Iveco Daily Engine question (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi all, started my van up the other day. started no problem then about 30 seconds in it died and now wont start.

I've checked fuel, it has some. Engine turning over but not catching. No warning lights

I'm thinking one of the following:

Lift Pump
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Random fuse
crankshaft sensor wiring
Injectors
Act of god

I have previously had random cut-outs under acceleration and the EDC light comes on but if i turn on and off it restarts. I did get that checked out and garage stated there was an error with a crankshaft sensor. they replaced that.... still an issue

this is new and I am too stubborn to get it recovered to a garage without exhausting obvious easy fixes!!

Any help would be appreciated. I can fix most things but have never really dealt with diesel engines.

its the 3 litre version if that helps

Thanks in advance

Paul

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Does the Crash-cutout, usually found on the passenger side footwell, need resetting?
Could you elaborate on that one a bit more please Owen, and would you know from what model year onward, would that cutout have been fitted?

Ours is 2006 and LHD, and it's not something I am aware of. :(

Thanks,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Could you elaborate on that one a bit more please Owen, and would you know from what model year onward, would that cutout have been fitted?

Ours is 2006 and LHD, and it's not something I am aware of. :(

Thanks,

It's a inertia switch fitted to all most, if not all vehicles it cuts the fuel supply in the event of a accident generally found in the footwell but don't know on a A class but Google should be your friend

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Sounds like a problem I recently had with a Renault horsebox. Driving home into the drive and it died. Managed to coast to a safe place. Would turn but not fire. Checked battery for alternator working ok. Filter check free from debris. Could hear lift pump running in tank so took rail off and no fuel. Immediate thought was HP pump or cam related. But turned out to be a rail pressure sensor easily checked with a multi meter thanks to YouTube.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It's a inertia switch fitted to all most, if not all vehicles it cuts the fuel supply in the event of a accident generally found in the foot well but don't know on a A class but Google should be your friend
I've seen many in an engine compartment Dave, but never come across one in a passenger footwell. :Eeek:

Cheers,

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Sorry about arriving late Jock, but us oldies need our beauty sleep. :giggle:

My 2007 Ducato RHD has it tucked up in the passenger footwell, which in your LHD is probably drivers side.

It's not easy to see and to reset, you have to press (on mine, really hard) a button in.
As said by Ditcha it's called the inertia button, try 'search' on the Blue banner, there must be something I would have thought?

Good Luck!

EDIT: Just had a look in 'search' and found nothing helpful, my next search would be on 'Fiat Forum' or even, the vehicle handbook. :giggle:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Inertia switches are often fitted inside vehicles, like the ducatos, where it is under the glove box.

To the OP do you have an immobiliser? Does it have a indicator light ?

It sounds to me that it isn’t getting fuel, so fuel pump, or fuel solenoid. That is why it starts, runs briefly, then dies each time. These are often what is wired to the immobiliser to isolate the vehicle. I’m not familiar with your vehicle and if it has a fuel solenoid or pump.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Inertia switches are often fitted inside vehicles, like the ducatos, where it is under the glove box.

It sounds to me that it isn’t getting fuel, so fuel pump, or fuel solenoid. That is why it starts, runs briefly, then dies each time. These are often what is wired to the immobiliser to isolate the vehicle. I’m not familiar with your vehicle and if it has a fuel solenoid or pump.
In the good old days, in a situation like this, one would just change the diesel filter, blow back the fuel line, connect up and after bleeding, GO!

Ahhh......the good old times! :LOL:

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
In my manual for 2022 3LT only stop start engines have an inertia device, which is fitted on the bulkhead inline with the left/passenger seat - if an A class I think it would be difficulkt to reach so may be repositioned - mine is not stop start so cant check.....

I would try to find someone with a fault code reader I think!

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Mines an Iveco chassis and engine - - Not sure if it would have changed between 2006 and 2022 though. Tried to compare the engine repair manuals, but I could only see a small part of the 2006 manual on line although I do have a pdf copy of the "New Daily" manual -

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Mines an Iveco chassis and engine - - Not sure if it would have changed between 2006 and 2022 though. Tried to compare the engine repair manuals, but I could only see a small part of the 2006 manual on line although I do have a pdf copy of the "New Daily" manual -

As said to Jock, you may be right and I'm wrong, (it has been known, :giggle:)

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
As said to Jock, you may be right and I'm wrong, (it has been known, :giggle:)
Difficult to know without the right documentation or any warning lights or error codes. On our previous merc I had an obd2 reader, but haven't got one for this van - leaves me feeling vulnerable!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our '08 Iveco Daily packed up on us and investigations found the connector for the tank mounted lift pump had corroded so badly that the pin terminals had crumbled away to nothing. It was a poor setup on our tipper as the sender/pump unit created a small water trap that caused the problem.
Another fault is some Iveco's don't have a tank mounted lift pump, but the Bosch injector pump has a smaller lift pump "piggy backed" onto it, which is driven by a small internal shaft from the main pump (injector pump circled in white, lift pump circled in purple [ignore the Honda logo on the engine cover !] The drive end of this small shaft has been known to shear off and it's needed to supply a 3 bar minimum pressure to allow the injector pump to operate.
Also, just check that the immobiliser "padlock" symbol hasn't illuminated on the dash when the engine dies ?
20230131_105458.jpg

20221031_153137.jpg

20221031_153306.jpg

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015

Yes Sigma immobilizer. It only started the once then died and hasn't started since. Immobilizer seems to work

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Clearly I'm being thick here.. I take it easy start is something i use?

Easy start (start ya bastard branded in AUS) is a aerosol combustion agent (buy it in a can at a motor factors) which when sprayed in the air intake, airbox, inlet manifold will give you a few seconds running, so a clear indication of if the vehicle will run if it had fuel. It therefore narrows down the problem for you towards a fueling issue (could be pump, fuel rail, injectors etc) and away from other issues.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
This is my view at minute.

where abouts should i be looking for the lift pump etc? This isn't helped by the fact that i have parked the wagon really close to a fence to get it on the drive!!!!

Should i be under the wagon looking up?

20230131_120316.jpg 20230131_120334.jpg 20230131_120344.jpg

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Easy start (start ya bastard branded in AUS) is a aerosol combustion agent (buy it in a can at a motor factors) which when sprayed in the air intake, airbox, inlet manifold will give you a few seconds running, so a clear indication of if the vehicle will run if it had fuel. It therefore narrows down the problem for you towards a fueling issue (could be pump, fuel rail, injectors etc) and away from other issues.
Bonus, thanks. Ill go get a can after school run.

So if it doesn't start with a rocket up its arse then I'm likely looking at a fuel issue. Cool, thanks. I just need to know when the lift pump is etc I guess. Probably on the same side as the filler cap? or is that too obvious?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Bonus, thanks. Ill go get a can after school run.

So if it doesn't start with a rocket up its arse then I'm likely looking at a fuel issue. Cool, thanks. I just need to know when the lift pump is etc I guess. Probably on the same side as the filler cap? or is that too obvious?
It maybe a good idea to remove the air intake pipe from the manifold before you spray the easy start I down the intake pipe, also get the wife to turn the engine over at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back