How much for an Oil & Filter change

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Interested to know where you got 7l of Selinia wr forward 0w-30 from for £52? Best i could get was £81
7l ow-30 Valvoline £52 eBay if you type in your reg you will probably get the oil, filter and sump washer delivered to your door for £58...on doorstep 2 Days later

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
just paid £290 for an oil change at a Fiat approved garage to adhere to the Fiat warranty side of things, asked them about swapping my wheels around ( front to back and back to front ) quoted £110.00 ...said no and did it myself in 30 mins using standard jack at home in the road and not on a ramp ...
An absolute rip off. A Fiat Professional with ramps and equipment at hand and hopefully experience should be able to do that job in 15 mins.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Wrong oil for ducato 8 sadly, has to be Selinia.
No it doesn't as long as it meets Fiat spec

20240204_143814.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
^^^^ Exactly. Fiat may advocate that oil, but are the service centres actually using it, or just invoicing for it's use.
Mike.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
^^^^ Exactly. Fiat may advocate that oil, but are the service centres actually using it, or just invoicing for it's use.
Mike.
Would you take the chance of not using correct oil on a van if in warranty. Fiat garage will use correct oil as it in their interest as if they don't and something fails then if Fiat test oil and ots not right they are liable.

Of course doing it yourself saves cash as you not paying for your time same as decorating etc. Also garages have to pay for correct oil disposal and not just dump it plus overheads a DIY person doesn't.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Would you take the chance of not using correct oil on a van if in warranty. Fiat garage will use correct oil as it in their interest as if they don't and something fails then if Fiat test oil and ots not right they are liable.

Of course doing it yourself saves cash as you not paying for your time same as decorating etc. Also garages have to pay for correct oil disposal and not just dump it plus overheads a DIY person doesn't.
I use the correct oil as per Fiats specification, just not the oil they advocate for their own reasons. Neither do I " just dump " the used oil, it gets taken to our local recycling centre along with the used filters, and used oil clothes.
Mike.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I use the correct oil as per Fiats specification, just not the oil they advocate for their own reasons. Neither do I " just dump " the used oil, it gets taken to our local recycling centre along with the used filters, and used oil clothes.
Mike.
Exactly why i do my own oil changes - so i know its done and done right.

Guess some garages at some point may charge for but not actually do an oil change…

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Yes but they have invested heavily in the equipement
Equally i invested heavily (relatively speaking) in levellers…raises up van so that access to sump is easy…

Supported on axle stands too - before anyone cries safety….

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Mike.
And that's all free?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
And that's all free?
Free, up to so many litres, and filters. But, paid for through rates charges. I stopped using main agents when I had a VW transporter and had my van released for my use after a main service only to find, NO oil in the engine. Dangerously low brake fluid level. The battery cover had gone missing, as had the oil dip stick, professionally serviced!
If I get it wrong, its down to me.
Mike.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
Since 2008
My son works at a Land Rover main dealer as a techie.
First point is they get paid on every job card they complete. So if the job says 2.5 hours and they do it in 2 they get 2.5 hours pay.
Second point a new Defender first service is a one hour job card at a cost to customer of £625.. ( Oil, filter, “ vehicle checks”)
The techies complete 2 in an hour.
In summary the Technicians are encouraged to work quickly, and the dealers absolutely rinse the customer profit.
It’s the same in all main dealers

DT

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
I think I paid £85 for the correct named 7ltrs of engine oil maybe £15 for a filter and it took me about twenty minutes to complete plus another twenty minutes to warm the engine. I do this every 12 months or 5k miles which is my choice. How Fiat can get away with charging these ridiculous prices is beyond belief.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
So for all those that do their own oil & filters change, basically a service, do you fill in the service booklet?

Just asking for a friend 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
So for all those that do their own oil & filters change, basically a service, do you fill in the service booklet?

Just asking for a friend 🤔
No, as its not due, but given the motorhome usage, i prefer to change more regularly than Fiat prescribe

But will keep invoices for posterity

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
I've got a 2.2 Transit Citroen engine outside in a Freelander that has only had non branded oil in it for the past 15 years and it's still happy at around 240k miles.
But as I assume its out of warranty, thats not likely to be an issue? During warranty period, best to stick to Fiat approved

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I never fill the book in, I will be keeping it years and the next purchaser can have my username on here and see that I have looked after it.

I don’t believe a garage either.

I sold a car to a garage a couple of years back, it had the first 3 years servicing at Ford then nothing for 4 years in the book as I did it.

Advertised with full service history subsequently….

If you get a good one, keep them at all costs.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
But it's not worth the ink you're using.
It is if you pop the invoice of oil etc into your service folder. As for pumping out oil my common sense tells me you aren't removing any filings from sump plug or bottom of sump?

Likes collected
Funster No
But it's not worth the ink you're using.
It forms a record of maintenance supported by documentation. People who buy the vehicle can make their own mind up as to whether they find it informative or not. It also tells me what has or has not been done and when.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
How Fiat can get away with charging these ridiculous prices is beyond belief.
Because people pay it. Most of the work done at Fiat Professional garages is to company vehicles. They make the numbers up and no one ever questions it.
Doing a job in 1 hour and charging for 2 because that's what the book says is nothing short of fraud.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
Would you believe I actually enjoy servicing my vehicles. I have four cars including a classic merc and a Discovery I bought new in 2001 and has only been serviced by me. I also service my aircraft rwith a 6 litre Lycoming o -320. Oil is cheap considering the job it does and if you do it yourself you can do many more oil changes for less than paying someone else to do a relatively easy task. It helps stop the risk of corrosion when mono is laid up for any length of time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back