Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tyres

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T70E
Exp
Since 2016
Anyone any thoughts on these, as compared to the Vanco or normal Agilis tyres?
regards,
Rob

StephDeLux

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
A guy who's an instructor for the Michelin dealers in France recommends them for my motorhome.

They are a summer tyre with some winter abilities, perfect for temperate regions, not good for white winter conditions. On the other hand in summer it is actually supposed to be better than all the less recent summer tyres.

It is also a bit more resistant for offroad conditions like driving on a track or to a pitch or to a remote place. Not an all-terrain, but more solid than the regular tyre.

It should grip a bit better in meadows than a regular summer tyre.

Apparently the whole Crossclimate range (plus, SUV and Agilis) sells like crazy.

As you can tell, I don't have any personal experience yet with it, and it won't be for a while, the Hymer will come with new Continental 4 seasons that I don't intend to throw away :)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I had them fitted on the front (FWD Ducato), was concerned they may be very noisy, but have found them OK. As regards to grip, I've driven 3 or thousand miles, but cannot really comment since I have not had much of that sort of terrain. Except driving up my son's field in the wet grass (soggy, clay/sandy and very steep, it went up the hill like a dream and I felt that you could feel it biting into the ground. With the straight Agilis, it would slip readily. I could, however, be deluding myself!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just had four fitted to our van.
Only driven home from the fitters so far so no idea of the grip level but they didn’t seem noisy.
Nice chunky treads though so should give much better grip than the old Michelin campers.

Richard.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Got them on mine for a year now.. it was a choice between them and Goodyear Blizzak but thought Michelin had more of an aggressive tread more suited to grass. No complaints, snow on Yorkshire Moors last year and various rally fields. But then again anything is better than bog standard tyres

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We recently purchased a 7.5 mtr Hymer that is fitted with cross climate’s. The previous owner had usually used Agilis camper tyres but was unhappy with the firmness of the ride, he was advised to try the C Climates as they apparently have softer side walls, his opinion was that they improved the harsh ride by some degree.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Just had 6 fitted and are happy with them no noticeable noise difference from the michelin camping tyres and I got a great deal 6 for £450 all week 18 2019 date from ebay

OP
OP
RobPeel
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T70E
Exp
Since 2016
Great feedback - just what I wanted to hear.

cheers fun steps.

regards,
Rob

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i have 2 16" cross climates on the front of my Ducato PVC - seem very good :) will put 2 on rear when time comes to change

SMB

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Had four fitted recently and done approx 1000 miles on them, not much difference in the handling to the previous tyres (Hankook all-weather tyres but only m&s). They got me off a very muddy aire recently no problem. Paid €800 fitted in Spain for them, I was going to wait until I returned to the UK but had a bad puncture on a motorway (thank you Tyrepal for alerting me) and the tyre was unrepairable so decided to change them. I don't think the Hankooks lasted anywhere near as long as the Continental Vanco four seasons 2 I had prior to fitting them but they were a lot cheaper!

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Just had 6 Mitchelin agilis cc yesterday in Spain they look really good for slippy conditions like wet grass mud and snow as the cross hatches are supposed to eject mud and snow as it goes around there for clean trad each time tyres touch ground as per a video I saw in Sweden and stopping distance in snow was half the distance of normal tyres was very impressed so as needed new tyres so I bought 6 in Spain :-)

Attachments

• 785703DE-333B-4F3C-8C7B-4FD0CAE80073.jpeg
    785703DE-333B-4F3C-8C7B-4FD0CAE80073.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 189
  • F105763D-FA82-4AA4-81E1-9DE83F8ED5AD.jpeg
    F105763D-FA82-4AA4-81E1-9DE83F8ED5AD.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 190
  • F3D49C15-A387-4F30-BF31-9CEEA95322E9.jpeg
    F3D49C15-A387-4F30-BF31-9CEEA95322E9.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 516CED64-1944-4966-A022-A8FA145C5A71.jpeg
    516CED64-1944-4966-A022-A8FA145C5A71.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 195
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
I love Michelin tyres. I think the general balance of rate of wear coupled with performance to be excellent.

When I was umming and errring about buying our Chausson new in 2018 my wife Val just casually mentioned that it was shod with Michelins and it pushed me over the edge to purchase. About 28.000 Km later and the fronts are still only about 25% worn. They may be a harder tyre but we have specced Michellin's on all our cars over the years and have always been very happy.

Our camping car has Michelin Agilis Summer tyres, our BMW 335D, Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (which are absolutely superb), our Citroen Picasso, Michelin Energy savers. The only reason why our old Citroen 2CV has Toyo's is that in particular that size (135x15) the only M tyre available is the very old 'X' and they cost an absolute fortune. I was quoted 145 € per tyre recently and wallet won over principle.

After over a million and a half miles of business driving, never a problem with any Michelin tyre which have made up the bulk of our mileage, but two Pirelli blowouts, one at 90mph and which caused me to wet myself, and one at about 7mph, and a very sudden, almost blowout with a Continental (with no visible reason). In fairness on both occasions I was able to pull the car up fairly well but the wheels were wrecked.

I do find when discussing Michelin tyres that there tends to be the normal anti-French moan from some quarters but I am very pleased that there is nothing above. I don't care where they come from, I just really like them.

I have only ever used summer and on a couple of occasions winter Michelin's. I have never used cross climate or four season but it is my intention to fit them at the end of the coming summer on the camping car and the Citroen. They are the coming thing I think as they have a superb reputation generally and are fast becoming the norm irrespective of brand.

Some bright spark will lecture me no doubt, that you can buy X brand for €'s less. Most of the big brands are ok and people have their favourites. I do recall a road test a few years ago where a Chinese tyre took 5 car lengths longer to stop in the wet than the main competitors! Still, they were good value!

Happy driving.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Interesting this thread as I looking at fitting winter tyres but loathed to fit Michelin as the van is currently shod with Michelin Aglis Camper tyre. They must be the worst tyres I ever come across, noisy hard ride, almost no grip and high wear rate.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Interesting this thread as I looking at fitting winter tyres but loathed to fit Michelin as the van is currently shod with Michelin Aglis Camper tyre. They must be the worst tyres I ever come across, noisy hard ride, almost no grip and high wear rate.

I would buy more of them in a heartbeat. Each to his own!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would buy more of them in a heartbeat. Each to his own!
Are you seriously referring to the Michelin Campers?
The grip is terrible the wheels spin on dry tarmac an the front ends not light 1950 kg 300 kg heavier than my last van and that didn't spin with Conti's.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Are you seriously referring to the Michelin Campers?
The grip is terrible the wheels spin on dry tarmac an the front ends not light 1950 kg 300 kg heavier than my last van and that didn't spin with Conti's.

I think that if you read my post it could not be much clearer……...…………......

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just had to panic swap (front to rear) my Mich camper tyres when I noticed how worn the fronts were, and only two years. Shocking wear rate, and no grip on any surface. Not for me again. Will definitely be a change.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just had to panic swap (front to rear) my Mich camper tyres when I noticed how worn the fronts were, and only two years. Shocking wear rate, and no grip on any surface. Not for me again. Will definitely be a change.
Just out of interest what sort of mileage are we talking about, before you noticed and had to swap front to rears please.
I love Michelins on our cars, last one Audi Q3 4x4 did 34 thousand miles before we changed them, and that was because of feint cracks on one tyres inner sidewall, they still had plenty of tread left.

However a Big 4 Tonne MH with front wheel drive is a different animal altogether, but I was hoping for 25K+ miles before changing.
Thanks
LES

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We have them on our Hymer too, got them fitted in the UK for the same price as Agilis Camper, Quickfit fitted them 2 years ago, so far cannot fault them, don't do too much snow, mud and soggy field driving here in Spain, but if I did I am sure they would help.
No great noise level, quite sticky, good handling in normal driving conditions....

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014

We have Michelin Agilis C on our Hymer. The rear four have been on for 4 years and still have loads of tread, the fronts have been on for 3 years and still have loads of tread.
That yours have worn so fast is clearly down to being used on a front wheel drive vehicle.
I reckon at the current wear rate, we could still have all six tyres for another 4 years or more before they wear out. I can't fault them for our van, never once lost traction on any surface including wet grass, but it's horses for courses.
Interesting thread though, when we need to change ours we may well go for the Cross climate. ?

PeteH

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Quite frankly I am not sure what is on ours, beyond the fact that they are still legal tread wise. and run at 74psi (hot according to the tyrepal) Rear and 64 Front. Any Noise I put down to the fact that the underpinnings are those of a comercial vehicle, and as such one cannot expect the same low interior noise level of a car?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just out of interest what sort of mileage are we talking about, before you noticed and had to swap front to rears please.
I love Michelins on our cars, last one Audi Q3 4x4 did 34 thousand miles before we changed them, and that was because of feint cracks on one tyres inner sidewall, they still had plenty of tread left.

However a Big 4 Tonne MH with front wheel drive is a different animal altogether, but I was hoping for 25K+ miles before changing.
Thanks
LES

I did just over 6 thou miles last year, so would think they have done 12thou miles.

thought I had rubber problems then looked better and found it was the first part of the pattern of the tread had nearly completely disappeared. So swapped front to rear for Xmas break.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
A guy who's an instructor for the Michelin dealers in France recommends them for my motorhome.......

Yet Michelin themselves recommend that the Crossclimates are not suitable for motorhomes !!

I went against their advice and so far I’m very happy with them fitted to my AutoSleeper, as well as having a set fitted to my 4 wheel drive car.

894EAE9A-4625-444F-A1DE-D42486BD7F82.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks Ken
Well that's it clarified straight from the horses mouth so to speak its got to be Michelin Camper CP or nothing from them it would seem.
Makes me wonder if those with other Tyre makes, like Vanco, Hankook's etc are also just made for Vans, with no provision for constant heavy loadings, and being parked up for long periods?

One can only think the answer is no, as they run at lower pressures that the Michelins i.e 79PSI.

Then again, it that were the case then all MH,s would/should come as new with Michelin CP tyres.

Its even more confusing now isnt it, except of course if you have Michelin Camper tyres already.
But as we know there are thousands of vans fitted tyres other than Michelin, I wonder how they will fair in longevity and blow out risks.
I will be watching this closely to learn of others experiences and opinions.
LES

PeteH

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Quite frankly I am not sure what is on ours, beyond the fact that they are still legal tread wise. and run at 74psi (hot according to the tyrepal) Rear and 64 Front. Any Noise I put down to the fact that the underpinnings are those of a comercial vehicle, and as such one cannot expect the same low interior noise level of a car?

So having been prompted by the post, I went and looked, It apears that it has always been on Conti`s. The spare (O/E as it is dated 2009) and by my reckoning will be replaced when I find a place for the spare that does not involve shoving it under the bed!. Is a "Vanco 2". The current tyres are Vanco Camper, and still with more than adequate remaining tread depth. So far I have managed to get on and off some wet fields, which is not bad with an Auto box too.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
So Michelin have produced a tyre that in my opinion far exceeds it Camper tyres and everybody is now fitting these Cross Climate tyres and Michelin now has a warehouse full of Camper tyres that they cant get rid of and Michelin reply as they did to Ken!!!!! Makes one wonder does it not!!!!!!! Better rush out and change my CC's for inferior Campers.

PeteH

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There was quite an extensive post some 2 or mabe 3 years back ref tyres and the "advisability" of Camper tyres as oposed to "van" tyres. I`ve tried a search but cannot locate it?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back