Lenny's Heading South, not a Clue Where.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Nope, Iberian pork is free range and eats naturally in the 'dehesas' of the Spanish countryside. They mostly eat acorns which gives the meat the exclusive taste that it has. If you have never tried it you haven't lived.
Certainly sounds a lot better than normal Spanish pork.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Maybe I replied to the wrong post. Hers has a bone and looks like pork knuckle, yours has several bones and looks like ribs. 😂
That was a few days ago it was that and both very nice.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Nope, Iberian pork is free range and eats naturally in the 'dehesas' of the Spanish countryside. They mostly eat acorns which gives the meat the exclusive taste that it has. If you have never tried it you haven't lived.
I'm relieved you posted that. I've always understood this to be the case, and based on this, it's the only pork we will eat.👍

Helen Ariel

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I'm relieved you posted that. I've always understood this to be the case, and based on this, it's the only pork we will eat.👍
Only if you get the high end free range stuff. There are many different grades of pork in Spain with different coloured packs to indicate the type. Anything served in a bog standard restaurant or as free or cheap tapas will not be free range. Iberico is just the breed and the vast majority will be from intensive indoor facilities sadly. We drove through a part of central Spain where we saw masses of these windowless units and it did make me think about all the free tapas we'd just consumed down in Granada.

If buying ham these are the grades to look for:

Feeding tipe of iberian pigs​

If we follow the classification according to the kind of feed, we will obtain 3 categories:
  • Bellota: This type of Spanish ham comes from pigs which have been fed with acorns and pasture until they reach 50 kilos weight. This is the highest quality ham. Depending on the percentage of Iberian breed, the color of its label is black (for those 100%) or red (for those 50%).
  • Cebo de Campo: This type of Spanish ham comes from pigs which has been feed with both pasture and feeding stuffs. Those are raised in big places so that the pork is able to move and thus obtaining better quality hams. The color of its label is dark green, regardless of the purity breed's pig.
  • Cebo: This type of Spanish hams comes from pigs that have exclusively been fed with feed stuffs. The colour of its label is white, despite the purity of the Iberian breed as it happens with "Cebo de Campo" hams.

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Only if you get the high end free range stuff. There are many different grades of pork in Spain with different coloured packs to indicate the type. Anything served in a bog standard restaurant or as free or cheap tapas will not be free range. Iberico is just the breed and the vast majority will be from intensive indoor facilities sadly.
What are the different colours please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Martin closest jumar .

IMG_20241009_102403_copy_774x1400.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thank you for that information Helen Ariel .
It really makes me sad when I see all those intensive pig farms.😪
Driving near Salisbury I passed a field full of sows and cute piglets. There was a huge Pig Marketing Board banner along the hedgerow :
:crying: :crying:

1728480310241.png

Last edited:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I hope this is as good as recommended 😉👍

View attachment 959922

Well I can safely say that it’s a lovely creamy texture but in our opinion a bit tasteless, the very centre where the blue is, is ok but the rest is just ok.

Would we buy it again, possibly but i’m pretty sure we’ve had a lot more tastier cheeses.

Unlike the other block the missus bought in Germany which is a completely tasteless rubbery load of crap. I’d post a photo but it went in the bin lol.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Al n Val I agree with you. I'm not really impressed. I've bought it a few times because it looks so attractive but I always forget, between trips abroad, that I don't really like it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back