Lots of travelling, meeting lot's of people and I always ask! And you know what? It's amazing how many people have never heard of MotorhomeFun! (1 Viewer)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Always amazes me the people who turn up at the Fun area at Warners shows who are not on Jim's list. You ask them their forum name and they don't have a scooby doo what you are on about! Then it turns out that they just wanted the Warners discount. It's rare for them to escape our clutches without them being signed up!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
To be honest, what's wrong with it as it is , plenty of members to last Jim out, and if a few more come that's a bonus, unless Jim is thinking of getting it more popular and then flogging it, I don't see the need for any change.
Some of the views of folks on here though is never going to attract young people they just want to jump in a van,park where they like, let grey water out where they want and generally have a good time as they see it without being talked down to by the vast minority on here.

To some extent, it might be attitudes like this that put younger people from joining or participating.... being considered as folk who park where they like, let grey water out etc just because they are young. The last few folk I saw dribbling grey waste, running generators at anti social times, reserving spaces on aires for their mates, not stopping their dogs from yapping or cr*pping everywhere (and not clearing up after them) etc were not young people.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I bet you all knew I would say this !!!

I think the future is in Journals. If a lot more people left reviews/blogs/entries into journals then the map becomes full of extremely useful information that you can ignore if you so wish. Or you can check to see what information is available beyond that of an aire, and with photographs galore

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I ve just done my bit on facebook !

1713699827777.png

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
To be honest, what's wrong with it as it is , plenty of members to last Jim out, and if a few more come that's a bonus, unless Jim is thinking of getting it more popular and then flogging it, I don't see the need for any change.
Some of the views of folks on here though is never going to attract young people they just want to jump in a van,park where they like, let grey water out where they want and generally have a good time as they see it without being talked down to by the vast minority on here.

I just want to like the first paragraph.

I also want to add that increasing the membership/contributors could make 'What's New' difficult to monitor, as it could amount to even more pages per day. I already find I have to spend too much time trawling through the topics to find the ones in which I am interested, including the new ones.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
  • Pulled out of the magazine too much work for little reward
  • Not going to Warners shows any more, and not replacing it elsewhere
  • You don't want young Lefties
  • Tik Tok will be as dead as radio Luxemburg
  • Younger folk (like my mid 30's son and daughter at least) laugh out loud at he title Motorhome Fun and Funsters comparing it with something from a 1950's advert for Skegness, you are satisfied however that if people do not like it, then they not the type of people you want
  • Podcast OK, however, you trounce them in the ratings so why bother, although you might give it a go with Matt
  • Forum is OK for the next 20 years in any case so no need for anything you don't like:giggle:
  • The market place is for full members only although it could generate revenue

• So, with all these red lines, my simple view is leave well alone, you are knocking on a bit, set in your ways to a certain extent, have a lovely family, why put yourself through the hassle of trying to grow awareness, you not going to shows, your not sweating over the magazine deadline anymore, you are confident the site is set for the next 20 years, why not just settle back, go and see Eddie and enjoy life even more. The additional effort might be worth it if more hits, more members, more sales through marketplace, makes it a more attractive acquisition prospect or necessary for your retirement income, however, if it is a simple mission to make more people aware for the satisfaction that brings, then I would reconsider how much effort I was prepared to put in, not that I wouldn't keep pushing, just not make it my mission

Responses in the order you made them.

The magazine was far too much work, but then magazine reading is in serious decline anyway, so it did feel like flogging a dead horse. And the crunch came in that 18 months after Covid. No dealers were advertising as people were bidding on what little stock they hadn't sold so I was working for nothing.

Warners shows seem to attract the same 2000 people and have never been good for club promotion, I think the most we ever signed up on a weekend show was less than twenty. We did trade shows only for the benefit of existing members. The MCC are at every show, yet according to their accounts their membership goes down every year.

The lefties thing was a joke, I don't care about a funsters political persuasion

People will move on from TikTok just like they did from Bebo, Myspace, Vine, Friendster and Facebook. Who knows what will be the popular social media next year, let alone in 10 years.

What motorhomes do your son and daughter own? The way prices are going; youngsters can't afford them.

Personally, I'm not a fan of podcasts. I lose patience with the banality quite fast, never listened to Matt. He seems quite professional in most things he does though so maybe it's a good one. If I ever find myself with an hour with absolutely nothing to do, I might have a listen

This place is easily good for another 20 years minimum, 3000 new members this year already and the traffic in the charts above speaks for itself.

I'm not really interested in making money from Funsters classifieds, and I'd rather keep Funsters safer than open it up to everyone.

I will never retire like Eddie has. :D I've spent 4 hours this Sunday morning working on our new events module, that already has thousands of man hours in, and is just one of the ongoing projects to keep this as the very best motorhome place for years to come. And of course Starlink allows me to run this place from anywhere.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Personally, I'm not a fan of podcasts. I lose patience with the banality quite fast
Seconded.

[Old Git Mode] Just don't see the point, any more than I regularly watch youtube videos. Indeed I find it infuriating that you buy something that comes with a youtube link rather than a manual. I know other disagree and take great delight in posting them here, but I just skip past. If someone posts one in one of the humour threads, I never watch. I listen to the radio, on any channel and they continually advertise blogs on subjects I am not remotely interested in. If it's that that interesting put it out as a proper programme. Sorry if that puts me in the old fogey category. [/Old Git Mode]

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Responses in the order you made them.

The magazine was far too much work, but then magazine reading is in serious decline anyway, so it did feel like flogging a dead horse. And the crunch came in that 18 months after Covid. No dealers were advertising as people were bidding on what little stock they hadn't sold so I was working for nothing.

Warners shows seem to attract the same 2000 people and have never been good for club promotion, I think the most we ever signed up on a weekend show was less than twenty. We did trade shows only for the benefit of existing members. The MCC are at every show, yet according to their accounts their membership goes down every year.

The lefties thing was a joke, I don't care about a funsters political persuasion

People will move on from TikTok just like they did from Bebo, Myspace, Vine, Friendster and Facebook. Who knows what will be the popular social media next year, let alone in 10 years.

What motorhomes do your son and daughter own? The way prices are going; youngsters can't afford them.

Personally, I'm not a fan of podcasts. I lose patience with the banality quite fast, never listened to Matt. He seems quite professional in most things he does though so maybe it's a good one. If I ever find myself with an hour with absolutely nothing to do, I might have a listen

This place is easily good for another 20 years minimum, 3000 new members this year already and the traffic in the charts above speaks for itself.

I'm not really interested in making money from Funsters classifieds, and I'd rather keep Funsters safer than open it up to everyone.

I will never retire like Eddie has. :D I've spent 4 hours this Sunday morning working on our new events module, that already has thousands of man hours in, and is just one of the ongoing projects to keep this as the very best motorhome place for years to come. And of course Starlink allows me to run this place from anywhere.

Jim

I think that post of yours argues for the Status Quo.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
There is no status quo. You have no idea how angry I get every time I pass a van without a Funster sticker on display. One day..... :D

Sorry Jim I did not know that in contributing my annual subscription I was agreeing to display a sticker OR contributing to your anger.

I have a solution - if you see my MH just do not pass, stick right behind me. :LOL:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I've never been to a show, or stayed over at major events, I like chatting to people and go to plenty other get togethers or meets like motorbikes, or sports club meets, but dunno what it is about the motorhomers i have met on my travels over 15 years or so.

I have met loads of mh owners who run over to you before ive even levelled up.... and just wanna tell you how great their rig is, talk general chit chat about theyve been to elevenerife, and tell you that your bike rack should be on a different way to save 0.0001.p of fuel or blinds should be closed to keep inside cool oh and what do you do for work because I taught Jeff bezios everything he knows.

To them it's helpful I suppose..are shows really all that ???

On this forum is far more helpful and not all about me me me..(mostly). :LOL:

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I've spent 4 hours this Sunday morning working on our new events module, that already has thousands of man hours in, and is just one of the ongoing projects to keep this as the very best motorhome place for years to come. And of course Starlink allows me to run this place from anywhere.
Beyond all doubt, I think we can all agree, this is the very best place for motorhome owners. With a major project in the pipeline and a number of ongoing projects, slowing down is definitely not the right option for you, in the meanwhile I'll soak it up for you🏖️:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Not a fan of stickers on my motorhome ....though I often wonder how many of the motorhomes I see on the road are MHF members.

I am tempted to add Motorhome Fun UK Member over the top of the Brownhills sticker on my reg plate ..... SWMS has a cricut machine so it will look professional .... If I can get into her good books..?

Hubby doesn't like stickers either....but I reckon I could convince him that a number plate one would be OK. Even better would be a UK one with the MHF logo above it (instead of the flag) that goes on the left side of the plate.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
It all depends on what you personally think the forum should deliver to you, some people just want technical motorhome related info, others like travel information and tips of where to go, others like the social aspect and interaction with like minded people, some like banter, but then banter can be divisive and our leader doesn’t really like that.
I am besides this forum a member of two Ducati forums, one is the busiest Ducati forum in the world, the members are from all over the world and has a lot of varied content, moderation is not by any means as strict as here but still too strict for some, the second forum is much smaller, and the gang on there really love the banter and anything goes, hardly any moderation but the people on the forum appreciate it for what it is. They both manage on a 5 pound membership fee, so not restrictive for people on a budget
Forums are all different, people are all different, I personally have no issue with discussing any subject, we don’t have to agree with everyone but play the ball, not the person🤷🏻‍♂️

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
There are people on here that don’t have a motorhome yet or don’t intend to get one, let’s not forget we have caravan owners on here too so there really is something for everyone, it’s the chat and banter that does it for me and if I can learn something then that’s a bonus…🍻

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
THE BEST MOTORHOME CLUB 🤷‍♀️

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
There is no status quo. You have no idea how angry I get every time I pass a van without a Funster sticker on display. One day..... :D

Jim

When I sent you the money for the MHF yearbook I asked for a couple of stickers so I could put one on the moho but none came so I can’t 😜😉

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Actually I own that domain :D. But why would I want to change the name of the most successful motorhome forum in the UK. We just need to let more people know we're here. Not change it.
It was yourself who said that nobody had heard of Fun......

It's successful because of the way you run it - the name doesn't help

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I would simply use the domain name to point at Fun, maybe with a unique page.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back