Is posh diesel worth it?

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
*Read to end for result 😀

I use Repsol premium in Spain. I have the waylet app so get a discount anyway.

We have an Audi A3 1.9TDie.

It’s attains around 60 mpg so it’s no great expense. I can get from Valencia to Manchester Via Bilbao/Santander ferry on one Tank.

In the UK, I use my local Tesco for our Toyota 3.5 V6 petrol, as it needs high octane fuel and Tesco is the cheapest.

Motorhome, my car and my Van , I do use Tesco but if I am nearby and can be bothered queuing, I buy Texaco premium at Costco .

In my Van, 190 BHP Mercedes Sprinter Auto, I can feel the better response and power of posh diesel from Costco, same with the motorhome. But not in my car. Range Rover 4.4 V8 Diesel
Checked locally yesterday in Javea Spain. With the Wallet APP, you can get Repsol Premium Diesel for the same price as local discounters.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
For me it all depends who’s paying for the fill up, sometimes Mrs Westy is paying for fuel (after I’ve spent up somewhere) that’s when the shell premium goes in😉 if I’m paying It’s down to Morrisons whist I’m getting the gas👍🤭🤭

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Put in 120 litres of ESSO's best stuff yesterday just to offset the 100 litres of supermarket a week ago, didn't dare look at the price but to be fair if I was that bothered we would have something that does better than 18 mpg (French backroads and a few O abouts) :LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Deleted, something funny going on with posting :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Custom
Hoyer are a distribution company, they move fuel for many of the brands, a trailer will usually have 6 compartments each capable of holding different fuels although saying that the front and rear compartments almost always carry diesel (for safety reasons)

It wouldn’t be unusual to supply 2 different locations with different products from the same trailer.

As to Tesco selling shell fuels, it’s possible but unlikely as suppliers outside of the brands buy on price, so if Shell had a surplus of fuel and wanted rid of it then Tesco could buy it but it wouldn’t be usual practice.
Interesting thanks. All I know is my old Impreza was tuned and very sensitive to fuel. I hated everything but Shell V power- or Tesco momentum. They must be close cousins…..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I use red (which I sign for) in my Diesel heater.
I use red in my tractor. Also on the yacht, but how complex have the regulations become for sailing. RYA suggest you ensure you have receipts if your heading for EU…

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
By your logic a burger from McDonalds is the same as a burger from Gordon Ramsay as they’ve both got a bun, beef and some ketchup…

If I had evidence do you really think I’d post it on an internet forum, saying that I have been happy to give members here the benefit of my experience, some will take it and others won’t. I won’t lose any sleep over that.

As I’ve already said use whatever fuel you feel happy using.

By your logic a burger from McDonalds is the same as a burger from Gordon Ramsay as they’ve both got a bun, beef and some ketchup…

If I had evidence do you really think I’d post it on an internet forum, saying that I have been happy to give members here the benefit of my experience, some will take it and others won’t. I won’t lose any sleep over that.

As I’ve already said use whatever fuel you feel happy using.
No, I think by my logic if you got a burger from McDonald’s and they charged you £1.50, you could go to Gordon Ramsey and find he was using a McDonald’s burger but adding some of his own special secret sauce that had completely undisclosed advantages, repackaging it and selling it for £1.65 and lots of people were going round claiming that if you ate a McDonald’s burger direct from McDonald’s with no secret sauce all your medical ailments would be due to the consumption of inferior special sauce less McDonald’s burgers and you should always eat at Gordon Ramsey or at least have a Ramsey burger for every 2 or 3 McDonald’s burgers.

I guess I was hoping that after sharing your wealth of experience that you may share some details as to what the special sauce does or doesn’t do to your engine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
No, I think by my logic if you got a burger from McDonald’s and they charged you £1.50, you could go to Gordon Ramsey and find he was using a McDonald’s burger but adding some of his own special secret sauce that had completely undisclosed advantages, repackaging it and selling it for £1.65 and lots of people were going round claiming that if you ate a McDonald’s burger direct from McDonald’s with no secret sauce all your medical ailments would be due to the consumption of inferior special sauce less McDonald’s burgers and you should always eat at Gordon Ramsey or at least have a Ramsey burger for every 2 or 3 McDonald’s burgers.

I guess I was hoping that after sharing your wealth of experience that you may share some details as to what the special sauce does or doesn’t do to your engine.

I don’t think that’s what I have claimed at all.

What I have said is that Branded fuel will have a superior additive pack to those that buy on price, my experience is that you get what you pay for with Normal (as opposed to Premium) diesel.

I’ve simply shared my own experiences with those that are interested, if that’s not you then as I’ve already said use whatever you want when you fill up.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I use red in my tractor. Also on the yacht, but how complex have the regulations become for sailing. RYA suggest you ensure you have receipts if your heading for EU…
Even on a 60/40 split on pleasure marine diesel indicated on the receipt I have been charged full duty on the lot when boarded at Honfleur! No choice or arguement pay to stay or leave!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro675
Exp
Just started
I don’t think that’s what I have claimed at all.

What I have said is that Branded fuel will have a superior additive pack to those that buy on price, my experience is that you get what you pay for with Normal (as opposed to Premium) diesel.

I’ve simply shared my own experiences with those that are interested, if that’s not you then as I’ve already said use whatever you want when you fill up.
I am interested, that’s why I keep replying. I just keep referring back to your engine development experience as part of employment which suggested you may have quantifiable differences when using branded and supermarket fuels. But other that repeatedly telling me it will have a superior additive pack, you haven’t told me the advantage of that additive pack. I fully take on board that there are additive in branded fuels. I just want to know what the additives do and if they actually make any difference. I have yet to read any compelling knowledge that makes me believe branded fuels are worth the extra money, you share your opinion/experience but haven’t given any detail as to what the outcome is of that experience

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back