire a car back in 1973(?) to get from S. Wales to Teesside for Xmas, when there was the potential for fuel rationing. The company said that I would be responsible for all costs involved in returning the car to base PLUS excess day charges. We went by train!

Gordon

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
I went with with the CAMC green flag for UK - much cheaper.
Than the Nationwide Flex Plus policy monthly fee for the larger MH dimensions/weight (which also includes a number of additional benefits worth £x), or a direct policy with the AA? The latter would be easy to compare, the former less so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back