Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I have been delivering fuel for a major supermarket for the last 20+ years, we cannot load any product without additive, in fact our main loading terminal has a “ commercial bay” which only dispenses non addatised diesel and we cannot even load on that one.
Indeed... Supermarkets may get their own additive recipes or in some cases no additives at all. One thing is for sure they will not get the "branded" additive recipe of the major oil company that they are loading ex rack from.
When you buy from a supermarket you will never know what the additive level is, when you buy branded fuel, either in standard or super form, you are guaranteed that fuel companies level of additive.
There are many arguments for and against buying your fuel from different suppliers - its your money and you make your own choy....

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Had some glass bowls on my early D Series trucks, those were the days of hanging small paraffin heaters near the fuel line on frosty nights and a bonfire under the engine next morning!
Those were the days! 😄
When I was a nipper my dad worked for a removal & parcel delivery firm. In the holidays I used to go & help out! I remember they had an old Bull nose Austin van & in the winter it didn’t like the cold so to get it going I used to be in the cab pulling the starter handle on the floor while somebody sprayed ether in the air filter & someone cranked it with the starter handle. If this failed we had to push it on to the main road & down the hill. Never didn’t start though.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Makes no difference, the pipe is at the bottom of the tank the fuel sloshes around shaken and stired whilst driving…you also have a fuel filter for siphoning out any particulates. Should water mix with diesel you will have a colloid. Water will float to the top if you were to get anywhere near that you will have run out of fuel….
Water sinks to the bottom as it is more dense - other than that which mixes with the 5 or 10 % non - Diesel stuff.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Euro 5 and 6 have more problems due all the EGR, AD BLUE , Catalysers and extra sensors , computers etc crap that causes many of the issues .
Euro 4 and older engines are mostly Bomb proof because they are simple

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Water sinks to the bottom as it is more dense - other than that which mixes with the 5 or 10 % non - Diesel stuff.
Makes little difference, how many here talk about starship miles on their vans, if its well maintained and the filters changed most will never have an issue, good maintenance practice goes a long way both on petrol and diesel. How many here have you heard complaining they have had to drain the Fuel tank to get the water out...or stopped on the motorway due to the tank having excess water in? 0%, 00001%, 001% 1%?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
Ok, so supermarket fuels aren’t bad, but branded fuels are better, purely because of their additives. You dont point to better MPG, but from your 20+ years diesel engine manufacturing… what’s the advantage?! Honestly curious as to where the difference is. Internal fouling!? I can’t see that additives can do much other than keeping the engine clean.

Someone has asked supermarket or branded, to date we have little more than anecdotal evidence, pub talk, speculation and conjecture. Have you got anything more evidence based to prove an advantage of using additive filled more expensive fuels over base fuels from the supermarket?
By your logic a burger from McDonalds is the same as a burger from Gordon Ramsay as they’ve both got a bun, beef and some ketchup…

If I had evidence do you really think I’d post it on an internet forum, saying that I have been happy to give members here the benefit of my experience, some will take it and others won’t. I won’t lose any sleep over that.

As I’ve already said use whatever fuel you feel happy using.

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
I did acknowledge that in a previous post
It does sink to the bottom and Coolcats did indeed acknowledge that but don’t forget that the fuel in your tank is being constantly agitated as you drive by the movement of the vehicle and by the fact that over 80% of what goes into the engine makes its way back to the fuel tank.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
By your logic a burger from McDonalds is the same as a burger from Gordon Ramsay as they’ve both got a bun, beef and some ketchup…

If I had evidence do you really think I’d post it on an internet forum, saying that I have been happy to give members here the benefit of my experience, some will take it and others won’t. I won’t lose any sleep over that.

As I’ve already said use whatever fuel you feel happy using.
Phew that would be dangerous telling Gordon Ramsey his burger was just like a McDonald's one.... it would be funny for about 100th of a second

which reminded me for those who haven't seen it there is the Film "The Menu" and yes a burger is involved....

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
The supermarket fuel being lower quality is an urban myth ,, It is proven to be same quality as the Brands , it is delivered in same tankers from same refineries ,,,, Which did a recent study of this as have other consumer champions .My Brother is a fuel systems and engine designer expert scientist and he also concurs .
This could not be further from the truth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
BP and Esso don’t have a refinery. Phillips, Valero, prax, ExxonMobil, Petroineos and Essar are the refinery companies. They supply everyone…
Esso is Exxonmobil and have a refinery in Fawley, BP has a refinery in Germany and maybe others in Europe.

I believe we import Diesel from Europe as we don’t produce enough.

Oils is a global business.

Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
I have to say this is a gem! One of the best threads for ages.

I followed a Hoyer tanker last year when there were fuel shortages. It had delivered to a Shell garage in Wythenshaw near Manchester Airport and its next stop was a Tesco in Handforth. Comedy was he parked up there for the night as he needed fuel and they were shut. He had to give them their order then buy some of it to get back to home! Driver was waiting for the Mrs to get him. Not a sleeper cab… odd times. But it was nice to know that Tesco Momentum is in fact Shell V Power. I had wondered why my Subaru STi, tuned and very sensitive to fuel had run perfectly on both yet hated Esso or BP ultimate.

Now I run a Fiesta ST slightly Revo tuned. It runs on V-Poser or Momentum happy as can be but I have to wind it down on other fuel.

As to my van. Euro6 Transit Custom. ( saving for inevitable wet belt change thank you)…

It gives me a nice 42mpg at 56mph. Still 38 at 70 so not bad. I tend to use Asda cheapo diesel but Tesco once every four tanks. Worked ok so far and no issues at all.

Serviced annually and mileage not great but almost totally on the M6 between Manchester and Heysham. Yes it does drive nicer than my Subaru….. and more room in the back!
Hoyer are a distribution company, they move fuel for many of the brands, a trailer will usually have 6 compartments each capable of holding different fuels although saying that the front and rear compartments almost always carry diesel (for safety reasons)

It wouldn’t be unusual to supply 2 different locations with different products from the same trailer.

As to Tesco selling shell fuels, it’s possible but unlikely as suppliers outside of the brands buy on price, so if Shell had a surplus of fuel and wanted rid of it then Tesco could buy it but it wouldn’t be usual practice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back