LV Insurance no longer insuring Fiat motorhomes? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
Hi,
I’ve just got off the phone to LV where I attempted to get a quote for a new Fiat Ducato based motorhome we should be collecting later this month.
I have a multi car insurance policy with them already and had a previous Fiat Ducato based motorhome insured on the policy earlier this year.
The lady I spoke to asked all the expected questions then advised that they wouldn’t be able to insure it as their underwriting rules had changed in July.
Anyone heard anything about this?

antprice1970

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E635 2008
Exp
Hi,
I’ve just got off the phone to LV where I attempted to get a quote for a new Fiat Ducato based motorhome we should be collecting later this month.
I have a multi car insurance policy with them already and had a previous Fiat Ducato based motorhome insured on the policy earlier this year.
The lady I spoke to asked all the expected questions then advised that they wouldn’t be able to insure it as their underwriting rules had changed in July.
I have Fiat Ducato based motorhome, I am currently with Caravanguard, due renewal in 4 weeks so I checked Ripe and they giving 25% discount if using The Motorhome Matt podcast discount code. It is cheaper by £60 than renewal price from Caravanguard. Might be worth a look.
Ant

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I wonder if they will start doing MAN's? They're one of very few insurers who still cover Morocco

They do, but they had an issue with ours being LHD.

They kept asking me if it was an import to which I replied that “all French, German, Italian, etc manufactured motorhomes are imports but if you're asking is it a personal import, the answer is no”. I couldn’t get anywhere with them. 🤷‍♂️

Ian

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Hastings won't give me a quote for insuring car again over 70
But I'm with Hastings and I'm 82! What ever's going on? I tried Admiral on line for both the car and motorhome, they said we're just a van and they don't do vans. Then there was the business about Comfort refusing a van coz they had fitted a solar panel.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2013
Leics.
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2000
We were also told at the beginning of this week that LV were no longer insuring motorhomes, this was after being put on hold while it was checked with a supervisor.
Possibly they had their fingers burned with some of the very cheap policies they have been issuing.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Im having nightmares with LV and renewal see my new post and they are not giving me Info I require either ,

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Nov 2009
We are getting a new Motorhome Fiat based on 2 weeks and have received a quote over the phone and in writing from LV on 4th July?? I think we better give them a call and double check now as we were all set to go with LV on a multi vehicle policy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
i needed some info from LV today and they said they no longer do coachbuilt motorhomes based on Fiat, peugeot,ford , merc, chassis but they will do van conversions and campers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
i needed some info from LV today and they said they no longer do coachbuilt motorhomes based on Fiat, peugeot,ford , merc, chassis but they will do van conversions and campers
That’s interesting. I was trying to get a quote for a van conversion but was told they don’t now offer cover. Seems like there may be some inconsistent information coming from LV. Maybe new rules taking time to bed in properly.
I’ll give them another call tomorrow to see if I can get some clarity.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Camper XL
Exp
Hi,
I was unable to insure our Dreamer ( Fiat Ducato based ) Camper XL PVC with LV following a call with them yesterday.

Was not told why just that they couldn't insure it, its 4.25T and kept on the drive at home. Thankfully Caravan Guard are coming out really competitive for us this year :)

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
I called them a few days ago for a quote. I was told they’d stopped insuring MH’s for new policies. I hadn’t mentioned at that stage what my MH was

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
They won't insure a motorhome if stored in a compound even if it is CASSOA Gold site!
They inure ours and it is stored away from our home address. Have done for the last five years. The first four years with a Ducato based Adria, now a Mercedes based Hymer. We renewed in February.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Maybe it's because they're directly competing with their brokers . I'm insured with safeguard but it's Lv on the policy providing the cover.

I'd considered contacting Lv direct next year and cutting out the middle man so to speak.

Perhaps that's something to do with it.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Maybe it's because they're directly competing with their brokers . I'm insured with safeguard but it's Lv on the policy providing the cover.

I'd considered contacting Lv direct next year and cutting out the middle man so to speak.

More like they got their fingers burnt. Insuring a vehicle that you don't want to know the value of until a claim comes in does not seem like a good business model as you never know the risk you are carrying. I reckon there had a claim or two and have had to pay pit a lot more than they bargained for.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019

That is how we got to use them. They were the broker on our CAMC insurance policy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swamp
Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
Since 2002
More like they got their fingers burnt. Insuring a vehicle that you don't want to know the value of until a claim comes in does not seem like a good business model as you never know the risk you are carrying. I reckon there had a claim or two and have had to pay pit a lot more than they bargained for.
It always seemed strange to me that they didn’t ask the vehicles value and didn’t insist on an alarm or immobiliser when I got quotes from them.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes it could be that. Even a few a class windscreen claims could make their eyes water. I had my hymer insured for 3 years and the total amount I paid for 3 years cover was less than they paid out in the first 3 months for a replacement windscreen.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006

Interesting Safegards renewal landed on mat today. LV insurers.
Quote up £18 on last year including the breakdown cover.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Interesting Safegards renewal landed on mat today. LV insurers.
Quote up £18 on last year including the breakdown cover.
My safeguard policy renewed in April and actually went down in price. And it still had breakdown cover on it which was strange as its not supposed to cover vehicles over 20 years old and mine is 26.

I have alternative cover through nationwide

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Direct with LV 2019 A class owned from new, renewed this March at £85,000 value did not specify that it had to have a tracker (but we have) age 75. No problems at renewal.

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
It makes no sense that some Brokers and LV themselves are telling customers that LV /Allianz is no longer offering MOHO policies and then some people are getting them renewed ??

What exactly is going on ????

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It makes no sense that some Brokers and LV themselves are telling customers that LV /Allianz is no longer offering MOHO policies and then some people are getting them renewed ??

Is it new Vs renew? :unsure:

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

They may just be telling you that because of your unresolved insurance issues.

As both Lv and Allianz are the underwriters for literally dozens of brokers they'd lose a fortune turning down motorhome policies.

From the comments on this thread it seems to be on a personal basis. They're the underwriters on my policy but my broker is safeguard.
I'm going to try Lv direct next year just to see if there's a difference in premium.

I've been with safeguard over 6 years now and initially stuck with them because they had no mileage restrictions, Europe wide breakdown and unlimited glass cover . And they provide continuous 365 days usage Europe wide which a lot of companies don't.. some have a 90 or 180 day trip limit.

They now have mileage limits though and my camper is too old for the breakdown cover. Which is a shame.

I hate having to predict my mileage and my old van breaks down less than newer ones.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back