How much for an Oil & Filter change

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Lots more to fund in that £150 per hour, than the local garage who answers the phone himself and no corporate image to fund.
Although £300 sounds a bargain as my most expensive service ever was a 4 year major at £2800.Front pads was the thing extra needed.
Please tell us what work was carried for that price as it seems an extremely high price.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Just picked up my Fiat based Hymer from my local Commercial garage. It's a 2.3 ltr Ducato 2016.

Parts 94.51
Labour 90.00 (1.5 hours)
VAT 36.90

Total 221.41.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
As an aside, anyone recommend a dipstick oil removal pump. Seems to be a lot less messy than cracking the sump plug.
Apparently the guy that did mine uses a cheap 12 volt one off of ebay. about £14.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Your not fitting genuine parts though and the oil they recommend is Selinia and not cheap.He is still in warranty so you dont invalidate that by fitting a bosch filter.

Very fair points
No, not really.

1. Bosch - a good reputable vehicle parts manufacturer.

2. To maintain warranty you do not have to use a Fiat garage or Fiat parts. In fact do not make some parts they are supplied by other manufacturers. E.g. use oil of the same spec and you are fine. Selinia oil is expensive but not better than all other oils. Just a rip off agreement between Fiat and Selinia oils.

All you need to do to maintain the warranty is use 'reputable parts' and have it done by a bonafide VAT registered garage.

"Block Exemption Regulations 1400/2002′ (in short 'BER') state that a warranty is not invalidated where: Parts used are of matching quality as the component used for the assembly of a motor vehicle. Parts used are of the same specifications and production standards as those used by the Vehicle Assemblers."

Last edited:

Mikeyv60

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyceo td745
No, not really.

2. To maintain warranty you do not have to use a Fiat garage or Fiat parts. In fact do not make some parts they are supplied by other manufacturers. E.g. use oil of the same spec and you are fine. Selinia oil is expensive but not better than all other oils. Just a rip off agreement between Fiat and Selinia oils.

All you need to do to maintain the warranty is use 'reputable parts' and have it done by a bonafide VAT registered garage.

"Block Exemption Regulations 1400/2002′ (in short 'BER') state that a warranty is not invalidated where: Parts used are of matching quality as the component used for the assembly of a motor vehicle. Parts used are of the same specifications and production standards as those used by the Vehicle Assemblers."

Yes i believe you are correct, approved parts and lubricants must be used, just hope that they are i suppose ?

Mikeyv60

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyceo td745
Yep… I wouldn’t take any van to a motorhome dealer if I only needed a light bulb for the toilet…
Oh i thought this was about the Fiat side of the motorhome 🤷‍♂️ as the original post was about the cost at a Fiat dealer..

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 SLB on ord
No, not really.

All very true but the reality is that a failure where a pattern part has been fitted will be scrutinised and rejected if there is any doubt.

For example, an engine has a turbo failure and is seen to have a good quality but not OEM oil filter fitted. The manufacturer would likely say something along the lines of ‘we don’t know the filtration properties of that filter and it may have caused the turbo to fail’ meaning the owner would have to fight hard to get the claim authorised which could be expensive.

Also goodwill isn’t covered under the BER regs so you wouldn’t get any goodwill on a just out of warranty failure.

Unfortunately manufacturers have parts sales targets to meet as have their dealers so they will protect their business and obey the rules but only where they have to.

Personally and only where I have to, I’ll pay the Fiat premium until my warranty expires and then go trusted independent.

Mikeyv60

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyceo td745
All very true but the reality is that a failure where a pattern part has been fitted will be scrutinised and rejected if there is any doubt.

For example, an engine has a turbo failure and is seen to have a good quality but not OEM oil filter fitted. The manufacturer would likely say something along the lines of ‘we don’t know the filtration properties of that filter and it may have caused the turbo to fail’ meaning the owner would have to fight hard to get the claim authorised which could be expensive.

Also goodwill isn’t covered under the BER regs so you wouldn’t get any goodwill on a just out of warranty failure.

Unfortunately manufacturers have parts sales targets to meet as have their dealers so they will protect their business and obey the rules but only where they have to.

Personally and only where I have to, I’ll pay the Fiat premium until my warranty expires and then go trusted independent.
Totally agree, whilst under warranty, why run the risk to save a few quid.
As you have said its up to you to prove as well.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Oh i thought this was about the Fiat side of the motorhome 🤷‍♂️ as the original post was about the cost at a Fiat dealer..

Your a bit behind, everyone already knows I wouldn’t go to a fiat dealer….😎

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Since Covid it seems that businesses have developed a more modern pricing strategy in line with energy suppliers and government taxing. Work out the actual price, double or even treble it .... then add VAT. Supermarkets have found this to be quite profitable too.:giggle:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Engine oil and oil filter - very easy and cheap to do it yourself. Also you can buy much better oil (fully synthetic) online than any garage will typically use.

The only thing ever remotely tricky is getting the old filter off, it’s a bit messy the old fashioned way bashing a big screwdriver through it, best to buy a filter removal tool which attaches to a rachet and makes it a doddle.

I do my own oil and filter every 6000 miles and have done it 4 times in the last 12 months. 2.8JTD lump with very easy access to the filter. It’s only one bolt (the drain plug).

It takes about an hour (cold) or as little as 30min in warm weather and most of that is waiting for the oil to drain fully and carefully filling to the correct level.

7 ltr full synthetic from Amazon about £35 and a dual chamber filter is about £10. You can use semi synthetic, if so the oil can be had for £20-25.

Have a large drip tray ready to catch oil from both filter attachment and drain hole. A large oven pan will often do it, you want a capacity of min 10ltr, there will only be max 7ltr of oil coming out, but you don’t want to slop it everywhere carrying it.

Don’t overtighten the new filter. Put some fresh oil on the seal/s, spin it up so it’s snug (stops turning easily) then about half to 2/3 of another turn, until it becomes difficult to turn it more. Think, hand tight for an average lady or 12 yr old child, not hand tight for Tyson Fury.

Ideally replace but alternatively clean and roughen the copper sealing washer under the drain plug. Don’t leave it out. Don’t overtighten the drain plug, if not experienced or confident use a torque wrench and apply the specified torque.

Making sure you are parked on the flat, Carefully refill with 90-95% of the stated amount of oil. check presence on bottom of dipstick ideally above the lower marker. Add more if necessary but it usually won’t be. run engine for 5-10 min. key off, leave at least 30min then measure again and adjust the level to the top of the dipstick (or follow the manufacturer procedure for checking if it’s electronic).

It’s very simple, your engine will thank you and once you have done it once you can look forward to never being ripped off for an oil change again, at least on your camper. Remeber to dispose of the oil properly, at a recycling centre on next visit. Used oil is nasty stuff. Use the Marigolds if you can’t get it out without covering your hands, as I never can.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
As long as your Independent is registered with your manufacturer, as in my case (Adria) you can use them for servicing etc. But keep Invoices as you will be required to email copies to your dealer for their records. Obviously make sure oil and filter is OE quality, and ask them to state what they used on your Invoice as proof.
But for warranty repairs I use the supplying dealer (White Arches/Northants) As finally they have got their main man Craig from workshop to look after all warranty claims 🙏 Thank god as last two guy's were useless ! ! !
Now thankfully everything is in hand ✋️ Photo's taken and sent of my snag list, Craig confirmed all covered and been submitted to Manufacturer and waiting on replacement part's (8-12 Week's) normally 8 weeks he said in most cases.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
That's what took all the time putting 5 gallon of oil in.:Eeek:
£50 for 5 litres (1 gallon ish) is about right for Ducato fully synthetic oil. But the modern Ducato only takes 6 litres with a new oil filter.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
Just over 6 actually, think it's 6.38 ltrs so need buy least 7 can be expensive 🙈 I've found Miller's XF Premium oil offer correct spec for the 2.2 euro 6 . . . It's Peugeot/Citroen and DS which is for the Fiat based Ducato 0w-30 ACEA C2 - Fiat 9.55535-DS1. ML Performance seem be cheapest on Ebay, £37.18 for a 5 ltr bottle then add singles or another 5 ltr prob work out cheaper and have 3 ltrs or so left for topping up 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20231019_095919_Chrome.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Lots more to fund in that £150 per hour, than the local garage who answers the phone himself and no corporate image to fund.
Although £300 sounds a bargain as my most expensive service ever was a 4 year major at £2800.Front pads was the thing extra needed.
Is that a misprint? Surely must be..what van was that? BUSBY.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
£307.14 for oil and filters , oil £50 a gallon so £250, oil filters £10, pollen filter £20 so what cost £220 + labour?
Perhaps I am living in the past but it does seem a bit steep.

£50 for 5 litres (1 gallon ish) is about right for Ducato fully synthetic oil. But the modern Ducato only takes 6 litres with a new oil filter.
That's correct but Alan is mistakenly saying £250 for oil, I was just teasing. ::bigsmile:

Mikeyv60

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyceo td745
Can i ask who that was with please?
How olds the van as R1234yf air con refrigerant is much more expensive to regass than the old 134a

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back