Lots of travelling, meeting lot's of people and I always ask! And you know what? It's amazing how many people have never heard of MotorhomeFun! (2 Viewers)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm on a mission to rectify this.

First up and I've been delving into our analytics. It appears we are doing OK. I tested ourselves against Warners Out and about Live. and Practical Motorhome. Warners traffic is high because they cover both motorhomes and the caravan space and have a number of successful mags pulling people in they have forums and shows. Also Practical motorhome have a mag and forums. We trounce these competitors in nearly every metric, so we're getting a lot right. But I need to work on a strategy to make us better known in the Motorhome community.

For those interested..Here are those stats.

1713603595245.png

1713603617244.png

1713603649296.png

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’m amazed when I speak to other motorhomers about MHF and they don’t know about it, I tell them all about it and wait for a mention…

I suppose when your on the forum every day it seems natural to think that everyone else is, I do…😆😎

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Impressive stats for MHF but you've sussed the reason for the difference in rankings in the magazine availabilty. While most of us have long since given up buying advert heavy mags after the initial enthusiasm newcomers will be avidly reading anything and everything which keeps these companies at the forefront of the industry, and of course, it's ongoing. Same with the shows, as old hands bemoan the number of stallholders doing the events the newbies will know no different and see the big boys still there handing out free mags and pushing their products. Not sure what the answer is but I'm glad I found the best motorhome forum 14 odd years ago.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
When I ask if folks I meet if they’re on the Motorhome Fun Forum, the following are typical responses:

• Ohh, I don’t do Facebook
  • yes, I think so but I’m on a lot of different (Facebook) groups
  • yes, but it was a long time ago and I don’t really bother with those things

Very occasionally, I’ll get a hit but probably only about one in ten.

Ian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It amazes me how often a google search for motorhome related things brings up MHF so regularly as top or very near top answer

But equally amazes me how few stickers we see on MH’s unless on a rally , but I guess a good few members may not have a sticker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Get that sticker on the back panel.

As a generality, we travel slower than cars and our 'Brand' would be seen
and understood by more people when travelling.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I understand the work involved but withdrawing the tea tent is taking away a physical presence at events

As our late Queen said you have to be seen to be believed.

This is the only forum I'm on. If it had not been for seeing with my own eyes what went on my addiction to the sight may have weaned.

Look at Britstops how many on here are no longer subscribing . Me it's not the cash but the withdrawal of the book.

There are still people out there that don't want to stare at a screen. But enjoy the experience of holding a book/mag .

I think most of us mention MHF to fellow travellers.

Maybe get on one of those MH goes wrong tacky TV programs

With my little to no experience of marketing honestly have no idea.

But if you would like me to have a big yellow smiley MHF face on the sides of my van .I'd be up for it :giggle:

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
You're doing well, loads of forums are struggling against the trend for social media based platforms and are becoming very quiet.

Have you thought about expanding into YouTube videos, how about partnerships with private campsites that could offer discounts, waste disposal to members only.

Tbh I think you have an excellent business but to make more money your going to need to bring on board people and ideas that I'm guessing will not suit your demographic. (Influencers and partnerships with businesses)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Not a fan of stickers on my motorhome ....though I often wonder how many of the motorhomes I see on the road are MHF members.

I am tempted to add Motorhome Fun UK Member over the top of the Brownhills sticker on my reg plate ..... SWMS has a cricut machine so it will look professional .... If I can get into her good books..?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The Motorhome Fun forum lives in cyberspace.

Motorhome Fun stickers on vans live in the "real" world.

I suspect many folk are not in both places.

My daughter didn't want to become too active on Fun because she hated the label "Funster"!...

But she loved the old Motorhome Fun badge that had "Official Dealer" under the smiley face logo!!!!

Apparently she was approached by many, many folk at the night clubs she used to hang out in!

The logo meant a different thing to non motorhomers

JJ :cool:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I would suggest the self promotion route.
The Telegraph on a Saturday (and the Mail I think) used to have a "Holiday" section of 32 pages or something similar.
A section each week in there of "Motorhome News" from the leading internet Forum owner along the lines of the hints and tips that have been put up over the years (therefore not too much work) might gain some traffic especially if you were allowed an advert each week under the article.
An introductory rate for a month which is splashed all over the FB sites. Perhaps a free month instead of the 5 posts.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
The Motorhome Fun forum lives in cyberspace.

Motorhome Fun stickers on vans live in the "real" world.

I suspect many folk are not in both places.

My daughter didn't want to become too active on Fun because she hated the label "Funster"!...

But she loved the old Motorhome Fun badge that had "Official Dealer" under the smiley face logo!!!!

Apparently she was approached by many, many folk at the night clubs she used to hang out in!

The logo meant a different thing to non motorhomers

JJ :cool:
Yes in the 60s and 70 it was a sign of the 'highlife'
:giggle:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I would suggest the self promotion route.
The Telegraph on a Saturday (and the Mail I think) used to have a "Holiday" section of 32 pages or something similar.
A section each week in there of "Motorhome News" from the leading internet Forum owner along the lines of the hints and tips that have been put up over the years (therefore not too much work) might gain some traffic especially if you were allowed an advert each week under the article.
An introductory rate for a month which is splashed all over the FB sites. Perhaps a free month instead of the 5 posts.
I like the free posts . Free month would give too many dodgy characters access to the classifieds
I feel safe using them under the scrutiny of Jim

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder how many MHF Members joined to be part of a 'Club' of members with a mutual interest, rather than to be a 'customer' of a business? It is taken it for granted that clubs have expenses and need subscriptions, but I do not expect those to be considered as profiting a business.

The reason I ask is that there is a lot of criticism of CCC and C&MC of ceasing to be a 'club' for members and operating more like a business. There have also been numerous cancellation of memberships of both of those Clubs citing the business trend as being the reason.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well, I have to say, for the first time ever, I am greatly disappointed in our valiant leader!:notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2:

He should have sacked the lot of us years ago as we're, apparently, failing miserably in the marketing department!
:Eeek::whistle2::giggler:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm on a Murvi Club rally at the moment. There are about 30 'vans here and I think I'm the only MHF member.

However, I am the Club newsletter editor so I guess I need to add something to the next edition... :)

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Get some bigger advertising and ask or £pay some members to advertise mhf on their vans.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think the best way to promote it is the refer a friend idea. I would also approach dealerships and offer a month free membership to people who buy a motorhome. Produce a magazine type promotional literature with interesting features like help and support with all things motorhomes, an explanation of the words used with motorhomes, and a travel blog etc. These are the things that bring people to fun and make them want to stay. They are also what most people buy mags for to learn about the hobby. Put this literature in those dealerships in the scheme. It also gives them an opportunity to advertise on the forum to their core audience

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
I'm always telling people about Motorhome Fun even in supermarkets, at wakes etc. It is surprising that some people haven't hurd of it.

If I search on Google motorhome related Motorhome fun always is up there in the searches.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have often said in other threads , we think we are the whole motorhomers and we are way off it, the vast majority are not on here, it is very rare to meet another one, and even then most of the ones I have seen with a sticker deny knowing anything about it, and say it was already on or something.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
How many members do we have…??

But there is only around 100 regular posters and around 50 every day posters, yes there’s a lot that are on here regularly but look who’s are the main ones replying all the time… and you can’t count the morning thread as they are in there own little world…😆

We need more participation from members…🍻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back