Lenny's Modding the new Mini Gin Palace (12 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Got the Multiplus mounted and started sorting out the wiring, taken out the CBS charger and put a Victron Orion XS in it's place as I don't thing much of the Schaudt B2B looking at using it just for the fridge.

IMG_20240624_175312614_HDR.jpg

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Finally got around to starting a thread, at least it will stop you lot nagging me.
I've been a bit busy with daughter visiting from Thailand and fitting in the Hereford Rally a few days after getting the van.

This van is giving me a lot of earache, someone keeps going on about has small & cramped it is.

A few pics of the poky little van, to be honest apart from a few niggles the build quality so much better than the Hymers we have had, makes it look like Hymers were built in the Lada factory. :giggle:

View attachment 920877View attachment 920878

The posy cushions they supply are quite nice but not very practical.
View attachment 920876View attachment 920879View attachment 920880View attachment 920881View attachment 920884View attachment 920885

Dash is quite nice apart from the steering wheel being on the wrong side.
View attachment 920886View attachment 920887
Why have you got the chopping board on top of the lavvy. 🥴🤭

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The seal on the front of the roof which seals the cab area to the roof, I remember someone many years ago telling me his Carthago A class leaked and it was a very complicated construction in that area.
On other top end German A class it is just a simple straight sealing strip/tape which is easily sorted.

He had to take his back to Carthago in Germany he said to get sorted. I wonder if it’s the same construction? Oh r have they changed it?
Similar to Hymer and most A class, it's got a 10 year water ingress warranty providing I get ripped off for the annual damp check/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why does the Multiplus have a Starter battery connection?
To charge the starter battery, why else. :LOL:
It will charge the starter battery all the time the hab batteries are connected.

I will still fit a Ablemail battery maintainer as I can't see the point of having the Multiplus running if the van is just sitting on the drive.
That is the reason for fitting the 10 ohm resistor so I can pre-charge the capacitors in the Multiplus when it's been off for a while, big inverters don't like being switched off & on it doesn't do the capacitors much good if connected directly to the batteries.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Bedding from the old van it doesn't suit this one, & doesn't fit. I will have to get the sewing machine out and make some new fitted sheets in a more subdued colour.
Whilst you have the sewing machine out you could make a few pairs of shorts out of the old bedding!!(y)

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don’t think I could live with the loo/shower arrangement.
It actually works very well gives quite a large shower, I just need to fit some hooks on the back of the door for towels & some hooks with suckers for flannels.
Why have you got the chopping board on top of the lavvy. 🥴🤭
Jealous, just because you haven't got one. :LOL:

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Nice van Lenny if a little small think me a Misses D would have a serious bout of cabin fever in something so compacted.

The Malibu had exactly the same small table 😂 changed it to this worked much better, ps still have the table top and adjustable leg 😉

IMG_20230506_114500.jpg

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Nice van Lenny if a little small think me a Misses D would have a serious bout of cabin fever in something so compacted.
You know how small Mi is and she keeps giving me earache about how tight the lounge is but does make driving easy.
Where did you get the table top from?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You know how small Mi is and she keeps giving me earache about how tight the lounge is but does make driving easy.
Where did you get the table top from?
Always surprises me that you don't build your own from scratch, then everything would be as you want it from the start instead of buying dear vans and changing everything.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Always surprises me that you don't build your own from scratch, then everything would be as you want it from the start instead of buying dear vans and changing everything.
Wouldn't cost much less and I'd never finish it. My chippying skills are way down my list of skills.
Just a decent spec Ducato panel van is £65 to £70k these days.
Irrelevant really decided we couldn't live with a PVC and I don't think I would stand a chance at building an A Class.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wouldn't cost much less and I'd never finish it. My chippying skills are way down my list of skills.
Just a decent spec Ducato panel van is £65 to £70k these days.
Irrelevant really decided we couldn't live with a PVC and I don't think I would stand a chance at building an A Class.
So is this one you have now wider than a van ? As it seems very narrow

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
First mod was the step well mat as I found out the hard way nothing holds it in place, first time in the van at the dealers as I got out I went flying out the door, flipping dangerous.

A length of unequal channel alloy sorted that, unequal channel as then I could fit it using the original screws for the foot well.

View attachment 920905View attachment 920906View attachment 920907
Did much the same on ours, although my fix was to change it to fine ribbed rubber using the carpet stuff as a template, works fine and easy to clean - Left the passenger door footwell as carpet - we got two sets of "door mats" for some reason....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's a little wider but it had twin beds over a large garage and the abeyance inside of an A Class with the large screen. Things you just can't do in a PVC.
Is it possible to buy part done vans and finish them to your own spec?

Jan 16, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008
Lovely van. I have an older one that still had the table and jump seat in it. As there are just two of us I got rid of the jump seat and put in a table which gives me a bit more food prep space.

image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back