MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
No change then. It WAS a great trip we did first in a car back in 80’s. Actually Followed Wainwright route. Did it twice in motorhomes. Before it was ever zNc500.

We had friends living at South Shian nr Benderloch we continued going until 2020

Shame they did what they did as it’s too busy and people have no idea how to use the roads up there. Out wing mirror was taken out on our Esterel by a hired mh in middle of road on a two way bit!!!

Carol

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes the underside looks worse than it is as the person who's been tasked with treating the corrosion mentioned in previous advisories hasn't bothered to clean anything up but just sprayed an underseal stone guard type substance over the top. And it just comes back. It's all solid but needs the bubbling bits rubbed down before being painted with something like hammerite. Moroccans will sort that out for me.

If I can salvage the generator that'll be a bonus if not then I'll need to add some solar
Inside looks really good but underneath is a bit of horror, looks like its been stored on a beach:eek:
Ours has got a lot of the same components including the exact same microwave/grill and genny. The genny was an expensive option so the first owner has ticked some boxes. Our genny hadnt worked for a while but I decided that I wanted to get it to original spec plus some modern touches and spent a lot of money getting the generator working which as it turns out was wasted money because we haven't used it yet and just before this trip I removed it. Ive got a lot of solar and some lithium and dont like to go to places that aren't sunny.

I would be a bit concerned about the airbags, I dont know how much history youve got on it or whether you know whether theyve been changed but I would get at least one spare into stock so you dont get caught out.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
So the ideal solution would be to ban motorhomes using the road? Or find out that there are fewer visits made to the area and reduced income stream as forced to use campsite? It would be a monopoly for the owners and prices would rise even further! Has no one explained to the owners that its called a free market economy? Lower prices = more users! Easy simple economics ! £10 a night with no electric but water and waste would not be thought out of the question, What's better a £10 in your account and a space on the grass filled or no £10 no one occupying the grass?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Inside looks really good but underneath is a bit of horror, looks like its been stored on a beach:eek:
Ours has got a lot of the same components including the exact same microwave/grill and genny. The genny was an expensive option so the first owner has ticked some boxes. Our genny hadnt worked for a while but I decided that I wanted to get it to original spec plus some modern touches and spent a lot of money getting the generator working which as it turns out was wasted money because we haven't used it yet and just before this trip I removed it. Ive got a lot of solar and some lithium and dont like to go to places that aren't sunny.

I would be a bit concerned about the airbags, I dont know how much history youve got on it or whether you know whether theyve been changed but I would get at least one spare into stock so you dont get caught out.
The underside thankfully is all cosmetic John, sadly parked up for 10 years has done it no good that way but it will get sorted out in morroco over winter.

Have you an idea where you get the airbags from? I'm assuming it's just the actual rubber bit that gets changed. There was an advisory on 2021 mot about cracks but not mentioned again on 2023 mot and when I first looked at them they looked as if they'd been changed but then I lifted the suspension to its max the other day when I took those photos and could see the small cracks on the bottom of them. The metal part of them is too rusty for that to have been changed.

I too am hoping to get the generator up and running again . I've not found a manual for that though in amongst all the books etc for the van

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I was looking through the masses of paperwork for the N&B last night and found this receipt from 2008 for the gas installation. It would seem that the 2nd owner a Mr David George from Bridgend in Wales bought the van in April 2008 . He then had an underslung 116L tank AND 2 x 11kg cylinders all fitted at the same time , I can only imagine they planned to use it a lot over winter time

The tank has obviously been removed now but the big bracket still remains ( I'm gonna remove thst)

I'm hoping to trace Mr George later and have a chat with him about the camper.
20240801_122943.jpg
20240801_122957.jpg

Spotted this cracker on the motorway yesterday
20240801_135341.jpg
20240801_135345.jpg

And this is a photo of my satnav taken yesterday just as I was turning in to uncle Lenny HB Street, you can see it has the wee flag symbol at his house just a few yards away yer the satnav tells me I'm still 30 miles and an hour away lol. Bloody thing
20240801_164100.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The underside thankfully is all cosmetic John, sadly parked up for 10 years has done it no good that way but it will get sorted out in morroco over winter.

Have you an idea where you get the airbags from? I'm assuming it's just the actual rubber bit that gets changed. There was an advisory on 2021 mot about cracks but not mentioned again on 2023 mot and when I first looked at them they looked as if they'd been changed but then I lifted the suspension to its max the other day when I took those photos and could see the small cracks on the bottom of them. The metal part of them is too rusty for that to have been changed.

I too am hoping to get the generator up and running again . I've not found a manual for that though in amongst all the books etc for the van
I reckon there a good chance they re goldschmidt but the man who almost certainly does know is Flairy

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Is your genny gas or petrol? I'm reasonably familiar with the Honda engine, you tend to find it in whacker plates etc but its set up very differently. A couple of things I did discover was that the starter circuit operates on the negative side of the motor and incorporates a couple of safety features one of which is that it had something to control the gas regulator which only operates once the sparkplug was getting power.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That boy David George might be the boy that died Tam!😯
Give my regards to uncle Lenny 🙂
Well the seller changed his story on that and said it was dementia he had and his wife eventually got him to sell it but who knows. I thought if I could get a contact number for him I could speak to someone about it. Worth a shot

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is your genny gas or petrol? I'm reasonably familiar with the Honda engine, you tend to find it in whacker plates etc but its set up very differently. A couple of things I did discover was that the starter circuit operates on the negative side of the motor and incorporates a couple of safety features one of which is that it had something to control the gas regulator which only operates once the sparkplug was getting power.
It's petrol . I tried starting it the other day and it turns over fine but the "no petrol" light was on so I think the tank is empty. I'll need to put a new inline filter on it and I'll probably try running it out a petrol can first time incase the tank is corroded after sitting so long. Will see if it runs then I'll give it an oil change new plug and air filter. Hopefully that's all it needs .

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It's petrol . I tried starting it the other day and it turns over fine but the "no petrol" light was on so I think the tank is empty. I'll need to put a new inline filter on it and I'll probably try running it out a petrol can first time incase the tank is corroded after sitting so long. Will see if it runs then I'll give it an oil change new plug and air filter. Hopefully that's all it needs .
Sounds a reasonable plan but might be worth having a look at the wiring diag first (you're in the perfect place for helpbwith that :LOL: ) The thing that really sticks in my mind is that there were a lot of failsafes on the starter circuit.

Edit, whether mine had more because its gas?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sounds a reasonable plan but might be worth having a look at the wiring diag first (you're in the perfect place for helpbwith that :LOL: ) The thing that really sticks in my mind is that there were a lot of failsafes on the starter circuit.

Edit, whether mine had more because its gas?
Yes unfortunately I've not got the van yet . Collecting it in 3/4 weeks. Got to get my current one up to scratch to sell it first and the new one is having a cambelt etc done by the seller

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The bus up to the stones is all part of the 25 quid entrance fee.
When we wilded there a couple of years ago just like you we just walked up the public footpath it goes near enough for a good view.
Back in the 70's we paid but it was a only about a quid and you were allowed right up to the stones with no restrictions.
Back in the 30s my parents camped there, pitched their tent within the ring. My mother said it was very scary.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I forgot just how much stuff I'd ordered for this van while I was away and there's a huge big box of bits here at uncle lennys .. can't move in the van now lol.

Who ever buys moby is gonna get a load of spare catches etc I think .
But the new lights make a big difference, only got one fitted so far and it's like an airport landing strip in here lol

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Carb might need a clean 👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Carb might need a clean 👍
Yes I would think so .. I'm hoping that before it was laid up the petrol tank had been drained etc rather than it left for 10 years with petrol in it. I'm not sure if ot has a plastic petrol tank on it for the generator or a steel one but if its had petrol in it that's evaporated etc it will likely be a mess. But I might remove the generator so I can have a right good look at it , service it then refitt as it's not the easiest thing to access where its mounted.

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Yes I would think so .. I'm hoping that before it was laid up the petrol tank had been drained etc rather than it left for 10 years with petrol in it. I'm not sure if ot has a plastic petrol tank on it for the generator or a steel one but if its had petrol in it that's evaporated etc it will likely be a mess. But I might remove the generator so I can have a right good look at it , service it then refitt as it's not the easiest thing to access where its mounted.
You might get a second hand carb cheap,if there really gummed up,they are a pain to clean.Ihad some to clean on an old xs 850,Thought I'd cleaned them ,on and off half a dozen times,stripping cleaning, gave up in the end and got some second hand off Ebay.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Oh I've just managed to find and download the installation and user manuals for the dometic generator so that's handy .
Tam Northernraider when you come to servicing the generator and see if it runs drop me a message and I’ll give you detailed instructions how to strip it down, change piston rings etc 👍

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Tam I hope when you get stuck into fixing that generator, its an easy task to revive it, with good clean/flush through new fuel filter & exhaust, oil & filter.
I cant get my head arround why fitting it to a diesel powered vehicle, with LPG tanks and gas on tap, why a 3rd fuel to power the generator Petrol was chosen?. Diesel seems to be the most popular from what I have seen on RV's, Propane also but with as mentioned, more problems it would seem.
They are bloomin expensive to buy new, you would get a lot of solar & lithium these days for that dosh, and its also free energy, the generator apparently is "fuel efficient" using "Only 0.72 Ltrs of Petrol/hour"
Perhaps someone can enlighten me on why petrol was chosen & not diesel 20 years ago, was it availably I wonder?
LES

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Petrol tank should be fairly accessible, carb is on the front under the cover

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Tam I hope when you get stuck into fixing that generator, its an easy task to revive it, with good clean/flush through new fuel filter & exhaust, oil & filter.
I cant get my head arround why fitting it to a diesel powered vehicle, with LPG tanks and gas on tap, why a 3rd fuel to power the generator Petrol was chosen?. Diesel seems to be the most popular from what I have seen on RV's, Propane also but with as mentioned, more problems it would seem.
They are bloomin expensive to buy new, you would get a lot of solar & lithium these days for that dosh, and its also free energy, the generator apparently is "fuel efficient" using "Only 0.72 Ltrs of Petrol/hour"
Perhaps someone can enlighten me on why petrol was chosen & not diesel 20 years ago, was it availably I wonder?
LES
Probably noise, weight and availability of a compact reliable honda engine. Diesel engines have only got quieter in the last few years

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
LES
Yes a quick Google brings them up at upwards of £4k to replace. If it was completely knackered I'd just remove it and fit lithium etc instead.

But if its saveable then it's a worthwhile asset. I may be lucky and it might fire straight up with a new filter and some fresh fuel . Then it will just need a service . Time will tell.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Probably noise, weight and availability of a compact reliable honda engine. Diesel engines have only got quieter in the last few years
I think it will definitely need a new exhaust as the current one is very rusty .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back