Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
Why not just give the guy a chance, he comes on here for simple advice from all us “experts” to read all the negative comments on it. Hope he comes back and posts an update 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Unless he can access the computer to see if the doors were actually locked he wont know. ( unless he has the puncture wound under the drivers handle)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Generally speaking;
If you've got a coachbuilts van, either fit deadlocks or something to strap/chain n/s to o/s doors.
Then fit a Milenco door lock. That product allows one to put a metal bar across the door FROM THE INSIDE! or OUTSIDE.

OP
OP
seascape72
Jul 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo
They pushed a small round implement up under the driver’s door handle and popped the lock. Look underneath it carefully, you will see a mark.
Yep. I would never have noticed it unless told to look for it. Thanks.

20240901_133225.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
seascape72
Jul 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo
Here is my thread after exactly the same happened to us.
Very helpful. I am looking into getting a Pro-plate installed. Any recommended installers in the south of England?

OP
OP
seascape72
Jul 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo
The chances are that the doors were not even locked despite leaving the keys in the ignition.. which in itself is a big no no.
If The passenger door was opening first then the entral locking was probably never engaged in the first place.
The moral is . Never overnight
in a Service station especially one near a ferry port and never leave keys in the ignition.
If we ever just stop in a service station one of us always stays with the van and all doors are kept locked even if just fuelling up. (y)
The OP was very lucky.
Why not just give the guy a chance, he comes on here for simple advice from all us “experts” to read all the negative comments on it. Hope he comes back and posts an update 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Thanks PP Bear. To all those aghast at me leaving the keys in the ignition, I do not normally do that but I pulled over, checked the doors were locked and forgot to take the keys out of the ignition before I went straight to sleep. But evidently that was irrelevant to the attempted break-in. I was not aware that the Ducato is so easy to get into and I will certainly take more precautions in future.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Very helpful. I am looking into getting a Pro-plate installed. Any recommended installers in the south of England?
We did it ourselves using youtube videos to see how to access inside of door , remove Remis blinds etc. it didn’t involve anything difficult once you know how to remove things. I would think any motorhome repairers would do it.
Did you find a tiny dink under the handle?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wheny daughter's car was stolen the police said the thieves have laptops that fire all the key unlock codes very fast, they keep going until the indicators flash

Is that just for keyless entry or will it do them all ?

This is not how it works any more. In the old day 20 odd years ago this may have worked.

Modern cars use an encyptions system where the message is encrypted and this provides authentication. A code sent by a laptop will not be encrypted using the correct key.

The problem van owners may have is the what is called Man in the Middle attacks (MITM). You have probable seen this in the news. This only works for vehicles that automatically unlock in the presence of the fob I believe.
The laptop tries to trigger a fob to respond. It then sits the middle and relays the data backwards and forwards.

Best bet is to keep the keys in a metal box or pouch when not in use if you have this type of system.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Get some of these Thatcham deadlocks. A highly visible deterant, nobody will ever even try 😎👌View attachment 943031

That is my first choice for a security system. Visible and makes breaking in undesirable. They cannot open the door for a fast escape and stealing the vehicle is unattractive as they would make the vehicle unsellable after the theft without a great deal of work.

Jul 5, 2020
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696F
Exp
4yrs
This is not how it works any more. In the old day 20 odd years ago this may have worked.

Modern cars use an encyptions system where the message is encrypted and this provides authentication. A code sent my a laptop will not be encrypted using the correct key.

The problem van owners may have is the what is called Man in the Middle attacks (MITM). You have probable seen this in the news. This only works for vehicles that automatically unlock in the presence of the fob I believe.
The laptop tries to trigger a fob to response. It then sits the middle and relays the data backwards and forwards.

Best bet is to keep the keys in a metal box or pouch when not in use if you have this type of system.
Perhaps you could update Southampton C.I.D.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The problem with alarms is by the time the alarm goes off they've damaged your door 😑 I don't think a flashing LED will deter them, they'll try anyway seeing as they are so easy to open, worse case scenario for them is they have to run off

OP
OP
seascape72
Jul 12, 2024
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo
We did it ourselves using youtube videos to see how to access inside of door , remove Remis blinds etc. it didn’t involve anything difficult once you know how to remove things. I would think any motorhome repairers would do it.
Yes Riverbankannie, I posted a photo in my previous reply to your helpful post. It isn't a hole exactly, more of a little dent in the gasket and a slight mark under the handle.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Perhaps you could update Southampton C.I.D.
Not my job. I suspect you think the police know better than me?

Look up "Rolling codes", any half decent system stops accepting attempts for a couple of minutes after a number of failed attempts.
In the meantime the code has changed again. In the 80s, 90s and perhaps later for a few lazy manufacturers a single code was tied to the fob and car and scanning through would have worked.
In early 2000 this was unacceptable because laptops came down in price and scanning for codes as you say became trivial. Manufacturers implemented the rolling code system to prevent this.
Pretty much any vehicle made after 2000 will have a fob with a rolling code that is not susceptible to the brute force attack as described.

With Rolling codes the code changes after every use. And brute force attacks cause the system to pause inputs for a few minutes making the process even slower that it would be.

Those are two very, very basic technologies, the PKE (Public Key Encryption) found on newer systems make it even harder to hack and impossible for the brute force methods to even be attempted.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They pushed a small round implement up under the driver’s door handle and popped the lock. Look underneath it carefully, you will see a mark.
I'm sure they can do either door & on transist definitely the mark6/7 it can be done on either the side door or the rear door but is far more difficult.It is also why i have a stainless steelplate on the side door directly over where any attack can take place to access the central locking
f The passenger door was opening first then the entral locking was probably never engaged in the first place.
As has been stated it can be disabled by accessing the control rod easily through the door .Fiat isn't the ony vehicle that is able to be opened this way but is the easiest
You must have Riverbankannie on ignore then.... Post 7 is hidden if ignore is set.
so is #26 for me?
Yep. I would never have noticed it unless told to look for it. Thanks.

View attachment 942970
Thanks for coming back & confirming that it was what was thought. Take no notice over the doom mongers. I like others,park only in service areas, aire de repos, lay bays etc, during my travels .nowhere else.
Yes he posted

as an aside for some of you I have a Transit 2007 what is known as a mark 7. I believe this applies to all from 2006-2014

On the PVC the only door with a mechanical lock is the drivers. This would also be the case with a C class.
All other doors ,passenger ,side & rear require the remote to unlock or the physical key to be used.
The drivers door lock has a similar failing to the Fiat in that a simple pair of water pump pliers gripping the outer cover of the door lock & forcing in either direction, actually unlocks the central locking just as if you had used the key.
The answer to this is a circular tube around the lock & secured under it & all secured with the original lock slide internally.
Or as posted fit dead locks to both front doors.

To return to the remote again. The battery on the 2006-2014 transit remote is not removable but is rechargeable. The thing that most people,including me, do not realise is that the battery is charged by the key being in the ignition..

Normally this is not a problem unless you park up for long periods .Like me,:rolleyes:

In 2022 I parked at the daughter's. I am lh drive so reverse on drive with drivers door tight against a wall
both cab doors deadlocked externally .Internally both mechanically locked so only way in through them is to break window & climb in& out .
Rear doors are always dead locked internally with upper & lower shoot bolts except during the day when I access van for tools.
Rear & side doors also have external milenco slide locks.
Normally the only way of accessing the van is through the side door . Which is deadlocked externally always & if I go out or have no reason to access the van the central locking is activated & with the dead locking turned on .
So having been parked for 3 weeks & with multiple daily to & fro for tools etc.lock,deadlock,unlock ,lock, deadlock 20,30 + times a day,
Then went out ,nothing. :rolleyes: When it dawned on me that the key was flat & 5 minutes later you tube was telling me it charged via the ignition:doh:
Now even leaning over neighbours wall & using the door lock only opens the cab doors!!! Fail safe as they assume you can access through cab door & unlock side or rear using the internal latch.
That is if i didn't have the cab doors mechanically locked with access only from the rear:laughing:
A few minutes more on you tube & I came across a bloke :laughing:who had done a similar thing whilst converting his van & reliably informed me that if I didn't have access to another transit or ford vehicle with same shape key then I needed the charger for an electric toothbrush :unsure:as that charged the same way ; inductively.
so tooth brush charger it was for a few minutes enough to get me in.
So now when I go to bed at night when parked up long term, that's more than 2 nights to you & me , the keys go in the ignition.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018

Modern cars use an encyptions system where the message is encrypted and this provides authentication. A code sent my a laptop will not be encrypted using the correct key.

The laptop tries to trigger a fob to response. It then sits the middle and relays the data backwards and forwards.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't think a flashing LED will deter them,

I disagree. It's funny how so many people are woken by someone in their cab, but I've never known anyone to be woken by their own alarm and even if they were, the burglar will likely have scarpered at the same time you wake up. . Alarms for motorhomes work (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back