LPG installation. (10 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Barriesimpson
Jesús (the guy who installed it) told me that people do say that but he could find no reason for it and certainly not a risk of overfill as the system controls that. However, I can switch bottles manually any time so it might be an idea to do that occasionally so the gas in the other bottle doesn't go off? Does gas go off?

Really ⚠️
The lack of basic knowledge and understanding about how the valves and systems work is actually quite disturbing.
You can certainly overfill any LPG system if you try hard enough and are either stupid enough to spend 45 minutes trying to get the last few pence in or choose to ignore the fact that alternating between cylinders is in fact best practice and something we religiously explain to all our customers.
We actually demonstrate the valve operation in the open air to our staff members so they have the benefit of having the correct knowledge.
I talk to someone who is involved in the gas training for Leisure vehicle fitters and it’s actually very scary how limited and basic their knowledge really is , they don’t even have to learn how to do a gas fitting properly ⚠️

Last edited:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I don't know if they told you, but best practice is (reportedly) to make sure you use both bottles, don't keep using and refilling just the one.

The 80% autofill cutoff will apparently let small amounts through if it is already full, so if you only use one and repeatedly refill it, you can overfill the one you don't use.
You are absolutely correct about this and it’s something that we explain to all our customers.
Ignore anyone telling you otherwise 👍

OP
OP
Barriesimpson
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I nearly always change the changeover to the other bottle after filling up but if we fill up on this trip in Spain or France I won't as I don't want a bottle with 65% butane in it when I get back to the UK.
Portugal is OK that is 100% propane like the UK.
I think you'll find it's propane in Spain not butane. Says it on the pumps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you'll find it's propane in Spain not butane. Says it on the pumps.
It is a mixture up to 65% butane dependant on time of year.
Quite a few people have been caught out, filling up in Spain then finding Truma Combi won't work on cold Marroco nights in January.

OP
OP
Barriesimpson
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
The lack of basic knowledge and understanding about how the valves and systems work is actually quite disturbing.
Well in this case the fitter has all the understanding and knowledge needed and he extends the necessary homologation certificate needed for the Spanish authority. He was trained in the UK as seen by the diplomas and certificates he possesses and all the equipment is imported from the UK also.
You can certainly overfill any LPG system if you try hard enough and are either stupid enough to spend 45 minutes trying to get the last few pence in
Well I'm not that stupid, so no case there, the pump automatically shuts off once full. Maybe this is a new system you are not familiar with?
We actually demonstrate the valve operation in the open air to our staff members so they have the benefit of having the correct knowledge.
I talk to someone who is involved in the gas training for Leisure vehicle fitters and it’s actually very scary how limited and basic their knowledge really is , they don’t even have to learn how to do a gas fitting properly ⚠️
I love the way that only British people know how to do it properly 😂

OP
OP
Barriesimpson
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
It is a mixture up to 65% butane dependant on time of year.
Quite a few people have been caught out, filling up in Spain then finding Truma Combi won't work on cold Marroco nights in January.
Yes, correct, much the same as in all of Europe apparently (except the UK). I've not been to Morocco as yet, in the van that is, so wouldn't know, but if you run out you're gonna have to fill with whatever they have I would say.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yes, correct, much the same as in all of Europe apparently (except the UK). I've not been to Morocco as yet, in the van that is, so wouldn't know, but if you run out you're gonna have to fill with whatever they have I would say.
When you do visit Morocco Barrie....post a question on here..." Can I fill up my GPL, GLP or LPG in Morocco".. don't be disappointed to hear...NO....but you can buy one of their cylinders....forward planning for you...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back