MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Don't worry about the genny engine it's a bullet proof honda, I used to have 2 on my pro kart they were never a problem and the were run at full bore , clean the carb and it it will go
Very true about been bullet proof BUT that’s on the proviso of been used and serviced regularly. I know from 1st hand experience that they can be a pig to start and keep running and the only way to cure that is to strip down the engine re-grind the valves, replace the rings and thoroughly clean/replace the carburetor. I did that to my TEC29 (GX160 Honda engine) and it runs perfect now but before it would take ages to start and then just hunt for a few seconds then stall.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tam

Reading your pros and cons post, the cons seem minor and even there you are negating them with the plus side.

I think you are just a bit feared about spending so much more money than you are used to.

You will have less work to do than on many you have had in the past, so more time for paid work to top up the coffers.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I would certainly want a test drive. Up and down through the gearbox if that's ok it seems like the ideal for your family.
New mot and then you can fettle the rest as you go along.
Save you having to buy or rent bricks and mortar.
Of course you know all of that already best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The twin rear wheels suggest it’s on a Mercedes chassis. If it’s the OM611 engine, 2.7l 5 cylinder, it’s got a chain, so unlike the Fiat, there’s no cam belt to change. My old e-class estate was on the original chain when I sold it with 350,000 miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would certainly want a test drive. Up and down through the gearbox if that's ok it seems like the ideal for your family.
New mot and then you can fettle the rest as you go along.
Save you having to buy or rent bricks and mortar.
Of course you know all of that already best of luck with whatever decision you make.
Everything you need for living in, a bit of ground in Portugal or somewhere and you are made.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Very true about been bullet proof BUT that’s on the proviso of been used and serviced regularly. I know from 1st hand experience that they can be a pig to start and keep running and the only way to cure that is to strip down the engine re-grind the valves, replace the rings and thoroughly clean/replace the carburetor. I did that to my TEC29 (GX160 Honda engine) and it runs perfect now but before it would take ages to start and then just hunt for a few seconds then stall.
Never had a problem with my twin 160s re rung mine after 3 years and re set the noisy tappets just used to change the oil every year

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Tam your own van is parked next to it could you not transfer some water to it and a gas bottle.
Our, unused for a few years, genny would fire at the turn but despite stripping down, John is an engineer, would not run. Do hope you have more luck with the one in the van.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
He’s been talking himself into it from day 1 , he had already ruled a van that size out his want list , there will be more wrong with than you can see at the moment, having two vans ain’t good at the moment , if it were me I’d buy it BUT there is a big risk of many items failing due to lack of use , BUT probably had more problems with moby

LIFE IS SHORT DO IT

then fight your way out the rut , you will get there
Life is but one long challenge
And hopefully be happy with it 🥹

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Only 50% Paul the other 50% is Lenny 🤭

Screenshot_20240730_123517_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cheers🍻

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry guys I'm not keeping you in suspenders deliberately. I've been bust this morning fitting a solar panel and controller on to Jackie's vw t6 as she had taken the one I put on it before off to put on her new bigger van. So just a cheap setup on the t6 to keep her battery topped up for now.

All done now and she kindly offered use of the washing machine so just been doing all my throws etc .

So, I actually slept really well last night, I'm actually very proud of myself how level headed I'm being with this van , normally I just dive in feet first.

So I phoned Gareth about 11.30 , told him I liked the van etc but that it needed a few things doing straight away before I could use it really and that when I buy it I've got to drive it way down to Cornwall straight off and I'd be concerned about Cambelt, brakes etc with it sitting around. So I said I'd want cambelt done on it and a fresh mot before I'd take it anywhere. If he could do them then I'd offer £27k for it.

I expected him to turn that down to be honest and had a second offer in mind but he said he couldn't use the guy he'd normally get to do a cambelt as the van wouldn't fit ...so he'd have to ring around to find somewhere to do it and he'd get back to me .

So I'm assuming he's accepting those terms and offer.

He text about 2pm saying he's having difficulty getting somewhere to do belt but still trying . But it's booked in at the local bus garage for an mot on Thursday.

He will get back to me regarding cambelt .

So I think that's it ...just a case of him finding somewhere in Wales to do cambelt lol

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Sorry guys I'm not keeping you in suspenders deliberately. I've been bust this morning fitting a solar panel and controller on to Jackie's vw t6 as she had taken the one I put on it before off to put on her new bigger van. So just a cheap setup on the t6 to keep her battery topped up for now.

All done now and she kindly offered use of the washing machine so just been doing all my throws etc .

So, I actually slept really well last night, I'm actually very proud of myself how level headed I'm being with this van , normally I just dive in feet first.

So I phoned Gareth about 11.30 , told him I liked the van etc but that it needed a few things doing straight away before I could use it really and that when I buy it I've got to drive it way down to Cornwall straight off and I'd be concerned about Cambelt, brakes etc with it sitting around. So I said I'd want cambelt done on it and a fresh mot before I'd take it anywhere. If he could do them then I'd offer £27k for it.

I expected him to turn that down to be honest and had a second offer in mind but he said he couldn't use the guy he'd normally get to do a cambelt as the van wouldn't fit ...so he'd have to ring around to find somewhere to do it and he'd get back to me .

He text about 2pm saying he's having difficulty getting somewhere to do belt but still trying . But it's booked in at the local bus garage for an mot on Thursday.

So I think that's it ...just a case of him finding somewhere in Wales to do cambelt lol
To be fair to him the vans a biggin so wont fit in many places or on many hoists. Shame the bus place doesnt do repairs etc if it fits in for mot.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
To be fair to him the vans a biggin so wont fit in many places or on many hoists. Shame the bus place doesnt do repairs etc if it fits in for mot.
Yes he tried them for Cambelt but they must not be able to do it. I'm sure he'll find somewhere round Cardiff or something

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Tam needs a decent test run through all the gears up to cruising speed, then hill climb trials, brake efficiency check, plus get the feel of the thing being so big etc.
If it does have a cam belt, then I can understand that it may be too risky to have a decent test run before it is changed.
At least the guy selling it has realised the cam belt is the essential deal breaker, plus new MOT of course, so if he gets this done quickly, and accepts Tams offer, then it looks like it could be a done deal, subject to acceptable test drive.
Tam have you done any full time insurance quotes yet?, is it much more than Moby?, all our insurances seem to have risen so much over the last year on everything, not just Moho's.
Good Luck, cant wait to hear about your test drive, when its possible.(y)
LES

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

I can make your life really easy Tam, I swap my Ducati Streetfighter motorcycle in a very rare specification and immaculate condition for Mobey, fits straight into your huge new garage, no need to do anything to Moby at all, I will make it my new project lol🤷🏻‍♂️😎, no hassle for you at all👍

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I can make your life really easy Tam, I swap my Ducati Streetfighter motorcycle in a very rare specification and immaculate condition for Mobey, fits straight into your huge new garage, no need to do anything to Moby at all, I will make it my new project lol🤷🏻‍♂️😎, no hassle for you at all👍
Well the offer is there when you need it🤷🏻‍♂️😎

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yes he tried them for Cambelt but they must not be able to do it. I'm sure he'll find somewhere round Cardiff or something

Tam

You should get active on finding a place to do the work, just in case Merlin tries to use it as an excuse to slip out of the deal.

Geoff

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Tam

You should get active on finding a place to do the work, just in case Merlin tries to use it as an excuse to slip out of the deal.

Geoff
Was there not a reference way back here on Fun about applying to NHS/ Fire Service/ambulance workshops to get timing belt and MOT service done? Or an I imaging that? Just a thought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back