LV Insurance no longer insuring Fiat motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
Hi,
I’ve just got off the phone to LV where I attempted to get a quote for a new Fiat Ducato based motorhome we should be collecting later this month.
I have a multi car insurance policy with them already and had a previous Fiat Ducato based motorhome insured on the policy earlier this year.
The lady I spoke to asked all the expected questions then advised that they wouldn’t be able to insure it as their underwriting rules had changed in July.
Anyone heard anything about this?

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I've never been asked the make nor model of my motorhome nor its value. It's described as Fiat Motorcaravan on my policy. I notice that there's no reference to motorhomes on their website now - you used to be able to get a motorhome quote from there in the past.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've never been asked the make nor model of my motorhome nor its value. It's described as Fiat Motorcaravan on my policy. I notice that there's no reference to motorhomes on their website now - you used to be able to get a motorhome quote from there in the past.
Thats mental

I'd not be happy with that in case it created issues in the event of a claim.

I've never had an insurance policy for anything that didn't ask the value and the make and model.

What are they basing the premium on if they don't know the value.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
Thats mental

I've never had an insurance policy for anything that didn't ask the value and the make and model.

It’s the same with their car policies. I’ve got two cars on one of their multi-car policies and have never been asked about the value of either of them.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It’s the same with their car policies. I’ve got two cars on one of their multi-car policies and have never been asked about the value of either of them.
I'm guessing on a claim then the insured is getting the minimum market value

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thats mental

Remember about 60% of the premium is to cover Third Party Risk.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Nov 2009
We had a quote for a new Motorhome on 4th July that we get on 24th. We rang today to say concerned we are hearing rumours about them not insuring Motorhomes anymore. The guy said our quote stands as we have been with them for more than one year. Does all seem a bit odd though and leaves me slightly nervous insuring a brand new motorhome. We did have to give them the value but no alarm required but we are having outsmart the thief tracker and alarm fitted the day after we get it anyway.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
I had another conversation with LV today to see if I could get clarity on their new rules around insuring motorhomes and/or campervans.
It appears that they will no longer quote on coach built motorhomes - I assume this includes A class but I didn’t specifically ask. I don’t know whether they will renew cover on existing policies.
They have a list of campervans which they will quote on. This list includes factory built VW campers for example but they won’t quote on anything not on their list.
Needless to say, our new camper isn’t on their list so it looks like we’ll be going with Caravanguard.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Having read most of this thread a couple of times now, I decided to call before our next insurance renews in February 2025. Having had our motorhome insurance (and other vehicles) with LV for the past 4 years, I am very concerned that we will have to look elsewhere for cover. Mrs B was sitting next to me and has read this post to ensure that I have not written something that was not said.
I stated my concerns to the lady on the other end of the phone. She responded saying that they had changed their stance on mororhome insurance and were not covering vehicles that have been "modified." She added, that people could have added extras at substantial cost (she said £20k as an example) to vehicles, and that was the sector they were not covering.

I went into the detail of ours. A Mercedes-Benz Sprinter tractor unit made into a motorhome by Hymer in Germany, and what we paid for it new though an appointed UK dealer. I said that all we have added since it was delivered was a camera system. Her response was, that is all fine, we would pay the market value. I have had similar conversations with them when we got our first MH (Adria C-Class) and again, last year, when we changed to the Hymer. Their responses have been consistent.
My impression is that anything that is not on the invoice as new, is not covered. Gaslow, Camera systems, alarms, trackers, and the likes may be an issue. This could also raise an issue if anyone buying a used motorhome does not get a detailed sales invoice of what they have actually bought.
I would be loathed to change from LV as my dealings with them over the phone have all been first-class. Via the website is hopeless.
Safe and happy travels.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Tried to insure my 1 year old globecar (fiat ducato). I was told that as my reg. no was not recognised, they won't insure it.
And I have a virtually identical globecar as you, insured it with them new last year and renewed last month!!
I think it depends on which employee you speak to....

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I've just finished a (short) chat with an LV agent who told me they were no longer insuring motorhomes. Full stop.
I renewed my multi policy for two cars and the motorhome two weeks ago with them as the price had risen by £180.
Immediately on speaking to the agent about the price without any questions from me she knocked £82 off the renewal price so all in for £722

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I renewed my multi policy for two cars and the motorhome two weeks ago with them as the price had risen by £180.
Immediately on speaking to the agent about the price without any questions from me she knocked £82 off the renewal price so all in for £722
Same here. Fiat Ducato Adria and two cars on a multi vehicle policy. Renewal due on 11 September. Got the renewal quote, phoned up and queried the £175 increase. Immediate reduction of £90, didn't even ask for a reduction. Amazing! No explanation, no query about mojo. Will be paying tomorrow.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
N
Tried to insure my 1 year old globecar (fiat ducato). I was told that as my reg. no was not recognised, they won't insure it.
Not recognising your registration number might be a different matter. Does it show up normally on other sites such as the DVLA vehicle enquiry one or the ULEZ one?

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
That's interesting to hear. Could you give a couple of examples?
Major issue is windscreen cover, Circa £600 via broker ( think its called highway) upto value of the vehicle if bought direct from LV.

Several other T&Cs differences. Can't member now but rest assured if you read them you'll see.

As an aside never sign up to anything without reading the small print

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I've just finished a (short) chat with an LV agent who told me they were no longer insuring motorhomes. Full stop.

Update, FWIW. I rang LV again, different agent, who told me that they no longer insure van conversions, although they will consider renewing an existing policy.

They will, however, continue to insure A Class and Coachbuilt motorhomes. Could not explain the reasoning. :oops2:

I dare say that some one else ringing might get a different answer.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Looking at the conversations youve all had, it sounds like it just depends who you talk to.
Dosent sound like all are singing off the same songsheet…..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back