Lenny's Modding the new Mini Gin Palace (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Didn't know they go yellow.
Mine has went yellow but above the line the porcelain bit fits in. It seems to be around the flush outlet on Mine.

I.read that bicarbonate of soda mixed with white vinegar is supposes to clean it. But not found Any bicarbonate yet to try it

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Mine has went yellow but above the line the porcelain bit fits in. It seems to be around the flush outlet on Mine.

I.read that bicarbonate of soda mixed with white vinegar is supposes to clean it. But not found Any bicarbonate yet to try it
I would try a bit of milton diluted 10/1 with with water.

Picked up some home brew tubs a few years ago that looked impossible to remove the similar type staining, brilliant white after about 15 minutes. Never tried it in the van toilet but just cant see too much difference. Obviously wash it after

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Waste pipe was in a stupid place behind the rear wheel. Prime target when reversing the overhang over kerbs & for collecting muck off the rear wheel.

Well it's not any more moved it to in front of the wheel.

IMG_20240817_175819581.jpg
IMG_20240817_175840125.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Waste pipe was in a stupid place behind the rear wheel. Prime target when reversing the overhang over kerbs & for collecting muck off the rear wheel.

Well it's not any more moved it to in front of the wheel.
Ain't you got any mudflaps Lenny. 😄

Totally agree about kerbs though!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm pondering whether to mention the waste pipe mod to hubby or not. 🤔

Do I really need another job to do? 🤪

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Even with mud flaps mine gets mucky, did you have to extend the pipe?
Yep about 6", there was convienant hole in chassis to mount the bracket at exactly the right height.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Lenny HB Electrics looking good, each to their own with van size though, I'm pleased that you re happy with it but I struggle with the circular seating in the smaller Cathargos because I can never seem to sit straight.

I'm interested to know what cable size you used from Battery to Multiplus? Ours has 95mm welding cable for an 1800w inverter running about 1.5m, which I could easily reduce to 1m, seems a bit over the top for the job and I would like to tidy it up a bit.
If you look at victron book "wiring unlimited" and at every inverter manual, the recommendation in ALL cases, is to keep losses under and up to 1% on 12v, under and up to 2% on 24v and 3% on 48v.
Imagine a 3% loss on a 1000w load, your cable becomes a 30w heater, and will transfer that heat to anything around it, including the terminals.
Also where a large cable is required, in all the inverters are two terminals for each line provided. Why ? Because 2x 35 instead of 1x 70, it has a larger surface area combined, therefore a better heat dissipation, resulting in a higher cable rating for the same cross section. A cable in free air has better rating than same cable in conduit, or buried under the floor.

In your specific case, if it's already installed leave it be. If interferes, and you benefit in any way by reducing it, then 2x35mm2 or 1x70 for each leg, that would be my lowest margin. When I calculate cable loss, I take in consideration cost, method of installation, and max working temperature 30C.

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
. Moved it about an inch forward but that was to clear the under floor box.
Why do you need to reach it?
I don’t if it’s a drive over dump but mine came with a short flexible extension to attach to a drain pipe.
We stayed on a site in Spain last winter for a week in our previous van, it had a grey waste drain on the pitch making it a convenient option when stopping more than a day or two.
Some of the farm fields we’ve stopped at allow draining into hedge backs. Just avoids carrying waste around and finding somewhere to dump.
The Colapz flexible drain pipes are very handy for this and take up minimal space in the garage.

Nice mods to the van by the way!!

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don’t if it’s a drive over dump but mine came with a short flexible extension to attach to a drain pipe.
We stayed on a site in Spain last winter for a week in our previous van, it had a grey waste drain on the pitch making it a convenient option when stopping more than a day or two.
Some of the farm fields we’ve stopped at allow draining into hedge backs. Just avoids carrying waste around and finding somewhere to dump.
The Colapz flexible drain pipes are very handy for this and take up minimal space in the garage.

Nice mods to the van by the way!!
Got a 9m Henry vac hose don't need to get under the van to fit it as it has a long tube on the end that easily pushes in the outlet. The flexable pipe Carthago give you is useless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When I calculate cable loss, I take in consideration cost, method of installation, and max working temperature 30C.
Basically what I did. I should have used 95 or 2 x 50 mm² but that would have been impossible to get through the van & the cost would have been pretty high.
So I went for 70mm² which gives me 2% volt drop at the maximum load I'm likely to use. Took into account that the voltage on Lithium does not drop off under load as much as lead and I assume Victron's recommendations are based on lead.

In hindsite now I have found out how to get cables through the van I'd would have proberly used 2 x 35mm².

Anyway when charging at 90 amps cable gets just a bit warm and when using the air fryer at 125 amps the duty cycle is so short the cable barely gets much above ambient.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Finally got around to starting a thread, at least it will stop you lot nagging me.
I've been a bit busy with daughter visiting from Thailand and fitting in the Hereford Rally a few days after getting the van.

This van is giving me a lot of earache, someone keeps going on about has small & cramped it is.

A few pics of the poky little van, to be honest apart from a few niggles the build quality so much better than the Hymers we have had, makes it look like Hymers were built in the Lada factory. :giggle:

View attachment 920877View attachment 920878

The posy cushions they supply are quite nice but not very practical.
View attachment 920876View attachment 920879View attachment 920880View attachment 920881View attachment 920884View attachment 920885

Dash is quite nice apart from the steering wheel being on the wrong side.
View attachment 920886View attachment 920887
Lovely looking piece of kit

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Finally got around to modding the gas filler. When the dealer swapped my gas bottles over not only did they fit the filler in the locker they said it was beond their capabilities to fit it outside. The last place I want a filler is inside the locker and certainly not at eye level, flipping dangerous. Also they used the 10 year old filler pipe for the old van to connect the two bottles & they hadn't a clue how to do up the buckles on the retaining straps so the bottles were lose.

All sorted, now new filler pipe between bottles, fitted the gas filters from the old van with new filter cartridges and an external filler point.

IMG_20240616_113629287_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240826_145706852_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240826_145716495_HDR.jpg

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Finally got around to modding the gas filler. When the dealer swapped my gas bottles over not only did they fit the filler in the locker they said it was beond their capabilities to fit it outside. The last place I want a filler is inside the locker and certainly not at eye level, flipping dangerous. Also they used the 10 year old filler pipe for the old van to connect the two bottles & they hadn't a clue how to do up the buckles on the retaining straps so the bottles were lose.

All sorted, now new filler pipe between bottles, fitted the gas filters from the old van with new filter cartridges and an external filler point.

View attachment 940423View attachment 940424View attachment 940425
Tidy 👍

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

We have the same filler, find it much easier to screw in the eu variant adapters.
It is also a smaller hole in the skirt.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.

Lenny, have you still got the same van. Just wondering as the amount of mods you have done i'm thinking it must be a different van now.:unsure::whistle:

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Lenny, have you still got the same van. Just wondering as the amount of mods you have done i'm thinking it must be a different van now.:unsure::whistle:
Hardly got started. :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back