Jane & Rog Plod to Portugal (14 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
What I’m less sure about is if those arms are strong enough. ABS has a good Young’s modulus of 2.8 GPa: well able to resist the forces Jane’s arm can produce or that of an egg shell when a point force is applied (we will approximate Jane’s teaspoon as a conic body for ease of calculation). However 3d printing introduces layers into any object which lower the Young’s modulus through a combination of imperfect adhesion and small sharp corners at boundaries concentrating stress.

We will of course report back on usage of the egg cup and any yolk related spillage resulting from catastrophic delamination of egg support arms.
:yawn2: :giggler:

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The egg cup is made from acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (commonly known as ABS) it’s the same stuff that Lego bricks and probably a lot of the dash and plastic trim of your van is made of. As I’m sure you know all 3d printing filaments are thermoplastics and ABS is no exception. It’s glass transition temperature - the temperature at which is becomes malleable and deforms is 105C - which is why you can’t dissolve a LEGO brick in your tea and why Jane’s morning egg - assuming it ever exists - will not melt the egg cup.

What I’m less sure about is if those arms are strong enough. ABS has a good Young’s modulus of 2.8 GPa: well able to resist the forces Jane’s arm can produce or that of an egg shell when a point force is applied (we will approximate Jane’s teaspoon as a conic body for ease of calculation). However 3d printing introduces layers into any object which lower the Young’s modulus through a combination of imperfect adhesion and small sharp corners at boundaries concentrating stress.

We will of course report back on usage of the egg cup and any yolk related spillage resulting from catastrophic delamination of egg support arms.
All very well but me 'Ed "urts now:LOL:

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Well, I’m afraid that’s it. I’ve got to stop this blog right now, because it’s impossible to think that we’ll do anything this holiday that’s more exciting than today’s lunch.

IMG_9838.jpeg

Yes, the egg cup was used! Just look how happy I am.

I’m pleased to report that nothing melted or broke. The only issue was that cup is super light so I had to hold it while applying my spoon to cut the top off. It needs setting in a block of concrete or something.

In other lunch news, Rog did not join me in a boiled egg, but did have some delicious pressed pig’s head and local cheese. Luckily I spotted an educational poster in the supermarket, so he can be sure to cut the latter correctly.

IMG_0446.jpeg

We are staying the night at Camping St Martin, on the Atlantic coast at Moliets-et-Maa, where we got an ASCI spot for just over 20€. All nice and good but they force you to wear a wristband. Rog was not happy!

IMG_9839.jpeg

Flynn’s little doggy mind was blown by the direct access to the beach…

IMG_9840.jpeg

Well, mine was too to be fair. It was a lovely coastline, the weather was fantastic, and we had a good walk northwards up the beach and the Courant d’Huchet (a river trying to get past the dunes to the sea).

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

Then we back tracked through the forest and into town, where we scoped out the restaurants and indulged in an ice-cream. Only about my third this year, standards are really slipping. Must try harder. Anyway, they were delicious - rum and raisin for sir and lemon meringue for me. Mine was excellent as for once the lemon was tart and lemony enough to withstand the meringue.

Back at the van, our first game of Scrawlopolis. Not convinced, feels more like a puzzle to play on your own.

IMG_0462.jpeg

After a drink at l’Océan…

IMG_0464.jpeg

… we ended up eating there as most of the other restaurants we’d seen earlier were actually closing from lunch - not just for a break, but for the day. Probably until summer 2025.

Luckily the food was excellent. Razor clams and the untranslatable “graisserons” to start, and then squid and Basque rice, and croustillant de pied de cochon (pig’s foot thingy) for me. Although we actually ended up sharing them, pretty much.

IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

When the waiter came with the bill, we realised he spoke English, so tried to decode the graisserons. With a bit of that and my request for “simple French” we found out that it was pork in duck fat, a local delicacy apparently. All very good anyway.

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Wrist bands! :eek: Is that an "all-inclusive" camp site then?
It’s for security reasons because of the open beach access. We did complain to the reception chap, but he just said that we were putting up with it for just one night, and I thought, yeah, fair enough. Didn’t want to move on, did want the services, and apart from a little red wristband it’s been great.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back