LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Oh go on then - just to shut you up!

Had intended to visit Volubilis but didn't make it in the end. Next year hopefully.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Oh go on then - just to shut you up!

Had intended to visit Volubilis but didn't make it in the end. Next year hopefully.
Volubilis worth seeing, We had a local guide made the difference between fascinating history and a load of rocks

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
All good things must come to an end, we are sat at Tanger Med waiting for the ferry. We have yet again had a wonderful time here, Will be stopping at the football club at la linea and hopefully watching the FA semi tomorrow then on to Portugal.
thanks for all the friendship help and laughs
Dave & Maggie
Inshallah

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Mena and I sat at the exact same table in the Hotel bar terrace at Chefchaouen (magnificent views) Also, we took our pictures at Volibulis from the exact same spot ! Are you stalking us?
Not quite sure about the Meknes photo! Would it be the Sultans Tomb, across the road from the Guardian parking ?
We enjoyed Mekne again and would happily return.
Safe Travels you two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bromleyxphil

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
Since 1984 with a short break with a caravan
Well folks we have made it to Morocco.
I don't know if I should post on here as I am not part of Morocco 2016 and you have all now left, I may however be asking for advice and would appreciate the advice of those who know. Is it better on a new thread?
We had an interesting time at the border.
We eventually made it to the front of the queue to see all of the vehicles being searched which prompted the conversation of who was most worried, Lynn about her beer or me about my wine.....neither of which we should have. The actual formality was tense but only lasted 15 mins of the two and a half hour total. We reached the front and I got down from the cab and stood in front of the truck one customs man comes to say something I don't understand I look baffled and he says "parley France" I say "un peu" and the rest of the dealings are in French. He takes the passport and vehicle import D66 document and disappears into an office for a few minutes then comes out to pronounce No, No Carte Gris! I look flummoxed and he points to a little cabin 35 meters back down the queue and gives me my passport. I go to the cabin and it's empty, I walk to two similar cabins before I find one occupied by an unsmiling 12 year old in a police uniform "he is obviously in training for the front line". I ask for Carte Gris and offer my passport whereupon he types all my details into his computer and hands back my passport sans Carte Gris! I go back to stand in front of my truck and my customs man comes out with his mate and starts pointing at a different vehicle document and asking me if I am Spanish. I said no and could see a Spanish registration on his bit of paper. I say I am English and point to my reg plate. He asks louder am I Spanish and is "this" pointing at his bit of paper my vehicle. I say no and point to my reg plate. They both throw up their hands and head back into the office. Lots of walking in and out of the office and searching vehicles in front of me later he comes out with my vehicle document and asks if this is me. I say yes, he asks me if I have any guns in the truck, I say no and he gives me my papers and waves me through!!!
My first proper border, no search, no English and definitely no GUNS!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2016
Armadale
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Oct 2015
Well folks we have made it to Morocco.
I don't know if I should post on here as I am not part of Morocco 2016 and you have all now left, I may however be asking for advice and would appreciate the advice of those who know. Is it better on a new thread?
We had an interesting time at the border.
We eventually made it to the front of the queue to see all of the vehicles being searched which prompted the conversation of who was most worried, Lynn about her beer or me about my wine.....neither of which we should have. The actual formality was tense but only lasted 15 mins of the two and a half hour total. We reached the front and I got down from the cab and stood in front of the truck one customs man comes to say something I don't understand I look baffled and he says "parley France" I say "un peu" and the rest of the dealings are in French. He takes the passport and vehicle import D66 document and disappears into an office for a few minutes then comes out to pronounce No, No Carte Gris! I look flummoxed and he points to a little cabin 35 meters back down the queue and gives me my passport. I go to the cabin and it's empty, I walk to two similar cabins before I find one occupied by an unsmiling 12 year old in a police uniform "he is obviously in training for the front line". I ask for Carte Gris and offer my passport whereupon he types all my details into his computer and hands back my passport sans Carte Gris! I go back to stand in front of my truck and my customs man comes out with his mate and starts pointing at a different vehicle document and asking me if I am Spanish. I said no and could see a Spanish registration on his bit of paper. I say I am English and point to my reg plate. He asks louder am I Spanish and is "this" pointing at his bit of paper my vehicle. I say no and point to my reg plate. They both throw up their hands and head back into the office. Lots of walking in and out of the office and searching vehicles in front of me later he comes out with my vehicle document and asks if this is me. I say yes, he asks me if I have any guns in the truck, I say no and he gives me my papers and waves me through!!!
My first proper border, no search, no English and definitely no GUNS!

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I don't know if I should post on here as I am not part of Morocco 2016 and you have all now left,

Dear Bromleyxphil.
IMHO I think you are entitled to contribute to this thread as you are in Morocco and it is still 2016. I enjoyed very much reading about the adventures of those who have recently left but look forward to reading about yours and those who are still there. We hope to follow in just over a year(post retirement) and reading about your experiences only whets our appetite even more.
Please carry on posting.
Safe journey and adventures.
Best regards
Nik.

PS
Nice truck by the way.

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
I echo everything said before. It will also be interesting to hear how the weather is at this time of year compared to when we get there in Jan / Feb. Might cause us to rethink our plans for next year.

Colin

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
The more the merrier, looking forward to any updates and photos, same as been said any info co-ords etc just ask and hope I can help.
Dave

Bromleyxphil

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
Thanks guys, we are down at Oulidia at the moment. We had issues with Maroc telecom and the wi fi unit I bought in Gib. The Maroc shop in Asillah was shut by the time we got there on Saturday so ended up in Moulais Bouselem and had problems.
Called in at a very helpful Mintel joint today where they sorted me out with 12 gig for 7 quid
Face timed the kids tonight no probs .... I will let you know how it goes.

Bromleyxphil

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
Only 5 vans on here tonight and I think we have already met every fish seller in town. We have a month here so intend heading further down this coast then turn left to Marrakech through some gorges, mountains and sand then head north. Does that sound like a plan?
Last post should say Meditel, don't know how that happened?

Last edited:

Bromleyxphil

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
Hi guys still working our way down the coast and now at Essaouira. We have booked a cookery course in Marrakech next week and need to get in as close as possible. I know some of you have used guardian parking, is this at Koutoubia?
If so how far is it from Jemaa el Fna square?
Does anyone recommend parking anywhere else for the centre?

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
None anymore! 😭
Exp
From 2013
Hi guys still working our way down the coast and now at Essaouira. We have booked a cookery course in Marrakech next week and need to get in as close as possible. I know some of you have used guardian parking, is this at Koutoubia?
If so how far is it from Jemaa el Fna square?
Does anyone recommend parking anywhere else for the centre?

For access to the town this is the parking we prefer. Literally a few minutes walk from the square. Not scenic parking (like most in the cities) but it has black waste dump.

Look out for the entertainment on an evening when the guardian parks an unfeasable volume of cars. The drivers leave their handbrakes off and the guardians park them bumper to bumper, rolling them back and forwards to let folks out and more in with a pebble under the tyres to hold them in place!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Now back home, Motorhome passed it's MOT with no advisories this morning but I have a few jobs to do to get it back to the standard that keeps us happy.
Anyway, Just thought I would mention while in Le Crotoy a few days ago we saw a fish stall selling Monk Fish. Wait for it 29€ a kilo.
Hears one on many I purchased for 40 DH each, about 4 € and well over a Kilo.
IMG_9196.JPG

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Not 100pc sure but If I remember right the overnight guardian parking is about 80dh a alternative would be Le Relais @ 90dh and get a taxi in. Great site easy parking for your wagon good facility's showers swimming pool etc.
Dave

Bromleyxphil

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
image.jpeg
Now back home, Motorhome passed it's MOT with no advisories this morning but I have a few jobs to do to get it back to the standard that keeps us happy.
Anyway, Just thought I would mention while in Le Crotoy a few days ago we saw a fish stall selling Monk Fish. Wait for it 29€ a kilo.
Hears one on many I purchased for 40 DH each, about 4 € and well over a Kilo.
View attachment 103766

Bought one of these this morning....what it is I don't know but grilled with salt and pepper it was great at........50 DH

Last edited:

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
When you upload a picture before you post reply it will say by the pic upload thumbnail or full pic, press full pic.
But don't quote me on that lol, keep em coming
Inshallah

Bromleyxphil

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
image.jpeg
We parked up with the windsurfers at Moulay Bouzerktoun, it's free, right on the beach and there is a water tap on the right on the way into town. Town being loosely applied here. It's a nice run along the coast road from Oualidia and a lot quieter than the guardian parking at Essaouira. We have just moved to the site around the corner. Weather has been in the high 20s and breezy or windy, perfect really.

buttons

Free Member
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Moroccan Help please, my son is going to Morocco on Wednesday. When and where is it bast to get dirhams and how easy is it to change euros or pounds in Morocco.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
any bank will do it . many have card machines but pounds etc go inside . if buying a ferry ticket off carlos he will have some .
sometimes on a friday they prefer to give wages to locals than let tourists have dirhams . thats at banks in morocco. been caught before .

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Dirhams is a "prohibited" currency, that's to say, it's not supposed to be available outside the country. As such your son will need to buy currency at his point of entry - euros and pounds no problem but you seem to get a slightly better rate with pounds. Exchange rate is generally fixed so use the exchanges - banks don't do currency exchange but the main post offices do. Avoid the "touts" who will pester you to get your money changed "at the best rate" - they do no better than you and then will expect to be paid for their trouble (that's Morocco!) Try not to buy too many dirhams 'cos the rate to cash it back in ain't all that brilliant.

Credit cards are generally only accepted in the bigger towns and cities. ATM's can usually be found in most towns and the rate is okay.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Moroccan Help please, my son is going to Morocco on Wednesday. When and where is it bast to get dirhams and how easy is it to change euros or pounds in Morocco.
We just used the ATM's and never had a problem and some banks do exchange, if it's travelling by auto always have some dirhams on you as petrol stations don't like taking cards if it's a two week holiday I'm sure they'll have no problem, plus make sure they inform their the bank before going as they might stop the card

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back